Power Steering for 260Z

oldmates260z

I have emailed Warren at Allzparts and it is $475 including steering rack and new cross member (wrong, does not include cross member) and then you need 280zx pump, special hoses and fir electric fuel pump.

I heard from a guy selling one in Brisbane, he had to mod the cross member, but looks like Allzparts do that now

post-482-14402347394_thumb.jpg

I have printed off a few pictures of a nice job done in SA with a Subaru Rack. No butchering of the crossmember. Details are on "The Z Garage". That is the way to go if you want a quality job but I am tipping a few grand from start to finish. Ahhh one day along with everything else. My pholosophy is to do it right and do it once. I have gone cheap and re done things to many times. Cost me heaps in throw away half assed jobs.

that would be brzi's or aka johnnys job.

very nice and did very minimal butchering i think from mem it was put a slot int eh rh engine mount post and smake a dent into the crossmember but guys in the US just rotate the body of the rack to avoid the 2nd part.

Will be my next project as now i had broken neck and back, power steering would be a nice touch.

nato

Subaru liberty rack,1998-02 from memory,$180, shorten and rethread track arms $80, pair of N15 tie rod ends $40,

Cut out in subframe a bit bigger than a 50 cent piece,10 minutes with a grinder on the drivers side of rack so that the original rack mount is re-useable, shorten intermediate shaft, set up to take subaru universal.. all up about $400, plus pump, I had one on my transplant.

Steering intermediate shaft clears rail by about 12mm

2 turns lock to lock, with heaps of feel .

You don't have to butcher the subframe.

post-303-144023473988_thumb.jpg

post-303-144023473995_thumb.jpg

Subaru liberty rack' date='1998-02 from memory,$180, shorten and rethread track arms $80, pair of N15 tie rod ends $40[/quote']

What year for the N15 tie rods I see there are two different N15 tie rods availible. From Camelot they list a TE926 or the TE872

I had p/s on my 260Z (bought it that way)

No idea what rack, but used 260z tie rod ends. There was a slice of the cross member taken out, and the steering column had been modified at the end which attaches to the rack. not sure if it was to change the length or coupling...

it used a 260c pump.

it certainly makes parking alot easier.

post-40-14402347401_thumb.jpg

post-40-144023474016_thumb.jpg

The rack in vertex z's car looks like an earlier Subaru, take it (or a pic of it to a power steering shop and they should be able to ID it.

Tie rod ends on mine, not familliar with those part numbers, number cast on tie rod end is 3E2TRW, I think that there are two racks used, one local (TRW)one Japanese, the Japanese tierod end is probably to long.

The steering arms need a slight reeming for the TRW one.

I started to look for a suitable rack cold, did not know what would fit, but definately needed power as the 1JZ brings the weight up to 1290KGs(good balane though-53%front, 47% rear, engine mounts well back, off the rails, more of this later)

The rack was an import from Brooky parts plus , in Smithfield,(02 8788 8888 They had several hundred racks there and were good enough to let me take in a subframe and find one that was close.

:oops: When I posted the pic's one thing got past me, So used to not seeing them I forgot about them, due to my mounts being on the rails, I don't have mount brackets on my subframe. There could be a clearance problem on the drivers side with the steering take off.

I have another standard subframe that I can do a comparison with,problem at the moment is, due to space problem, the front of car is under a shelf in garage , can't open bonnet, can't move it as the rear end is out of it, and will be for a week, as the urethane moustache bushes I ordered from the States turned out to be for a Corvette, awaiting the correct ones, and not moveable till they arrive .

14/02/07 update after comparing subframes, probably have to take a small mouthfull out of drivers side upright if you are using original mounts.

post-303-144023474022_thumb.jpg

post-303-144023474168_thumb.jpg

So Russ did you use a later model WRX Rack? Are you able to tell me exactly what Rack you used as I need to start shopping around to work out what would be best. I have a V8 in my car and the engnine mounts are well back and shouldn't be in the way. My weight is 50/50 F/R.

I used the MX5 Rack with Pulsar Rod ends. Just had to shorten the rack ends and grind a bit off the cross member and it works fine. Got the idea from Les here in the NSW Zed Club, he recons it works great, I haven't tried it yet, but should when my car is finished later this year.

Anthony :o