RB sumps to suit 240z / 260z, mk-2 done check out pics

nat0_240_chevZ

hi guys,

im making my own RB into s30-Z sump, I have my first successful mock up in thin steel.

when i have finalised the design, wondering what sort of interest there would be for more,

as when i make mine its easier to make more at the same time, but as i have limited time available

i thought id get the interest first up, as im only thinking of running one batch.

Open to actual the actual config they are finished in, as mine will have baffle,

side wings aswell as other performance features as used in race/track type items.

these are not only restricted to the s30, but any mid-rear sump bowl requirement.

so if your after just a basic sump then let me know.

no pricing has been considered yet nor confirmed, as the details are still vague.

Should be around the cost of a new nissan one (if they were/are still available) for a basic unit (inc horiz. baffle) about the 600-650 mark. but like i said above, details to be confimed.

as shown in pics, this is the first mockup only, wings, baffles and diversion blades are to be finalised now that i have a sump which fits.

Sump retains the stock std engine-to-gearbox braces, as these are important.

can include external oil fittings for pumps/coolers/turbos & returns etc.

utilises the rear dipstick position on the rb, to suit 20/25/30 and possibly 26 depending on request.

Any sales will contribute a donation to the forum they sell from, as its not about profiteering, just supplying what people need and not really for sale any more.

reply here or pm through forum.

cheers nat0

post-283-144023591978_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023591982_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023591997_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023592007_thumb.jpg

Would you be modifying the oil pickups as well? or just making the sumps?

Ill most likely look at supplying new ones to suit with the sump, as its a sure way to confirm it all fits, although to modify the pickup is quiet simple and straight forward.

Ill be doing the sumps, and I anticipate the basic unit to be baffled & caged around the pickup, only, not full directional vanes which i will be using along with the wings for extra capacity, basic capacity at present is approx 5.8L but i may shrink it down slightly to make it more versatile to those that are dropping into toranas and other conversions, unless of course i can pick up extra volume in mk-2 mockup.

Nat0

You'll probably be able to export them to our friends State-side. There is a demand for this very part since the 200ZR sump became NLA a little while back.

yes very much a bummer, as i was intending on purchasing a new one ex nissan, and all custom modded ones (all OEM chop up's) are $900-1400....

just because they have a nice sticker on them, and usually have a core charge additional to that....

Feel free to link to hybridZ and direct them through here, as i thought ill get the aussies sorted first.

I would have to confirm a deposit before counting your hand up as a +1 on the list, as i really dont want to be messed about and then have to off load them on ebay over the next 5 years......

cheers Nat0

hope so, and considering our dollar @ present they wouldnt want to buy from here anyway.

but that said to by one over wouldnt be as bad as previous.

Although I dont think that sump utilises the gearbox to engine braces unless im missing something.

Look once i have a pan complete, it will look alot nicer and well finished, the thin sheet mockup is purely that.

there are still several changes im yet to add, just to the shape of the thing, the pics were just to wet youre apetite, that yes they are coming....

nat0

• 2 weeks later...

mk-2 mockup sump nearly complete,

looks good, will take pics once i get a minute tonight, only another mockup, however it could be used as it is pretty sweet. long side flanges look very stock with their return flange & will either have a ribbing included for sealant capture or an engraved groove all around on either side of bolt holes.

this assists in sealing heaps,

also getting a new laser cutting machine @ work so more to come on all fronts.

ill tack up this unit tonight.

Already test fitted and its sweet, withe the rb back 50mm anyways.

without wings its only probably about 4-5L max but the wings i hope to open that up to 6-7L.

baffles and vanes still not trialed yet as the main sump is my main hurdle.

I doubt the us guys will be interested with our very high $$ @ present, but who cares.

going by ease of production thus far (without all the extras) i dare say for about $500 for the sump only as a basic unit, with baffle.

anyways, picture speak louder than words, as soon as i can ill post pics.

nat0

PS jpav, havent forgot about you, also working on it.

and xyzed, youre def using, my mounts & sump????

nat0

ok.

finished with the mk-s version of the sump, much cleaner shape than previous.

-Now actually clears the engine to gearbox bracing,

-shape has been changed to remove sharp lower edge on rh side. also pos' for sump drain plug.

-In its current state without the wing which are coming next it holds approx 5L of fluid/oil at about the 'H' mark on the dipstick, when re-located to the std rear position, (final checks and measures pending) so about the stock volume of the front pans in the skylines.

-stiffening flanges added to straight edges of pan, all made from 1 piece except the front and back curves, as seen pinned in place for tacking up.

overall pretty happy with the shape, position and fit with all the stock items, as getting the shape right on this and to be able to make it right is not easy by any means and have spent many hours on this.

Currently working on the baffle, extra capacity wings, and inserts to divert/maintain oil around the pickup during cornering and braking etc. hopefully have these sorted in the next day or so.

shall keep updates happening. also other improvements happening along the way.

hope you can make out the pics, more available, any q's

nat0

post-283-144023594845_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023594851_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023594859_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023594868_thumb.jpg

Excellent work nat0.

Do most RB guys run the engine - trans stiffening? Only ask as you may be limiting your market for those people that may want a true rear sump position..... given the market would not be just limited to Z's.

I have been contemplating what to do with the trans stiffening myself.26 has it integrated into sump 25 has brackets.not sure about the smaller engines. Nat, are those standard brackets? If so where did you get them?

yes stock stiffening brackets, from an R34 gtt.

26 sumps are cast and heavey,(even without the diff), and have very little volume due to the dif etc, and std have limited baffling, hence the 1st upgrade any owner should do if hitting any boost or corners fullstop.

Im not really trying to make a market for these kato, im just doing my own, and if anyone else wants in on a batch run, then they can benifeit from this too, but after that, ill let my work sell them, but 1 offs will cost a bit.....

However if later down the track there was a group buy, i could have organised for them but i wouldnt want to be involved as mine is all done and dont need any more than 2-3 for myself.

thanks for the ups, this is only a mockup guys not the real thing, remember that.

plenty of improvements and additions etc to come.

Just wait till you see the final product, but i think its good to let everyone see the developments just so all are aware what needs to go into such fabrications etc, and let me tell you trying to have 30 odd holes line up and not leak aswell as perform its requiered function is not easy....

cheers nat0

• 3 months later...

Hi Nat0,

just wanted to register my definate interested when your ready (replied in a different post, but putting it here is probably a bit more visable :))

i am looking for a baffled sump (with/without wings is fine)+ pickup for an RB26, i have my old pickup if you need that to modify

i am pretty sure that any of the RB25 trans stiffeners will mount to the rb26.. atleast a series 2 one did on my other RB26

thanks mate

Kent

whats the 26 from??

does it or will it have any form of adaptor plate???

currently only doing rb20/25 flange, however i do have an r32 gtr sump sitting @ my workshop to change the sump flange as they are quiet different.

shall keep all in loop,

just bought some realestate so less time for cars till i finish up some minor reno's.

bloody houses.......

nat0

hi nat0,

my RB26 is out of an R32 GT-R, and there are no adaptor plates required (the only adaptor plates i know of in use are to put RB30 blocks onto the 4WD sump's for GT-R's).

(forgive me if you already know this) The RB25DET sump's actually fit up to the RB26 (the block has both bolt holes), but it causes problems with the oil pickup tube as the pickup hole is right were the rb25 pan mounts (ie. you need to cut out some of the flange and box the oil pickup in). If you can adapt your sumps to the RB26 flange (which has a slightly wider footprint) that would be exceptional as it would allow the pickup to remain relatively untouched, i am sure it will be a very popular option for people as the prices of RB26's come down

I am not 100% sure if the oil pickup mod will be the same (i am pretty sure i read that the RB25 oil pickup does fit), the RB26 pickup is alot more substantial.. but i am hoping that the angles will match the modified RB25 ones that you will create. when your ready, and if interested, i am happy to see if one fits on my RB26 (i can then send it back to you with my RB26 pickup for the required changes :))

The RB26 is actually no harder than installing an RB25.. you still use the RB25 gearbox, clutch, flywheel etc. the only thing that changes is the block upwards :)

I am putting an RB26 into my 240K (front sump).. the RB25DET (series 2 R33 gearbox) flywheel etc. all bolted up.. and being a front sump, all i had to do was get the aluminium sump modified to remove the diff and clear my crossmember.. the 240Z isn't as easy.. but almost :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just thinking out loud here, But what if the trans bracing was incorporated into the frame of the sump?

It would allow the sump to come right back to the gearbox flange, adding on another 4? litres of capacity.

I guess then the issue would be controlling that mass of oil during heavy acceleration/braking and cornering?