RB25DET 260Z 2 seater project for sale

JP

Hi Guys,

After a lot of consideration and a heavy heart I have decided I have to sell my project car.

A lot of you have seen the progress of this over the years, but unfortunately lately progress has stalled due to other work, travel and home  commitments.

Most of you know what you are looking at so I don't need to plug the car too much here, but here is a copy and paste of the ebay spiel:

For sale is a 1977 Datsun 260Z 2 seater.

This has been my project car for a few years and has been a slow, no expense spared project to build my idea of the ideal Z car.

Being a '77 car, it used the stiffer updated body (US 280Z) which I chose as the best base for the extra power planned. The car was bought complete and driven for a short time, it was the straightest Z car I had seen (and I have owned several). All hanging panels, lights and trim come with the vehicle (minus OEM seats).

Basically this car would suit someone considering a RB powered Z project or a lightweight RWD project car. All the hard work and more importantly expense regarding fabrication is complete, however there is enough left to personalise the car to you tastes. Fabrication and repair is often the most daunting part of these projects and the area where big budget blowouts occur, in this case it has already been done. At last estimate the total spend on this project including the car purchase price, body work, fabrication and parts was between $35k-$40k. Hard to believe, but it often happens I now learnt the hard way!

I realise this is a large amount and some cars are built for less in backyards, however you have to consider that no expense spared on structural and safety items as this car was built to be legitimately engineered and 100% road legal as well as confidently safe for its driver and passengers.

Body

The body while very straight, was stripped and sandblasted on a rotisserie. All rust spots were cut and with new metal panels fabricated and welded in.

The frame rails were replaced from the rear and extended/tied into the rear subframe for extra chassis strength.

The body was then seam welded for additional strength and primered.

The underbody has been sound deadened while the cabin and engine bay were painted in Porsche Seal Grey.

Engine

Currently installed is a Series 2 RB25DET from an R33 Skyline halfcut reported to have 90,000kms.

Used is professionally fabricated engine mounts and a genuine brand new Nissan 200ZR Oil Sump to fit the Z cross member configuration.

Fuel Injection

Bosch 040 external fuel pump

Surge tank

Lift pump

Braided lines

Drivetrain

RB25DET gearbox - Much thought, planning and expense went into the professionally fabricated gearbox mount which is often a big hurdle on using this ideal strong gearbox, many opt for the weaker RB20DET gearbox to fit the standard mount.

Customised tail shaft

R200 3.9:1 Clutch LSD rebuilt by Stan Holmes

Customised 300ZX CV shafts

All fabrication was performed by Meridian Motorsport.

Brakes/Suspension

Front 5 stud slotted and vented Brembo rotors (Mercedes) using PBR calipers (VT Commodore)

Rear 5 stud XF falcon disc brakes/handbrake

Coilover suspension on shortened struts

Redrilled crossmember to reduce bump steer

Brakes & suspension were purchased and assembled by Speed Technology.

All bushes have been replaced with a mix of Nissan genuine rubber and Noltec urethane as per expert advice.

Extras

All underbody components sandblasted and painted.

Mitsubishi EvoVI front mount intercooler

Mitsubishi EvoIII Recaro seats/Rails

Rear mounted gel cell battery in battery box and heavy gauge battery wiring

Reskinned Dash

MSA complete rubbers kit

New genuine nissan bonnet in box

Whats left to finish?

Wiring has been started but needs to be completed. Coolant piping needs to be connected. Exhaust and intercooler piping required.

Orginal interior is all present however I have always planned to retrim the car. Exterior paint work required.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140743280570?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1243wt_1185

Ideally I would like to recoup approaching half of what I spent if possible ( the hours are lost forever!), however will consider all serious offers.

I hope most of you can understand and respect that.

Looking at $15,000.

Thanks guys

post-500-144023605661_thumb.jpg

post-500-14402360567_thumb.jpg

post-500-144023605681_thumb.jpg

post-500-144023605703_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I  have a genuine question for JP (sorry Lurch if it's not appropriate).

Would you do this again or buy a car like the one you are selling? This is the sort of project i want to do, but i'm unsure whether i want to do it for the journey or the end result.

Good luck with the sale, if i win the lotto on tuesday i'll give you 60k for it ;)

I  have a genuine question for JP (sorry Lurch if it's not appropriate).

Would you do this again or buy a car like the one you are selling? This is the sort of project i want to do, but i'm unsure whether i want to do it for the journey or the end result.

Good luck with the sale, if i win the lotto on tuesday i'll give you 60k for it ;)

Depends on your background I would say.

I am an automotive electrical engineer so for me I would 100% buy this car in the state it is in because it is exactly where my skills and enjoyment come into play and can still be tailored to the owners taste. The reengineered driveline was a huge expense to me because I wanted it done perfect and it was not something I have skill in yet. It took a huge amount of time and expense and if I had started with this base it would have been finished by now.

If you were a mechanic, or fitter & turner or some other sort of mechanically minded person your enjoyment may be the opposite to mine and you prefer the bodywork/fabrication/mechanical phase more and would like to start form scratch yourself.

When I bought this car I looked at dozens of cars which had the rust cut out just to use as a donor base, basically to avoid the expense and tediousness of doing it myself. This would have been perfect. There were a few around but on inspection none were great and none had the bodywork documented in any way.

• 2 years later...

I just had a look in my garage on the weekend and this is still there.

I've been working fly in fly out this year and with a potential move overseas coming up,  I really have no time to spend on her.

Open to serious offers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

If I had some sort of permanent storage I would definitely not be selling and just wait until life slowed down a little.

I've had a few people look and a few offers, but I have to say in my experience there is no way you could collect all these parts (if you could find them!) without the car for this price.

Likewise you'd be hard pressed to find a 2 seater in this condition for any price, dead straight, perfect original floors not to mention the body work performed with frame rail replacement/extension, seam welding etc

• 3 weeks later...