240z, 260z, 280zx clutches the same?

Zedback

Can someone clarify if the clutches and therefore the clutch kits for 240z, 260z and 280zx are all the same?  Looking through the posts it looks like they should be, but haven't seen anything definite.  Rang Bursons today for a 240z clutch kit and he said they've been deleted from their stock list.  L28 clutch kits still seem to be around either for 280zx's and MQ Patrols.

I picked up Peter T's spare parts car L26 as an interim donk.  The clutch has well and truly cooked, (Peter described driving it home as like being in an automatic)! 

The flywheel doesn't look servicable, it's got radial cracks in the face and a lot of heat discoloration, I can use one off either the L24 or L28 I have,  but where do you source a new flywheel from?

Thanks, Mike

Hey mike, I installed the wrong clutch kit in my 260z a couple of months back, there is definitely a difference between some of the clutch kits (I think repco had 2 listings for the 260z so possibly there was an overlap somewhere) The taller pressure plate is 10mm(?) or so deeper which was enough for the slave cylinder piston to nearly pop out when you depress the peddle!

The shorter (earlier?) clutch kit has the part number R63N from Repco.

I can't find the number for the taller pressure palte/clutch kit but they should be able to tell you if you know the other part number anyway. It is the more expensive one at $230 (I think the shorter one was about $180?)

The first one they sent me had been used so I took it back and they upgraded me to an Exedy clutch kit ($270) for free as they didn't have anymore stock replacement kits in Brisbane at the time :)

I've definitely still got the shorter one here out of the car so if it makes it any easier you can borrow it to compare heights...

• Moderators

To make sure, measure the height of your clutch and compare with the new one; if there is a major difference, you have to find a matching thrust bearing carrier to suit. There are about 3-4 different ones that I have seen.

New_Clutch_Installed%20%28Small%29.jpg

Yeah the whole assembly (yellow bit in the picture) so from the flywheel to 'fingers' on the pressure plate.

Should clarify that it is the whole pressure plate that is thicker, not sure about the actual clutch disc. I'll modify the previous posts so it's a bit more accurate.

Just chiming in for a second.

Wouldn't the difference in pressure plates be determined by the type of g'box and therefore actuating lever/thrust bearing combo?  Are there differences in flywheels?

MaygZ

Wouldn't the difference in pressure plates be determined by the type of g'box and therefore actuating lever/thrust bearing combo?  Are there differences in flywheels?

That makes sense

What are the differences between the combo's?

Even cranks could have an affect couldn't they?

I have an R63N at home that Benny and I are checking out tonight, would be good to know what it can be used for

Been trauling along these lines, from what I can gather the Clutch/Throw Out Bearing carrier combo has to match and the Throw Out Bearing Carriers differ on different gearboxes depending on year.

I installed the wrong clutch kit in my 260z a couple of months back, there is definitely a difference between some of the clutch kits (I think repco had 2 listings for the 260z so possibly there was an overlap somewhere) The taller pressure plate is 10mm(?) or so deeper which was enough for the slave cylinder piston to nearly pop out when you depress the peddle!

Did either of the clutch kits you bought come with a new Throw Out Bearing carrier?

To make sure, measure the height of your clutch and compare with the new one; if there is a major difference, you have to find a matching thrust bearing carrier to suit. There are about 3-4 different ones that I have seen.

try 10

A bit of further information that might help others who are mix'n'matching engines and transmissions.  Exedy have a great site http://clutchfinder.exedy.com.au/default.aspx

From this there are 2 possible clutch kits (or a 3rd if you have an s130 turbo):

1) 240z requires part# NSK-6097 -  it's 53mm deep

2) 260z requires either NSK-6097 or NSK-6052 which is 47mm deep

If you happen to have scored an L28 turbo you might have a 240mm diameter flywheel face instead of 225mm and you would be looking for NSK-6151

Looking through the MSA online store at several of their performance clutch kits, they indicate a requirement for a "clutch collar" when used on 1970-74Z's "Note: 70-74 Z's REQUIRE  the use of a 280Z Clutch Collar, part 21-2122 below. If you have only your original 240Z or 260Z clutch collar, and not specifically an original collar from a 280Z, then this clutch WILL NOT WORK properly in your 70-74 Z."

MSA list the lengths of two types of clutch collars:

1) '70-'74Z = 1 3/4"  (~44mm)

2) '75+ = 2 1/16" (~53mm)

So it looks like for the bearing carrier/clutch collar on my transmission I need the earlier, deeper 53mm clutch.