Some planned changes to the Marque Sports Rules

PZG302

Courtesy of Gordon Dobie:

In the hope of clearing up some of the confusion regarding what was and was not allowed under the CAMS reg's under which 240/260 and 280Zs where obliged to compete, I have attached a copy of the original Group D reg's from the CAMS Manual as applied throughout the time in which I competed.

These rules were basically the same as the improved production touring car reg's of the time and were quite restrictive. The intention being to keep costs to a reasonable level whilst allowing sufficient flexibility to enable the creation of very vehicles capable of very fast and close competition.

Good luck to all Z owners

Gordon Dobie

post-89-144023774382_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023774394_thumb.jpg

They're a bit old, circa 1074-5, written to stop the very free and open rules that had evolved between 1970 to 1973.

Very interesting to see, now, how they have chamged, to again, be much more "free and eady" yet once again!

At least in Historics, their rules and requirements for Production Spirts are consistent and unchanging, and with some 170 Group S cars Logbooked, there are always high numbers f cars at events.

A Group S Historic is similar to current specs for Group 2F Prod Sports.

There are still changes happening with the Prod Sports rules, but don't make S30 Zeds any more competitive....

You will never be able to change the L series engine for an RB or put a RB head on an L series and comply.

The SCAA is also currently reviewing the the list of eligible vehicles for 2B and 2F cars to keep it more relevant and to also have three divisions of 2B cars, Division I as per now with 500 having to be made in a 12 month period, Division II as per now with a minimum of 10 registered in Australia in a 2 year year period, allows for things like MX5 SP's (100 made) and Honda engined Lotuses, and soon, Division III to allow import cars that are eligible for registration in their home country, like the Ginetta. And also giving the old GT cars a home, but they must be as per the homologation they raced as in the GT series and to the GT rules, ie they can't take advantage of freedoms under the 2B rules.

Also Porsche Cup cars are not eligible for 2B at this stage.

The eligibility list will also add some cars like the BRZ/86 and remove some cars, generally older models that are now used in historics only.

Some of the rules in 2B are allowing some more freedoms and some are tightening up and some are fixing glaring errors, such as the rules saying that if it is not mentioned that it may be modified then it must be standard, and nothing is mentioned about computers for EFI, so technically every car with a modified or aftermarket computer is illegal in 2B, but in 2F this is legal as it mentions that computers are free.

They're a bit old, circa 1074-5, written to stop the very free and open rules that had evolved between 1970 to 1973.

Very interesting to see, now, how they have chamged, to again, be much more "free and eady" yet once again!

At least in Historics, their rules and requirements for Production Spirts are consistent and unchanging, and with some 170 Group S cars Logbooked, there are always high numbers f cars at events.

A Group S Historic is similar to current specs for Group 2F Prod Sports.

Far as I know there were only three circuit events for all of 2014 which specifically included Group S. Which in my opinion makes having a Group S race car not the best option if you want to race a Zed in Q. And as you have experienced Jason a Group S Zed is too slow to do other circuit motorsport at anywhere near the sharp end.

Plenty of Group S events, Capricorn up here which is 4 or 5 meetings in conjunction with both QR/Lakeside and HRCC, plus CAMS championship race meetings at Morgan Park, 5 or 6, plus Prodsports sprint series, 5 events and an enduro plus the CUE enduro for prodsports that sees races in three states, plus the 300km enduro events at QR, Wakefield and Winton and then there is all the hillclimb championships and the sprint series, so plenty of racing for a Group S car.

In outright terms it will outgunned against modern and some euro machinery, but my old banger was a top 5 car in Qld Prod sports, and will do very well in class to win a season championship where results in all races are important.

Oh no , here we go again !

Gordon, you know i will champion the Historics!

FFS  CloudShouter, in 2014, there were, a total of, 17 full race weekends for Group S, and a further 8 where Group S cars were invited r elegible to compete.

That's 25 Weekends, not just a single day!

Your addled mind is just not up with it anymore, you cop an absolute padting on other forums from many others, we here are a bit more polite.

'Cept me!

When you do the same lap times as the top few Group S cars, at the tracks they compete at, for the race lengths they run, then we might take you seriously!

And, a Group S Datsun Z would, without any doubt, be the best "Bangs for Bucks" australia wide, accepted category race car anyone could get into.

Even if they are , ahem, "slow"?, going by our resident Group S Ex-Spurt! 

Now, who wants a ready to race, holder of class lap records at all three Qld tracks, fully sorted Datsun Z, to go have a proper play in?