L28 block brace/girdle

luvemfast

Seeing if there is much interest for people to buy a block brace/girdle

I have borrowed one that I am going to measure and model in CAD, then get them laser cut.

Obviously the more there are the cheaper it will be.

They need some work to fit them. Spacers needed to the mains, longer mains bolts, drilling and tapping into the block, open up through holes and countersink then screw it on.

Or is there already someone supplying them locally?

Thoughts and interest,

Simon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished modelling it.

Will plot it at 1:1 scale and take it home to check size, position and dimensioning.

So far there are only 3 guys interested.

1. Myself

2. Peter mac

3. Lurch

Gareth, you're building a strong motor, you should consider this. Actually, anyone building a strong motot should!

post-396-144023598584_thumb.jpg

Did electromotive, BSR or any of the big race teams ever use girdles in their race cars? I understand how it works and why it's beneficial, but is it over engineering something that doesn't need to be?

So what does a girdle do?

My thoughts are that it will brace and stiffen the block, reducing flex.

It also will increase the frequency of the dreaded harmonic vibration, moving it further up the rev range. Which puts less stress on the bottom end, in turn improving reliability.

It is supposed to change the whole sound of the car too.

Did electromotive, BSR or any of the big race teams ever use girdles in their race cars?

I don't know about the big teams, but the fastest Z, back in the day, locally ran them. And then he sold them overseas. He still has the lap record (L series Z) at the Island, 20+ years on. (Even though Peter Mac has promised to beat it)

They look nice but

a) big end studs probably won't fit this the same as bolts (at this point, shouldn't studs be used anyway?).

b) dip stick and oil pickup mods need to be made to take into consideration the added thickness of the plate. Not a biggie. Don't overfill the sump though.

c) how can you torque the allen headed bolts properly when there will need to be a gasket under both sides of the plate or will another alternate method of sealing the sump and plate be taking place?

Just wondering how they do that?

macircy-img600x451-1290265986n5xzgp13443.jpg

A) That brace is incorrect in my book, they should utelise the mains studs. Whats that one pictured doing?

B) Drill approriate clearance hole for dipstick. Haven't looked at the pick up yet, just longer fasteners isn't it?

C)Countersunk socket screws should be used. Maybe a gasket on either side would do the job. A ball nose cutter could be run around offset from the external edge to put gasket goo in, but this would add considerable cost!

The ones I'm looking at making are much better than the one pictured IMHO.

Its using one of Neils as a template (with his permission), I have also made some mods to make a better fit.

Look at the pic on first page.

Note that the crank holes are smaller and V shaped.

The outside holes are for the sump.

There are smaller holes (less of them too) close to them on the inside. They are to be countersink after using as a template into the block.

The 2 larger holes in between crank holes are for the mains.

Oil pick up is obvious, dipstick needs moving for F54.

Pretty much the rest are for lightening.

Looks like it will weigh about 4kg from CAD calculations. Would 6160 Alum do the job? (It would be pricey though)