Shed Layout/Inclusions

garvice

Hey guys,

Currently building myself a garage and wanted some advice from others on what they like about their shed or what they cannot live without (whether it is tools or powerpoints in certain spots etc).

Now, the shed will be 7.7m x 7.7m x 2.7m with 20 deg pitch (4m clearance in the middle). It is a portal frame so plenty of usable space above my head.

First bay is 3m x 7.7m with its own 2.6m door. I had originally thought that this bay would be a single parking bay for the family car and at the end of the bay was going to place a loo/sink. Then eventually build a mezzanine floor above this bay for storage approx 3m x 5m.

(I am no longer certain that this will be the case as I am thinking that it may eventually become the bay to park my Z while another project car is being worked on).

Second bay is 4.7m wide by 7.7m long with a 3.3m door on the south/west side, 2off windows on the north/east side and a PA door.

Concrete slab is minimum 150mm thick with SL81 mesh (just incase I need that hoist, although that might be a bit of a way off).

This is what I was thinking.

600mm benches along one 7.7m side of the shed (reduces width to approx 4m once wall structure is accounted for).

Perhaps an old bath tub for a parts washer.

Desk with Internet access for researching/drawing.

I have a roll cab which houses most of my hand tools, most power tools will go under the benches.

Other then lighting, what are some things that you couldn't live without in your shed?

What are some layouts that you find really handy? Essentially I have 4.7m x 7.7m of workspace (including where the car I am working on resides) that I am not too sure how to layout at the moment.

Plumb your compressor so that you have outlets front and both sides and one hanging from the roof if possible, this saves all that dragging of hoses around the workshop that rubs on cars etc.

Rev.

I just bought this double block with one and a half sheds on it. The land area is 1856m2, Shed come with Mig Welder, Aircompressor, wood heater, gas heater, bench grinder, benches and heaps of other stuff.

post-930-144023575109_thumb.jpg

post-930-144023575116_thumb.jpg

hoist,

z-rack in the concrete, for pulling cars

few pots for chaining down to, again for pulling.

secure tool storage.

overhead and side air outlets as mentioned,

power, on every beam etc lol

yes an overhead beam that is rated to lift 500kg-1000kg for engine lifts, on a monorail roller even better.

with an electric chain/rope hoist even better, saved the cahin from the block & tack scratching everything.....

large fridge for.........more beer

heater for winter.

evap cooling for summer with doors open wide of course.

sprinkler on the roof for summer to cool the roof down.....

strippers on saturdays and motorbikes for sundays....

anything else you want?????

nat0

Cheers guys,

I like the movable bench idea.

- Would love the hoist, not sure if it will be in this shed though.

- Z rack in the concrete? What do you mean there?

- My toolbox is lockable, but it is a roll cab so not really secure.

- I am not sure I can do the overhead beam since it is a portal frame and would require me to do a complete new frame just for the beam, although if I somehow integrated it into the mezzanine floor that might work.

- Have got insulation for the shed so am hoping that will help with the heating/cooling (will let you know after our brisbane summer).

Great ideas guys, keep them coming.

Make sure the wheels can be locked in place on that bench too... :D

Maybe hang one of those retractable air hose reels they use at servos, could even be on a swing arm like the car wash things, saves having to put in multiple points. 

yep, usually dark blue, has all screw on connectors, jst your last nitto/ryco etc fittings for your flexi lines.

Z-rack, like a metal lip in the concrete used for pulling cars straight or back into square, usually a crash repair tool also, but whilst your at it, it makes sense, if you have to square a car up with 10 ton+ puller and a few chains & hooks.

but just a suggestion.....not everyones cuppa.....

nat0

Have the slab on a very slight slope so you can pressure wash it down with the karcher every once in a while and all the water will flow away. (plus a garden hose connection inside)

my garage floods every time it rains due to poor drainage, Ive lost $1000's on power tools. everything is hanging up on the walls now though!

Some extraction fans, for getting rid of dust when sanding or whatever

Speakers and amp (ebay or tip-shop)! for tuning to JJJ/sports on saturdays, plus an intercom hooked up to it so the wife can tell you you dinner is ready/mums on the fone/turn off that angle grinder. (i wish they'd stop yelling across the neighborhood like they do)

Webcam up in the corner, for security, and filming other stuff (like first startup of the car etc)

Fire protection, foam extinguisher and fire blanket

Backup power supply for lighting (12v car battery with wall mounted LED lights from camping shop or old fog lights), believe me there's nothing worse than a blackout while working on the car.

Thanks for the tips, Slab is already poured so no chance of putting a lean on it. Having said that, there is still no reason why I can't pressure wash it, just takes a bit more work with the broom.

No chance of flooding, at the lowest point it is 100mm above grade, at the highest point it is about 500 above grade.

Hose connection is a good idea, had planned on plumbing a sink/bathtub up as my parts/hand washer, wouldn't be much more effort to put an additional tap in.

Got the intercom sorted, the phone has a built in one and one will be in the shed. Not sure I want that though as the wife will be in the shed helping me degrease the engines. HA. ;)

Back up supply would be good, but I think I'll just leave that to my torches at the moment.

Intend on having an extraction fan (father in law has a fume cupboard business) so thought I would mount one under a bench then have some flexible hose connections, one pointed near the exhaust so when I drive in I can keep the car running and one that I can move around the workshop.

I'm thinking of installing an entire mirrored wall in my workshop. That way when I walk in it will feel like I have twice as many zeds in there.

Come to think of it, if I install two mirrored walls oposite each other it will be like an endless supply :D

Or you will walk in and say, hey who is that ugly bugger looking at my Zeds.

Got the framing up, the roof screwed down and one of the walls on, it is starting to come together.