Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated

Brabham

Alan could I please get the website for city auto?

I will also need a G-nose bonnet hinge set too will I not? Do they come with torsion bars or do I use the torsion bars from an existing set of normal hinges?

On the wheels Alan, where would I be likely to source a set and how many were produced? Also would it be advisable to use them on a track now or are they likely to fall apart? Cheers. :)

Actually, I don't think City Auto have a website. If they do, then I don't know it. However, you can call them on 02768 85366 ( or better, fax them on 02768 87104 ). City Auto sell their own - admittedly slightly basic - G-Nose hinge set, but Bad Dog Parts in the USA make their own versions too. You can get away with using the stock short nose torsion bars and bonnet prop, although the factory ZG parts were different.

I know I've recommended Kameari Engine Works to you before, but I'm going to do it again. Your shopping around will probably mean you look like a 'window shopper' to all but the one supplier you choose. I know it's your right as a consumer to shop around and get the best deal you can, but there are any number of variables and if you just choose the cheapest quote you might not feel it was the best choice in the long run. My advice - again - is to trust Kameari. They will do a good job for you.

You would be most likely to find a set of the correct works K.S. 4-spoke wheels on Yahoo Japan auctions from time to time. K's Historic sometimes sell the odd set that they come across, but they are 'reassuringly' expensive. There was a very short run of replicas made a few years back ( aluminium rather than magnesium ) but they only made one size and they too are hard to come across and very expensive. Prices? No comment! I know what I paid for mine, and it still hurts.....

I would not run an original set on the track, except perhaps for gentle 'demo' / show work, as they were 'lifed' by the factory and date stamped accordingly. When you get one of these wheels in your hands you can see why they were 'lifed' and basically scrapped when they had only done a couple of events. I would go for more recently manufactured wheels if I were you.

Thanks Alan,

more great advice. :) Do you know of any wheel manufacturers that make a similar looking wheel to the works wheel? Dragway here in Australia made a four spoke that looks similar from a distance, but again it is a lot narrower at around 7 inches and possibly only one size. Will take your good advice on the wheels and steer clear of the works wheels for track work and try to find something that looks similar.

Another alternative would be to get a set of originals and take them to dragway to get copies made with additional reinforcement to make them last a lifetime, using possibly alloy rather than magnesium. I know that this has been done for Porsche 917 wheels by dragway, so they may be willing to do it for these wheels.

Are you able to PM me a rough guide on what I should pay for the works wheels, as these are one of the most essential items for the build, there are other things I can live without but a decent replica of the wheels is a must have. :)

What hinge set would you recommend I use with the Kameari G-nose? Do they supply their own or would Bad Dog be preferable?

Thanks for your help, there are few people with the level of knowledge you have in this area.

Cheers. :)

was in Japan just before the quake, got decent pics of the rims and the LY engined car

just have to work out how to shrinky dink them from 460kb to 350kb and post up

advice from Nissan is to NOT use the rims, they are on the car for display purpose only.

Lots of other NICE old cars also got pics of - Zama DNA Collection Hall !

Use http://www.irfanview.com/ (freeware) to shrink them....

If you use M$ Windows there is a free power tool that gives you a right click option "Resize Pictures" - then options are resize original, make copies and most common sizes as choices it is too easy :D

So resize those pics - post up and let us enjoy Nissan goodness. Now back on topic :)

Do you know of any wheel manufacturers that make a similar looking wheel to the works wheel?

Are you able to PM me a rough guide on what I should pay for the works wheels, as these are one of the most essential items for the build, there are other things I can live without but a decent replica of the wheels is a must have. :)

What hinge set would you recommend I use with the Kameari G-nose? Do they supply their own or would Bad Dog be preferable?

They were *similar* to several designs, including the ARE 'Libre' and the Central 20 / Chowini 'Z Sport' wheel. There was an early GOTTI design that was very similar ( so much so that some Japanese fans nicknamed the works KS 4-spokes as "Gottis" - even though they were nothing to do with Gotti ) but this was a 2 or 3-piece design with a cast centre and spun rim sections. Actually, getting a similar centre piece cast would perhaps be a cheaper and more viable plan, as you could then use readliy available spun rims. Casting the whole things  - in two sizes - would cost a fortune. I've been involved in such a project in the past, and it cost a bomb believe me......

I have a friend here in the UK who is selling an NOS pair of genuine factory ZG bonnet hinges, so I shall PM you his e-mail address.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Thanks guys.

Alan do you have a pic of the Central 20's or the Gotti's and do you know of the dimensions?

Cheers Loui saw the Libre's but not quite as good looking as the works wheels. Here is a picture of the dragways I have been talking about, pretty close and in fact when I first saw the works wheels I thought they might be a variant of these. Have only seen them in 14" not 15" and only around 7" wide.

I wonder if any Datsun people would be interested in re-runs of the wheels. However they would be massively expensive to do so I am guessing probably not. The dragways look very nice, have seen them on one or two zeds and awesome period look. Enjoy.

post-960-144023618709_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alan,

those two sets of wheels are very nice looking and probably a much cheaper option. do you have any idea of the dimensions that they came in? Looks like the Gottis came in two sizes, one for front and one for rear. Was this also true of the central 20's? Will have a look around to see if there are any around in Europe.

Cheers. :)

Brabham,

Those Central 20 'Z Sport wheels Alan posted were actually sourced in Australia and NZ (well I help Alan with the purchase and shipping of both sets, one set from NZ and a second set from QLD - Alan the ones in he pics which set is this? The NZ or Oz ones?) re the sizing of those rims they were both 14x7 so not all that wide really not like the others Alan has mentioned or shown pictures of.

If you find any rims that might be of use for your project on trademe.co.nz or anywhere in NZ I am happy to help from this side of the ditch.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

At this stage, the Gotti's look like they might be the go, had a quick look on ebay but could not find any.

Alan do you know the dimensions and stud pattern of the Gotti's and whether the offset is the same as the works wheels or whether they would fit a zed? Also do you know the name of that particular wheel and is that your set in the pic? Had a look at Gotti's website, they do not do that pattern any more so I will have a look around for some used ones.

From their website their current wheels come in 1/2" increments in width from about 7" to 10". Was this true of this pattern as well? Perhaps a 7 1/2" front and 10" rear may be an option?

Really appreciate the help, never would have known any of this stuff existed before. Cheers. :)

Those Central 20 'Z Sport wheels Alan posted were actually sourced in Australia and NZ (well I help Alan with the purchase and shipping of both sets, one set from NZ and a second set from QLD - Alan the ones in he pics which set is this? The NZ or Oz ones?) re the sizing of those rims they were both 14x7 so not all that wide really not like the others Alan has mentioned or shown pictures of.

Hi Mike,

That picture of the Central 20 'Z Sport' wheel on the car was taken in Japan. It's a friend's 240ZG, and he alternates between the stock steels and hubcaps, the Z Sports and a set of RS Watanabe 8-spokes. It's a lovely car, and it's been in a lot of magazines.

The two sets of Z Sports that you very kindly sourced for me in Aus and NZ ( still MUCH appreciated! ) are in safe storage in the loft for now ( it's heaving with stuff I'm hiding from the Mrs up there.... ) but they will be used on the 432-R replica in rotation with the works Kobe Seiko rally mags for sure. I'm going to paint them black all over - which will change the look quite a lot - and run Dunlop 'M section' historic race tyres for a more period-correct look. Have you seen the Katori brothers' *fake* 432-R in the Japanese magazines? They use black Z Sports on that, and I think it suits it.

Once again, big thanks.

Alan do you know the dimensions and stud pattern of the Gotti's and whether the offset is the same as the works wheels or whether they would fit a zed? Also do you know the name of that particular wheel and is that your set in the pic? Had a look at Gotti's website, they do not do that pattern any more so I will have a look around for some used ones.

Sorry Alex, I don't know anything useful about that particular Gotti wheel centre design at all.

The bronze-rimmed Gottis I posted pics of are not mine, and the pics were found on the internet. I believe the owner made them up himself using vintage Gotti centre castings and new bronze-anodised spun rim sections. I don't even know what that particular design of Gotti centre was called, and only looked into them myself because I was curious about the fact that some of the Japanese Z nuts nicknamed the KS works 4-spokes "Gottis", and I was tracking backwards. Kobe Seiko made a similarly designed wheel for the works Cherries ( in 12" ) and some of the wide arch Sunnies. The works KS 4-spokes that I have are all date-stamped as 1972 manufacture, and the works Sunny wheels were earlier. I believe the 'Gotti' wheel design is slightly later than that.

I'm afraid you will have to dive deep into Gotti wheel history and the European scene to get more answers about them. Sources like WheelWhores.com, the 'Euro Look' scene and neo-classic VW forums might be good sources. Works Alpine A110 and A310, Renaults and Simcas used both Gotti and PLS wheels in period, so any sites or forums which discuss them ( like AutoDiva ) might be good sources of info.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the Gottis and all that. I was just suggesting possibilities for the 'look', either as pattern donors and/or reference material.

Did you contact Rahail about the NOS OEM G-Nose hinges? He also has a good pair of genuine headlamp covers for sale ( recommended ).

Cheers,

Alan T.       

Hi Alan,

I missed out on the ZG headlight covers, and I would also be hesitant in using genuine ones on a track car that may get wrecked. I was therefore wondering if you knew of any suppliers who do replica ZG headlight covers? The stainless trim around the outside is not essential and would be a shame to wreck a genuine set on the track. Cheers. :)

Again, try City Auto in Japan. Turns out they do have a website:  http://www.cityauto.ico.bz/

Apart from City Auto, there are a few people in Japan supplying the same replica sets. You can see them popping up on Yahoo Japan auctions from time to time too.

To be frank, if you park the front end of a G-nosed car in the cabbages then bashed up headlamp covers are going to be the least of your worries.....