240 Stone Tray

PZG302

As the title states i'm after a standard stone tray for a 240. Doesn't matter if it needs a few hits of a hammer to get it straight as long as it's sound and doesn't have holes in it. It will be fitted to the race car to help with the aero according to the rules for 2B Marque Sports cars.

Thanks, Matt

Thanks Tim, yeah it needs to be factory to do what I want within the rules.

Thanks for the offer Salty, being in brisvegas it would be nice to find one locally but if there is no joy I will let you know.

I need a standard one to exploit the rules to form an underway in conjunction with a tray on the front spoiler to stiffen it up and then have the inflow continue under the car with a smooth transition to the stonetray. If I use a non standard tray I have to drill 50mm holes to minimise the airflow under the car I am chasing.

Thanks to Richard, I now have a pristine stone tray to fit up once this rain goes away. Hopefully I'll get some time over the next couple of weekends.

Thanks again to Salty and Scooter for their generous offers.

Can some one tell me when the stone tray became a standard Z item? Do they bolt onto the bottom of the chasis rails or the side? I have an early build number and my chasis rails appear not to have any allowance for them. I presume I could retrofit one?

I believe they weren't fitted to the "lightweight" early 240 shell but were fitted to the late 240/260 shells.

It looks to be a pretty easy retrofit, and will hopefully allow me to exploit a small loophole in the 2B rules for production sports cars.

• Moderators

My early 240 (121) does have the threads for the stone tray but somewhere in these last 40 years the bolts have rusted in and somebody broke the heads off the bolts. I do want to re-install the tray but have to easy out the broken bolts first.  Bolts are a M6 x 16? Nothing long but with  "SEMS" (Bolt manufactured with spring and flat washer that can't be removed)

these screws do tend to break easy BUT thats good as the metal is soft and easy to drill out :)

grind whats left till its flat, that will make it easy to drill

the hex head self tapper is easy to find, off the shelf, :)

If you are going to that trouble why not retap the holes to M6? Bloody self tapping screws  :P

• Moderators

Tek screws to me are good for holding fences together or for young guys who want to mount a wing on the back of their commodore, but when I attach things to the zed, I always try to use the original screws / bolts; anything else is a tad too "ghetto" if you know what I mean.

Tek screws to me are good for holding fences together or for young guys who want to mount a wing on the back of their commodore, but when I attach things to the zed, I always try to use the original screws / bolts; anything else is a tad too "ghetto" if you know what I mean.

Tek screws are my friend, though my car is circuit only so too far gone to worry about being a purest. They hold rear hatch perspex in perfectly. :P

• Moderators

Race cars I know are very different; many times held together with gaffa tape or cable ties. Not all my bolts are original, but I do try to keep them all correct. Where I work we have over 40,000 10g x 16mm teks so getting a hold of them is no problem. Not against them, but if I was in the middle of nowhere, I'd consider them..hehe

• Administrators

Can some one tell me when the stone tray became a standard Z item? Do they bolt onto the bottom of the chasis rails or the side? I have an early build number and my chasis rails appear not to have any allowance for them. I presume I could retrofit one?

Weird I thought they all had them too. At least my 73 did, my 72's is missing so I need to find another myself. However I was always under the impression it was fitted to all cars and over the years they went missing.