Sign in to follow this  
MaygZ

A Zed is Reborn - MaygZ Folly

Peter

Likewise, even though I didn't get many opp's to come visit you in the back shed...............

When I saw that roof the first morning I SHAT myself, I was seriously looking to see if we could use the one from the parts car as a donor !

I spent another few hours on it after you all left, Simon can fill you in on the results, the 1/4 shot looks horrid as it was before I did the final tap up, but its come up nice also, will let Simon post some shots when he has time.

Hat off to Loui and Lurch, what a team ! you would have thought they had been working as one for years.

And Ayd's did a great days work on the tail lamp area, great stuff.

Jimbo what can I say, when I got down about all that shrinking I was doing, your words of encouragement kept the arthritic elbow working !

Great stuff guys....never ceases to amaze me how coherent and willing to help out this group is.

Would have loved to be there but burnt all my Brownie points2 weeks ago on a 4 day ride in the high country!

Well done to all who contributed.

OK, Loui sent me a stack of pics, some NOT car related which show what goes on when real men get out of a pair of overalls !

Enjoy.

post-1356-144023627569_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023627575_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023627579_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023627584_thumb.jpg

Ah Lurch, I don't think I can ever look at you the same way after seeing those photos. :-*

Wow this has been a while.  I don't own a camera and it's taken me a while to work out how to use my new fangled phone.

Well I've lots of little bits - badly.  My welding isn't bad - not good but not to bad.  I think I still get a bit too much heat into the panel, but I'm learning patience.  My big problem is my grinding!!  I try for a beautiful metal finish that makes the patch invisible.  All I really achieve is grinding holes in it and then blowing through the thinned metal when I try to patch it.  Doh!!

There is no way I'm posting pictures of the area under the battery tray!!!

So I tried something a bit simpler today - walk away from the battery tray!!

The sand blaster, for those that don't know, humped my hatch, bonnet, roof and guards!  Bless his cotton socks - not only has he walked away from his sandblasting business, but now he's left town!! 

So it was time to resurrect the guards on my parts car.  they were surprisingly good.  They were a bugger to get off as the rest of the car had rusted to them, but they weren't bad.  So a bit of a clean up, cut out some rust and patch away - watch the grinder though.  Here is the result.

PS:  Seems I have to learn how to hold my phone still - sorry

post-1654-144023665128_thumb.jpg

post-1654-14402366514_thumb.jpg

Looking great brother.... quick tip with the welding i picked up, is grab a piece of aluminum/brass to put behind pinhole to weld up makes it alot easier and doesnt blow through as bad!!

Bout time too Simon! Geeze thought I had been slack.

Keep at it ...

I think he was using cannon balls as blasting media.. either that or a sledge hammer.

Good to see some more progress!

So what did I miss with the sandblaster?

Did you leave part with him and now he's disappeared?

I think he was in a hurry.  The bonnet and the hatch were so bad you could see the outline of the frame through he skin.  The guards and the roof had more wave than Bells.

Thanks Benny, I'll give it a try.

Kato, you are slack; I'm just slacker.

Hi all,

trying something that doesn't involve welding for a while  :-[

I've cleaned up, sand-blasted and stripped my hilux calipers.  I will be putting a kit through them.  I'm going to paint them.  The question I have, as I've not painted calipers before, what's the best way to mask off the cylinders?  Or do people not paint the inside of the caliper and therefore mask off the whole inside (where the pads sit).  Obviously it will not be seen, but I'm just inquiring as to where the benchmark is set by others.

Thanks guys

Are they not assembled?

If you paint first, you williston likely chip it while putting it together.

Considered complete assembly, then mask off the cylinder/piston/seal? ???