Got my new Gauges from the States (7)

620Z

G'day boys I got my new gauges from the States yesterday. This should help to modernise the Zed.

Speedo is run from a GPS (No wiring to gear box) and also have about 6-8 digital functions. Apart from speed it will give me a Qtr mile time, fastest speed recorded on a track or road run + many others. Oh and it goes to 300klms which I hope to crack one day. Ha

The RPM has progressive shift lights and all other gauges have programable warning lights. Also got a Fuel pressure gauge and oil temp which will come in handy. Will fit them after the Thredbo run.

Not the best picture but you get the idea. Speedhut is the brand for those interested. Oh and I got the white digits to glow red in the night light.

post-260-144023601901_thumb.jpg

bugger someone else will have there installed before mine now too :( I got mine 18 months ago and they are still on the shelf - but I have installed all the sensors now and I am working on the wiring over Xmas.

They will look great and I pleased to see you picked up the fuel pressure also ;) I will never not have one again in a modified car they are worth it and help ID other issues with the setup/system :D

Ha Ha I like that Benny.

Apparently the Tacho is really easy to instal, less hassle than regular items. Can't remember specifically why. I think you pick up a wire somewhere. And yes the Fuel pressure gauge will come in handy to ensure elec pump working OK, to ensure no pressure loss on the track down the main straight and later in life when injection goes on.

The oil temp will be handy for when I put on an oil cooler as well. And I love the big fuel gauge. It will be much easier to see how I am going as opposed to looking at the needle go up and down around the "E" marker on originals. Ha

Got to always be planning for the future. So I look forward to getting them in one day. I could have gone the full digital display route but I wanted the gauges to help the Zed still look sort of original if that makes sense.  :D

PS Come on Nzeder get those gauges in and let me know if ther are any tricks I need to know.

Good question. Maybe they will self distruct!

The Melbourne tunnels have provisions for GPS units and should still work. I know my Sat Nav still works when going through them, same as your radio.

The guages look awesome!

I wonder if they can be linked to some sort of tracking device as well?

I have two navman gps and both do not work in the tunnels. There are a few of the gps systems that "predict" your path and speed when your signal was lost but I'm not sure I would solely rely on that for accuracy.

Unless I'm missing something and the gumbyment have recently installed satellites inside the tunnels or maybe some wireless routers that relay the signal ;D

Well I'm not sure but my Sat Nav in my car works perfectly in the tunnel. But I'm not going to lose any sleep if the speedo doesn't work in the tunnel since I only take my Zed through there maybe once a year.

To me the most important thing for me is having an accurate speedo on the road. As most on here know once you start meessing around with bigger wheels, changing diff's ratio's and gear box's then more often than not the speedo ends up being 10-20 klms out.

These are not L-cheapo gauges and they talked up the GPS capability. But I guess we won't know till I get them in. I will post an update when that happens. But don't hold your breath as I'm not putting them in till around April when winter is on the way. I am anticipating a big job to fit all 7 gauges with all the sensors rigged up correctly. Oh and if you are wondering about where the Volt meter is I have a nice big digital one from ebay which will go between the two gauges down near where the radio once was (Front end of the console).

Cheers

I'd still trust a corrected mechanical or electronic speedo over GPS any day.

I work with GPS constantly and the errors that occure even with so called survey accurate receivers is eye opening.

Note that the accuracy you will get from even the latest SRF chip set will be in the order of +/- 5m when you have the minimum number of satellites, no interference, no reflection of signals and so on and so on that I need to deal with on a daily basis.

I actually use two GPS units of different manufactures and accuracy to track my path for video surveys.

I was wondering about the volt meter - I have 8 of these type of gauges so that is the same as you + volts. I am thinking how I am going to get all of the in too :( my plan is this.

In the original locations install the oil temp, water temp and oil press. Then when the centre air outlets are (260z we are talking about) the remaining 3, Fuel level, Fuel Press and Volts (no clock - I have mobile phone with the time on it and I don't care what the time is while I am driving ;)) So then what to do about the heater?? That is the part I am still thinking/procrastinating about.

One idea is I only really need the heater for demisting the windows - no A/C (just pulled all the factory A/C wires from the loom) I have a window to let air in. So I could just lock the heater in demist position then have a switch for fan speed and one leaver for the tape control. Other option is have new vents come out where the radio goes - will not be running one of those either - if people don't like it they can walk + hell it only as one more seat and it should be about the ride not the sound system. This would keep all the stock controls. The final option and more complex would be to have complete electronic controls replacing the leavers/cables setup thus allowing me to mount controls anywhere ie were the radio goes thus leaving more options in the centre of the dash area.

What is your plan?

Why not pulll your radio out like I have and make up a plate paint it black and drill two large holes for your gauges and also a square one for your volt meter and insert the plate with accessories just below all your heater control stuff. That way it will all remain in tact and usable. That's what I am going to do anyway. And yes my clock will be given the flick as well. Oh and my sound system went years ago. All up including speakers weighed 18kg. It went when the roll cage 40kg went in. Fare comprimise.  ;D

Well if you can wait long enough I will put a picture up when mine is done.

But yeah modify the top end of your console and you should be right.  ;)

Ah yes but in this day and age of the ipod / radio or itunes in your phone then just use that. Besides my car is so loud it's better to run ear phones than speakers. Ha

Well if you can wait long enough I will put a picture up when mine is done.

But yeah modify the top end of your console and you should be right.  ;)

Ah yes but in this day and age of the ipod / radio or itunes in your phone then just use that. Besides my car is so loud it's better to run ear phones than speakers. Ha

I concur which is why I will not have a radio/stereo in the car + just open the window and listen to all the loud doof doof music that comes from all the subies, S14/S15, Skylines.

But it's so boring without a radio/mp3 player, no matter how nice your engine sounds.  I'm replacing mine as soon as I can.

Well talk to the other person in the car, if you find them boring get a new friend/girl friend/wife/life. My zed no longer has any sound proofing so I will need a very very loud sound system to cover the sound of the engine/road/driving experience + I am an old motorcyclist (withdraw symptoms kicking in now) so you learn to live without music while driving/riding.

+1 for no radio. Go and spoil yourself on a good house stereo and you will realise nothing sounds good in car stereos anymore. Then you will be happy to just experience the drive. Besides, only a few of us daily drive these things.

What about the vent to the right of the driver? I never use that because I just unwind the window.

Or are you both saving that vent for when you turbo charge your NA motors and want a boost gauge, ha.

My last 240z has the fuel press gauge there :) so that is an options again too thanks for the reminder. There is also the glove box too - have them angled toward you/driver and just open the door when on the track to see the fuel pressure, volts.

I am with Craig I think I will install were the radio goes leaving the heater and vents along - it will be a tight fit for 3 x 2 5/8 gauges but I will make it work.

My last 240z has the fuel press gauge there :) so that is an options again too thanks for the reminder. There is also the glove box too - have them angled toward you/driver and just open the door when on the track to see the fuel pressure, volts.

I am with Craig I think I will install were the radio goes leaving the heater and vents along - it will be a tight fit for 3 x 2 5/8 gauges but I will make it work.

Gee you must'nt be driving fast  ;D

I'd be lucky to see the tacho when I'm on the track. I'm slowly being convinced big lights are the way to go!!!

having said that, I do like to have quality guages to see what's happening after or before the event, though looking at the oil pressure guage is acary after a race and you're idling back into the pits.....

Gee you must'nt be driving fast  ;D

I'd be lucky to see the tacho when I'm on the track. I'm slowly being convinced big lights are the way to go!!!

having said that, I do like to have quality guages to see what's happening after or before the event, though looking at the oil pressure guage is acary after a race and you're idling back into the pits.....

Off topic but I did not say I look at them all the time :D - the fuel press was good to glance at on the exit of a corner (when no traffic was around) and you would be surprised how much surge effects the fuel press.

You are right though on the track you don't use them much but that is good thing about these units - peak and hold memory and external warning lights ;) The gauges also have an LED in them (if don't want a large F-off external warning light hooked up) so you can get the warning of issues then glance at the unit to see the reading. And with the memory - back in the pits see what the highest reading was during the session 8)