Mitsubishi Distributor for L-series Engine (Electronic)

gav240z

• Administrators

Ok well I have had this distributor for quite a while. The only problem is I don't know what model of Z or L-series it came from?

Everyone does the E12 Module distributor upgrade but this is a different design, dare I say but a superior more reliable and accurate dizzy.

I have provided some pictures as a reference. Has anyone got one of these? Does anyone recall seeing one on a 280zx or perhaps another injected L-series?

655_.jpg

656_.jpg

657_.jpg

• 4 years later...

I also have one of these - what's the go? Does anyone know anything about these Mitsubishi distributors, and what they might have come off?

Mine was on my 2+2 when I bought it, but I replaced it with a 280zx unit.

(sorry for the thread necromancy, but in this case I think it's warranted)

• Administrators

I'm not sure but I heard they were for a 280zx series 2. Possibly a turbo variant? It's a well engineered distributor, better than the standard ZX distributor that most slot into their Z's.

This 1 gave up on me (it was on the car when I bought it). The module died - managed to trace down another but it was a bit expensive. I think what Dimitri said is correct you can use a Bosch module.

I almost turfed it when it broke, but I'm glad I kept it as my mechanic at the time said it was very rare and sought after.

• Administrators

Pretty sure that's not the Mitsubishi model and just the normal E12 module 280zx distributor.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

• Administrators

Gav, is the drive slot in the bottom off-set like a normal L series Dist or central. If central I'd say my engine had one, and it was an imported L28 turbo. I'll have an oil pump drive shaft to suit soon if you ever need one?

Hodgo

I can't recall for sure from memory it could be central but I haven't looked at it in nearly 4 years.

RE: The oil pump drive shaft - just let me know I can get it shipped to my old folks place for when I eventually return to Australia :).

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators

Bit of a topic revival, but I managed to find another 1 of these in Japan recently.

The part no. is stamped in the distributor body.

22100-Y6810

I've also seen a similar distributor but different part no.

22100-P6510

These are better than the run of the mill Hitachi units E12-80 module based distributors.

Hey Gav,

I have one of these on my car but I haven't found its original source, whether it is native to the engine (F54/N42) or come from somewhere else. I have used it for 7 years now without it missing a beat!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Administrators

That's ok, it was fitted to later L-series engines in Japan before they moved to a trigger wheel / CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) set up and was most likely fitted on saloon cars that had L-GATA motors fitted.

As you say fitted for 7 years without missing a beat, these are a good unit. I only removed mine when the module died, but they are a much better unit compared to the earlier Hitachi ones.

I paid $300 for the last 1 and in my opinion it's well worth it. I'd go trigger wheel etc..but I'm not yet ready for that kind of fancy equipment ;).

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I believe I may have accidentally stumbled upon one of these distributors which I have installed on my z (haven't got it running yet) I have reason to believe it may have been originally fitted to the L20ET?

I'll get more photos when I get home. Mine seems to have a hacked up L26 distributor base on it which is making it difficult to set timing.

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing Mitsubishi written on it somewhere. I'll update later today.

post-103470-0-26801200-1510531830_thumb.png

post-103470-0-60719500-1510531937_thumb.png

Hi Roady,

I'm fitting it for the first time and I haven't been able to find where 0 degrees is as the base plate has been re-drilled to enable this distributor to mount.  (I have ordered a timing light but it hasn't arrived) The mechanical advance has been disabled on it and the timing is controlled through the custom ECU. I'm also unsure if the positioning of the hall effect sensor inside the unit is correct as it is able to be moved around since the mechanical advance was removed.

The model of this one is:

T4T80172 C4

22100 Y4111

post-103470-0-19737200-1510657615_thumb.jpg

post-103470-0-02124200-1510657633_thumb.jpg

post-103470-0-58225700-1510657707_thumb.jpg

post-103470-0-45909800-1510657889_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the Mitsubishi distributor with the adjustment plate and base that it came with (the hole on the right has been re-drilled to allow it to mount to the base.

post-103470-0-23406600-1510658937_thumb.jpg

This is the base and adjustment plate that was fitted to the motor originally with a d609-56a distributor 

post-103470-0-01901000-1510659101_thumb.jpg

As you can see the two bases are the same whereas the adjustment plates are different. I reckon that the person originally using this distributor didn't get the base with it so they used a standard l26 base. I also believe that to get it to mount correctly and have the timing set properly they would have had the oil pump shaft turned in a different orientation than normal. Not sure though?

Andrew

Very interesting. I'll have a proper look at mine today for you. I'm sure you saw earlier in this post what the inside of mine looked like. I'll get back to you re- the base plate but from memory mine looks just like the second one you posted, where a marker points to the advance adjustment

Very interesting. I'll have a proper look at mine today for you. I'm sure you saw earlier in this post what the inside of mine looked like. I'll get back to you re- the base plate but from memory mine looks just like the second one you posted, where a marker points to the advance adjustment

Hey Roady, just wondering if you had any more info for me?

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Administrators
On 8/25/2011 at 9:31 PM, Zedman240® said:

Seen one long time ago...if it works in your L series, just stick with it! If the module ever dies, you can replace the module with a Bosch "022" type module.

Can also use a Tridon TIM003 module.. which apparently works with a MITSUBISHI Sigma Scorpion 2.0 2.6 etc..

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/tridon-tim003