[Diff] Which type/size

Hello everyone,

Just enquiring on diff's.

What kind of diff's will fit straight or with very little modification into the 260Z?

R31/R33 diff's?

Z32 diff's?

I am completely lost on this topic, but want something modern that's not 20+ years old, and with LSD.

• Moderators

An almost ready to bolt in diff would be the one out of a DR30? 2 door import turbo Skyline (R31 shape). My LSD came from one of those (R200) and all you have to change is the input flange and your original output shafts fit but left/right swapped. Ratio on the auto's though is a high 4.375; great for accelaration but crap on the highway.

I have been through 4 diffs in the 4 years of having my 240z on the road.

1st was an old school 3.9 R200. This was way too heavy.

So then I changed to a Detroit locked old school 4.6 R180. This was a great diff but the wear and tear scared me.

So then I changed to a WRX STI 3.9 R180 with the output flanges from John C in the US. This was great and really got the car moving down Conrod but I was never happy with the ratio for most track work.

So now I have another WRX STI 4.4 R180 with the same output shafts. This is by far my favourite setup.

I have a Z31 200ZR LSD R200 in mine, need to make custom adaptors as it has CV's instead of uni's.

Again, 4.375 ratio

You can use R200 output flanges from a 280ZX without CV shafts, maybe late 260Z (280Z here in North America) will work as well, I don't know for sure that they are the same as the 280ZX flanges. This would allow you to retain the original axles shafts.

I would upgrade to the 300ZX (Z31) anyway, since they are stronger and in my experience smoother while driving than the universal equipped shafts.

Wow, WRX diff's fit?

That's incredible!

My freind was suggesting that I use a HR31 diff, as that is the only straight bolt-on LSD diff, but then again, how easy are they to obtain eh

Yeah the WRX STI runs an R180. Externally they are exactly the same as the Zed R180. Internally they are totally different. Hence the need for the output shafts. The 3.9 version is very common and quite cheap (around $400) but the 4.4 is a bit rare and more expensive (around $800)

• 3 years later...

You can use R200 output flanges from a 280ZX without CV shafts, maybe late 260Z (280Z here in North America) will work as well, I don't know for sure that they are the same as the 280ZX flanges. This would allow you to retain the original axles shafts.

I would upgrade to the 300ZX (Z31) anyway, since they are stronger and in my experience smoother while driving than the universal equipped shafts.

Can you use any Z31 differential, or does it have to be the 200ZR model from a manual tranny setup?

My current diff is leaking and is extremely rough when changing gears; it's almost as if Mike Tyson punches the shafts...

Are you sure it's the diff that's the problem and not the diff mount or the strap?

If it clunks when changing gear it could well be that either of the mount or strap are stuffed.

Crawling under the car, and just peering at the factory diff mount does not work.

You need to remove it and use a screwdriver, trying to prise it apart, to see it it is torn.

The "rubber band" over the top is simply there to stop the nose of the diff trying to join you insde the cabin, when you apply torque through driveline.

If you discover it is torn, dont throw it away, but, if you are able and willing, post it to ke, as I can get them re-rubbered. I need min qty f ten items at a time to get this done.

Engine mounts,

Transmission mounts,

Diff mounts, all done in a harder compound rubber, same as Nismo Competition specification items.