240Z Replacement Seat Options

DAZDA

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and couldn’t really find any answers to my question.

Does anyone know of any seats (from another car or brand new) that give better lateral support (shoulders, ribs, legs, etc – similar to that of a race seat) which either fit the 240Z seat rails or the rails from the donor seat fit the mounting points on the 240Z chassis, therefore removing the need to make custom mounting brackets?

If there aren't, I'll make some brackets up I guess...  :)

I recently fitted the Bride Digo (not type-R) seats with the Bride Digo-S30 rails to my car.

Not the cheapest option, but they just fit, i didn't have to make or modify brackets and are awesome seats.

They are also japanese, so i guess they are like the watanabe's of the seat world  :D

Chris (Chris240) has mx5 seats in his car, and was quite happy with them, maybe pm him for some of the more detailed questions.

I'm planning on using Rx7 Series 6/7 seats in my car, there was a write up on Classic Z cars showing how they only needed a slight modification of the Mazda seat rail to bolt straight in.

From my 'limited' experience, most aftermarket seats sit too high in the car, once you strap on a race helmet your head hits the roof, and your legs foul on the steering wheel.

For a short while, i had some OBX race seats in my zed, minus the seat base cushion.

• 1 month later...

hi guys

just wondering if the principles found in the below link can be applied to most seats for the 240z?

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/AcuraSeats/AcuraBeck.htm

for example take off seat rails > make a DIY bracket to which the 240z rails/sliders can be put on > bolt into car? (that way we dont have to worry about brackets sitting the seats up too high like the bride rails which are made for the 240z).

ive been researching this for a while but people are very vague with their descriptions just saying 'some modifications' were done etc.

really really want to fit some 32gtr seats into the z.

It's very simple, but your welds need to be up to it, the forces a seat actually undergoes under normal driving conditions is substantial, just take a look at some of the Zed seats that have suffered metal fatigue at the elbow between the upper and lower cushions.

Alignment is your main concern, deviation in this area can cause the forward and aft adjustment of any seat unstable.

I have posted a pic of the seats I mentioned in this thread recently, I fitted these to my previous Ford Probe which is now my parts car, I unpicked the original mount elbows which are not unlike a Zed's, and also the mount elbows on the seats, then ran 2 lengths of square 90X 15 from memory square tubes to which I welded the seat rails to.

Bolted the original Probe elbows in place, and sat each seat on them, tacked them, unbolted the elbows took out the seats and then welded the new assy's.

I was so happy with these seats as far as comfort that I'm considering reusing them in the Zed later after  have them reupholstered with some additional padding in the lumber area.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023625696_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess this is sort of related to seat options, I seem to have the issue of hitting my head on the roof of my 240, during normal driving I have to tilt my head to prevent.

Does the fitment of aftermarket bucket seats lower you considerably? if so which brand seem to sit lowest?

Hey Zeddo,

Welcome to the forum!! I know in my 240 i had these little black spacers that sat the seats an inch higher. Im pretty sure these were from the factory so you could pull these out to gain a bit extra!!

Hi Benny,

Cheers for the welcome, I will do an intro shortly!!

I will have a look for the spacers, fingers crossed they were a standard item as it sucks hitting my head driving on uneven road and over speed humps!

Cheers,

Heath

• 2 weeks later...

my newest acquisition.  8)

left - not sure which bride model

right - bride ergo 1

came with genuine bride ae86 rails.

any advice. would it be easier to mod the 86 rails? or unbolt and use the stock seat rails?

photo12.jpg

Looks good.

I was thinking of going and having a look to see whether any of the leather 911 seats would fit (or how much pain it would be too make them fit) but never manage to get round to it. As they or the s2000 seats seem like a good modern 'look-a-like'.

Huw

• 11 months later...

I recently fitted the Bride Digo (not type-R) seats with the Bride Digo-S30 rails to my car.

Not the cheapest option, but they just fit, i didn't have to make or modify brackets and are awesome seats.

They are also japanese, so i guess they are like the watanabe's of the seat world  :D

Any paticular reason you did not go with the Digo R? Thinking of getting some.

Any paticular reason you did not go with the Digo R? Thinking of getting some.

Yes. I didn't go with the R because they are really bucket like and more for racing. I wanted a seat that was sporty and reasonably comfy for street use. I tried both and the R was PITA for getting in and out of.