Bigfellas Bus - 1975 2+2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It has been one of those days.

You know the ones, when the things you discover aren't to good. I did some serious stripping of the bus today. Only to find some not so nice rust.

I already knew there was rust in the rear quarter, but there is also a fair bit in the drivers floor pan. I already have a rear quarter teed up thanks to Lurch and Rev, but know I am looking to replace the drivers floor pan and door sill as well.

I need to do some serious assessing and work out whether I should just be looking out for another shell. What are the thoughts of my fellow Zedders.

Thanks Matt

post-1891-144023587901_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023587915_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023587952_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023587975_thumb.jpg

Hey Mate,

I just wish you were a bit closer as you could have my parts car shell as by your pics is a lot better than what you have got. May be it would be better to get another car and use the one you have as a parts car. My shell will go to the dump if no one wants it on a pick up basis only but it will be $0 How cheap is that.

Welcome from fellow bus owner, our numbers continue to grow.

I've just done a rear quarter panel replacement, not the easiest job

but the finished result is so rewarding you've got  the confidence to have

a go at anything. Sunroof removal soon !

keep posting pics, we learn from each other,  Cheers  ;D

GO Bigfella GO. I've got a bus and who knows what you gonna do with the other girl when two want to go for a drive in a 2 seater. ;D The front seat is always reserved for the cheese and kisses. Thank God for rear vision mirrors.

Well today I had a crack at pulling the roof skin of the parts car. Man a lot of drilling. Came of not to bad bit hard around the corners where it joins. I will have to be much more careful on my car it is going to be harder to get it of without damaging the car underneath.

The donor car had a fair bit of rust under the skin but the skin survived ok my need a couple of repairs. I hope my car is OK under the skin.

post-1891-144023589537_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023589546_thumb.jpg

I was going to have a crack at removing the rear quarter of the parts car today. It appears that this panel may not be the original on the car. Where there should be spot weld the appears to be puddle welds. I'm not sure how to go about removing them.

I was thinking about removing the entire quarter including the hatch frame you know the bit that the panel is attached to. The one in my car is not so good. My only concern is that I am guessing that this is a major structural part of the car. I am not sure if it is a good idea to cut and remove it, not to mention there will be some interesting welds. What do you Zedafiles think?

post-1891-144023589555_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023589564_thumb.jpg

Make sure the corresponding bit with their folds and such are in the condition you require before you remove bits from your car ... Cut the bits from the parts car first and be generous with the donor so you can trim and adjust suit to your keeper.

Make sure the corresponding bit with their folds and such are in the condition you require before you remove bits from your car ... Cut the bits from the parts car first and be generous with the donor so you can trim and adjust suit to your keeper.

I am a bit worried about cutting my car as think this is a major structural part and the car may twist or something worse!

In that case if it is possible you may be better off replacing sections rather than the entire rear quarter panel - I always try to cut out as little of the original as possible, replacing only the rusty sections. E.g. you could do the dogleg, sill, and area under rear quarter window as separate sections.

I had a very productive day today. I managed t get the roof skin of my car and remove the paint of the rear quarter. At least now I can see what stat the guard is in. Not so good, but I knew that.

I think I will repair sections of the guard rather than attempting to replace the entire thing. Much of a muchness I think.

Here is some Video.http://gallery.me.com/bigfellas#100155

post-1891-144023589883_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023589892_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023589898_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Did a bit of Panel work today. It's nice to be putting some things together instead of pulling things apart all the time.

I thought I would put the jigsaw back together. I got the guard off the parts car from Lurch and the missing peace when I got the trailer load of parts from Rev.

Together again at last. One day it may even fid it way onto my car.

post-1891-144023595784_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023595792_thumb.jpg

post-1891-144023595798_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I jacked the car up nice and high today to work on the drivers sill and I had a look at the chassis rails. I am still at that point of I don't no if this body is worth going on with. The chassis has had a hell of a lot of bangs over the years. If I could get new rails for a 2+2 it would really be a problem. But as far as I'm aware 2 seater ones are straight but the 2+2 follow the floor line. I am assuming that I should be able to put a straight edge on top of the rail and it should follow. Is this correct? Because it defiantly doesn't.

I'm hoping I will look back at this one day and think, I don't know what I was worried about  :'(

Hi Mate, What is your floor like. Mine was ok but the rails were rusted out so I used a nibbler to cut off the bottom of the rails and had a channel section made a touch wider and welded on the original rails. Treated rust and painted inside rails before welding then filled up with heaps of lanolin via the compressor and degreaser gun to coat welds  inside and hopefully stop further rust. Check out my build thread or give us a shout if you need more info. ;) New rails for 2+2's from the States were to this pattern so I just got them made.

Thanks Peter thats a great idea. They don't have much rust in them at all but are just banged out off shape real bad.

The floor I think has come up with a few of the hits I think. Maybe a bit of gentile bit of encouragement  with a sledge hammer may help.

Make me feel better though hearing your idea.