240z brake upgrade s12+8calipers magna rotors

Hi Guys, i have been reading this forum  for a long time and thought i should make a contribution.I happened across  some Toyota s12+8  vented calipers (these calipers are made for a vented rotor , the rotor gap is 23mm i assume for a 20/22mm toyota rotor . there are  2 types of S12+8 calipers  1 for NON-VENTED and 1 for VENTED rotors, check the gap in caliper for width to know which one you are getting) cheap $25 a pair  to fit onto my 1971 240z.Having read the sticky on upgrades i thought i might as well have a crack at it, using the Mitsubishi Magna  front vented rotor from  the  TN,TM,TP model part # DBA 221 .A couple of issues came up that i haven't read in the other posts. The s12+8 vented caliper wasn't wide enough for the Magna rotor, the caliper(s12+8) can only accept a 22mm wide rotor as the gap in the caliper is 23mm at its widest, and the Magna rotor is 24mm wide.So i made some 3 mm spacers (with recess for an "o"ring) to widen the caliper. Please see picture.The rotor centre hole was opened up from 69mm to 81mm to fit onto the hub and 4 new holes were drill at 103mm pcd  to bolt the rotor to the hub.My 240z hubs are a little different from 260z hubs ,so i only needed to use 1.5mm spacers between the caliper mounting holes and the strut leg to move the caliper back (further inboard) to centre the caliper over the rotor.Next issue is my road rims are 14x6 eneki mag and won't bolt up the the hub as the new s12+8 calpiers are sticking out to far and catching on the back of the wheel spokes(run an 8-10mm spacer and buy some longer wheel studs part # NS 4570!).My 15x7 Performance Superlites with race tyres are just fouling a bit  on the wheel hub(run 3mm spacer) and another set of 15x6.5 rims are fine. Plus install new brake master cylinder Nissan Patrol 1 inch part #JB1419

COST BREAKDOWN 25/10/2010

Calipers                                $25.00 pair    Magna rotors                  $45.00 each        long wheel studs $80.00 for 8

New caliper pistons Large    $22.00 each  Machine centre hole        $25.00 for both

New caliper pistons small    $17.50 each  Calipers spacers              $Free

Caliper seal kit PBR              $30.00 each  Brake pads Girling brand  $60.00

Master cylinder                    $110.00          Wheel spacers                  $25.00             

post-2481-144023595703_thumb.jpg

post-2481-144023595727_thumb.jpg

post-2481-144023595738_thumb.jpg

post-2481-144023595757_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys can anyone confirm if this will work? I have S12+8 non vented setup already and want vented rotors to stop fading on track days. So if I read this correct all I do is get 3mm spacers for the centre of the caliper and tp magna vented rotors  :o   

• 2 weeks later...

S12+8 came in two configurations one for solid and one for vented. But even the vented one is made for something like 20mm wide discs so you will need to run the spacer for the magna rotors regardless. I have a pair of brand new magna rotors i want to get rid of if you need some.

S12+8 came in two configurations one for solid and one for vented. But even the vented one is made for something like 20mm wide discs so you will need to run the spacer for the magna rotors regardless. I have a pair of brand new magna rotors i want to get rid of if you need some.

Thanks, but I already picked up a new pair for $45

• 2 weeks later...

I have rebuilt S12+8 calipers for a vented rotors, new vented magna rotors DBA221's. The calipers have been machined wider to accomodate the 24mm thick rotor and I have bolted the disc rotors to 240 hubs on the car only to find that the calipers wont even go anywhere near fitting. What am i doing wrong?  :o Will 260z hubs give me the extra 10mm bigger offset I need?

Yes.

240z rotor = 52mm offset on the rotor

260z rotor = 43mm offset on the rotor

So that is 9mm different aka the 260z hub is 9mm thicker vs the 240z items (as the total setup rotor and hub place the rotor in the centre of the caliper on a 240z as a 260z)

Yes.

240z rotor = 52mm offset on the rotor

260z rotor = 43mm offset on the rotor

So that is 9mm different aka the 260z hub is 9mm thicker vs the 240z items (as the total setup rotor and hub place the rotor in the centre of the caliper on a 240z as a 260z)

Great, got some on the parts car. Thanks NZeder!

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys find that the magna rotor doesnt go all the way to the edge of the pads?

This is what i've read:

TP Magna 266mm diameter

240Z 271mm

hilux 289mm

so that's up to 23mm difference?

Are you getting pad over hang on the magna rotors?

It is only 5mm difference so to a casual glance it probably would look the same. I'm just wondering what the sort of radius the hilux caliper mounts at compared to teh stock one - if it sits out further from the hub?

With the RX-7 pads in a 12+8 caliper the pad material is in a different place so the do sit in 5-8mm from the edge. All I did was redrill the pin holes at the back of the pads to set them in the right place. If anything the hilux 12+8 calipers sit a little closer to the standard hub.

yeah thats what i was thinking of!

Hrrm so it sounds like the max rotor size is the same dimensions as the stock 240Z rotor. I wonder what different 5mm of rotor diameter make?