Prince GTB Carbon Fibre Airbox - expressions of interest

260Coupe

Gav

The air box is fitted to my Triple 44 Mikuni's so yes it will definitley fit , and Webers as well...........the variable is the length of the intake manifold.

If you have a minimum 120mm between the carb throttle body and the strut tower it will fit

The plan was to make the airboxes with a solid back plate so it can be used for 40's, 44's 45's etc,  so it can be used on Dellorto's etc as well.

I can make a template for the holes so it will be easy to mark out the back plate for drilling to suite Mikuni 44's and Weber's will be very close.

For the period look, you can get them painted to a colour of choice rather than leave it in natural C/F as the finish would be clear gell coated and smooth.

cheers

Al.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

For the period look, you can get them painted to a colour of choice rather than leave it in natural C/F as the finish would be clear gell coated and smooth.

cheers

Al.

I was thinking that, I really like the orange air box on the standard twin SU's in the engine bay (or as my friends call it the 'guitar'). A red air box on triple mikuni's wouldn't raise any eye-brows should the kind constable plod pull me over for an inspection. It would I imagine look very 'correct'. It's all about stealth with me ;).

I was pulled over earlier this year for a road side RBT and road worthy check and apart from the wind screen washers not working (due to a kink in the water line) all was fine .........nothing was said about the airbox and induction system on my Zed.

The first thing checked was the crank case vent which I pointed out was connected back into the air box as was the rocker cover vent, I also had a noise test and all good .

• Administrators

I was pulled over earlier this year for a road side RBT and road worthy check and apart from the wind screen washers not working (due to a kink in the water line) all was fine .........nothing was said about the airbox and induction system on my Zed.

The first thing checked was the crank case vent which I pointed out was connected back into the air box as was the rocker cover vent, I also had a noise test and all good .

Is this sort of testing happening more often in Australia these days? I feel they are cracking down on modifications etc.. In recent years as a way of deterring hoon behaviour. Just another reason to make everything legit.

Sorry to say I am out. Now the why I am out.

I have just managed to secure a NOS one of these Prince GTB airboxes for $450 AUD - I still have to pay for shipping from Japan to me here in NZ and import duties. But I am one happy bloke.

• Administrators

Sorry to say I am out. Now the why I am out.

I have just managed to secure a NOS one of these Prince GTB airboxes for $450 AUD - I still have to pay for shipping from Japan to me here in NZ and import duties. But I am one happy bloke.

I hate you where did you find it? I typed prince in on Yahoo auctions and got nothing back.

I'll swap you 12 L14 rods for it? Haha.

That's a score mate I would be well happy with that too!

I hate you where did you find it? I typed prince in on Yahoo auctions and got nothing back.

I'll swap you 12 L14 rods for it? Haha.

That's a score mate I would be well happy with that too!

lol hmm let me think about that....NO....these days I would not use a 35+ year old rod in any motor I build if I want the L14 spec I would have custom ones made if none where available.

It was on Yahoo but you needed to search for S54B ie the model code for the GTB. It had a buy now of Jp Y90000 but it was a no reserve auction with a start bid of Jp Y39000 and my agent was the only bidder :) so a very good find and purchase.

I still have to pay my agent his fee and shipping to me which is an approx $150 AUD but I am more than happy given it is NOS aka new in the factory box. These are very rare these days. I would love to own a real S54B. One day you never know

Well done mike, I was very nearly your bidding competition though, I was waiting for some cash to come through but it didn't happen so I had to let it go. I think the seller actually started the bidding at 30,000 yen then bumped it to 39, maybe he was worried no one was going to bid ;)

Right I know I said I was out as I have one of my own coming from Japan - I have decided if we can get the numbers I would still want a copy version too :)

So I am in again :D - I have managed to get another member interested also.

1. Nzeder

2. Gav240z

3. BAM083

4. acf321

Anymore - I personally don't care if it take 12 months to get the number but as long as we do it would be shame to have such a nice looking/and proven item not available to us. There is no perfect solution as each engine build will be different but the setup Alan came up with looks good, works and works well.

The thing I like about this setup is it works with the longer intake aka redline and cannon as not many do. I did consider another unit from Japan that was designed for the S20 powered cars aka GT-R and Z432. Others including HS30-H have successfully installed these units on the L-Gata engine by flipping the unit. These units from Japan are not cheap but these come with built in ram tubes/trumpets and again work well on the cars.

Here are some pics of HS30-H from classiczcars if you want to take a look - however from the looks they will not work with the redline/cannon length type of intake manifold.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/fairlady-240zg-hs30-h/p1579-new-camcover-and-airbo.html

This is why I am keen on this setup - it works on the longer intake manifolds and my engine builder (when I start my engine build) wanted to try the long units.

Bump to see if others are interested in this still?

Also my genuine Prince GTB airbox (or as it states on the part number Duct Air) arrived today and I see why Alan needed to modify this to work as the Prince G7 triple manifold must have each carb on a slight angle to level the carbs out (assume the G7 mounted in the S54 is higher in the front vs the rear).

• 1 month later...

I thought I may as well post here as it's semi related. I ended up going with this air box from R-factory, Aluminium backing plate, fibreglass outer with a knife edged 'egg ring' with steel mesh screen fitted. It's bewdiful  :-* Most important is it will let me run big stacks.

Will the mesh effect air flow into the box, it's similar to flywire only it's stainless steel?

This one is for Alan Fields, what brand airfilter do you use in the 280 airbox? My plan at this stage is to duct it in a similar style to your green 260Z.

Thanks, Gareth.

post-1489-144023728955_thumb.jpg

post-1489-144023728961_thumb.jpg

I'm considering cutting out the mesh, if it will improve the airflow.

Without your suggestion Mike I may have never even considered it, Thanks.

Any sort of material introduced into the intake system will have some effect on flow/performance i guess it just depends how much(if even measurable)

This one is for Alan Fields, what brand airfilter do you use in the 280 airbox? My plan at this stage is to duct it in a similar style to your green 260Z.

Hi Gareth

I use a 280z filter housing (from the US 280z - S30 body with injected L28)......can be found on Ebay for very little $$$ although shipping can be exy from the US......think mine cost around $50 all up plus another $50 to sand blast and powder coat

Filter is R31 Skyline.....fits perfectly.

post-301-144023728965_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alan.

Mike, I did see uni filter do a washable filter for the R31 skyline, looks to be the same material as their socks.

Looking up the unifilter catalog R31 = TT267-155S a Z31 = TTN-4200S if I lookup a cross reference for the K&N for the 280z (USDM) I find the following.

K&N = 33-2010 (correct for the 280z and Z31 300ZX) this cross references to Ryco A345 which cross references to TTN-4200S

Going backwards from the R31 I get

TT267-155S = Ryco A360 = K&N 33-2031 which as K&N have the sizing on their site is thinner and other dimensions are slightly different

K&N 33-2010 = 35mm H, 270mm L, 156mm W

K&N 33-2031 = 29mm H, 279mm L, 167mm W