Some more aero mods to the Zed

redrbzed

I have been busy adding some aero bits to the Zed,

Rear diffuser is now on and looking pretty good if I say so myself.

The front diffuser has been improved by removing the step at the entry and adding aero fences.

Now it's just a matter of getting on the track and trying it out.

cheers,

Sinisha

post-464-144023620272_thumb.jpg

post-464-144023620278_thumb.jpg

post-464-144023620285_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't really say how much difference it made at the Island as I haven't raced there for 8 years!!

Have to say, what an awesome track!

But, I can say that at Sandown I have dropped about a second a lap.

I think it is mostly due to better rear grip.

260DET, I have attached a few pics of the front diffuser, this has made a BIG difference to the front grip on my car.

cheers,

Sinisha 

post-464-144023630627_thumb.jpg

post-464-14402363063_thumb.jpg

With the chin spoiler setup I currently have on I was having some high speed issues. Was on the Main straight just past pit exit where the track falls down hill a little, every lap as I hit this drop the front of the Ricey would violently shake its head for a second or two (like the moto gp bikes do)  :o never did it with the large air dam and was a little scary at 145mph!

• 11 months later...

Here are some pics of the new wing, this is the first attempt with mounting height, will lower it a bit after Sandown.

Ran out of time to get the support blades right, looks a tad bigger in the pics compared to real life (looks like I have gone a bit "time attack" on the Zed)

cheers,

Sinisha 

post-464-144023673604_thumb.jpg

post-464-14402367361_thumb.jpg

post-464-144023673614_thumb.jpg

OMG, it's not as big as it looks, it's bigger! If you are chasing rear end grip you just got it. You might need to put a stiffer springs in the rear because your gonna need it. I think you need to give the car a bit more rake.  ie. lower the front and raise the rear. Will be interesting to see the feed back on this one. Good luck in your quest for over all traction. Personally I think more rear end rubber would help. But 340 KW is a lot of grunt at the back wheels.

well done Sinisha with a PB

I'm still to arrange a front air dam extension and try out a rear wing , but intend to get off the tractor and race at Winton on 29th april.I am starting to think that I probably don't need them if I've only got 250 rwkw compared to what you have in your beautifily set up z.

Definately a credit to you, a fast credit at that, congrats again.

I will be watching for further aero improvements or tweaks by you .

ALSO

My z has been transformed from the chicken coup exhaust [ 18 inches of chicken coup wire up each  pipe , Sandown noise black flag ] to a 3inch rear exit with crossover, hopefully this will satisfy the noise police.Might perform a bit better as well, without the restriction.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the complements, I'd like to see you at Sandown again with your nice new exhaust!

I had a bit of a scare yesterday after the first run, an official came up to me and said my car was too loud, I was a bit thrown back by this.

Whilst I was trying to figure out how this could be and what I could do about it he came back and said "sorry wrong car, it was another red car with a big spoiler on the back"

Just to top it off, at the end of the day another official came over and said in his opinion my rear wing is illegal!!

Anyway, here is a better pic of the wing.

Cheers,

Sinisha

post-464-144023673763_thumb.jpg

Just to top it off, at the end of the day another official came over and said in his opinion my rear wing is illegal!!

Depends on the rules you run to, for CAMS 2B Marque/Prod Sports it certainly is, for 2A sports cars I would have check the rules, if you are running trck days for no points scores, who gives a rat's?????

• 1 month later...

Some more aero mods.....

With the wing working so well I need to balance the aero better, so I have fitted a splitter on the front.

There will be some vertical air fences in front of the tyre to try and get some stagnation on that part of the splitter as well.

In the photo you can see a mock up for fitting purposes.

Looking forward to the MSCA sprint at Sandown to see how it will go.

P.S. I have ticked the passenger session.  ;)

cheers,

Sinisha

post-464-144023679084_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Decided to try and improve the under bonnet air flow to reduce front lift.

Had the guys at Alfa Fibreglass add a pair of big vent (that I have been looking for and finally found) to one of their glass bonnets.

This may not be to everyone's liking, but for me it's function over form.

Apologies for the image quality, they're from Fraser's phone.

cheers,

Sinisha

post-464-14402368269_thumb.jpg

post-464-144023682693_thumb.jpg