fuel additives

pauly_adams

just put your premo unlead'd in if you really care, otherwise just run 91 reg.

I fyou having some trouble with detonation use the premo, (mostly noticable on hot days.

as for additives, if your after a higher octane just dissolve mothballs in 2l of petrol and chuck in your tank!!! (old tale the old, old guys talk about, works too appearantly!!!)

To be really sure what you should be running we need some specs stats of your engine, ignition, head, compression ratio, and cylinder pressures, also a realistic opinion about what your engine is doing when you load her up at slow speeds.

nato

hey nat i got standed 260 block , bosch ignition system , e88 head , standed dizzy i think , p53 manifold and a duel barrel daf carbie whick i cleaned all the crap out of last night and i can tell ya there was alot of crap but now it seems to be runnin great tryed it this morning cause i didnt finsh cleanin the carbie till late but the main reason y i was askin what fuel additives u should use is cause i didnt want to do any damage to my engine but i been usin premo anyway so thats good news thanks for your help

pauly

Hey Pauly, the problem I see with running the E88 head is that the valve seats are brass(inlet). These seats aren't compatible with unleaded fuel.

So you will have to run an upper cylinder lubricant of some sort.

The N42/P90 heads all run hardened steel seats(inlet and exhaust) which are compatible with unleaded fuels :)

I was told they are bronze, at least on the 260 E88.

Sorry.....bronze/brass, got the names mixed up. The theory still stands though. Bronze intake seats were an invention that needed lead in petrol to operate efficiently.

Thats why Nissan went to hardened steel seats for the 280zx's(N42 head) and other models around this time. because governments around the world were legislating and introducing unleaded fuels. And cylinder heads had to be updated to cope with the change.

Lead was added to fuel as an anti Knocking agent, ethanol does the same job as lead more effectively,and does not poison the environment , why not try an ethanol blend, or just dump a litre of METHELATED spirits from the supermarket in,it you check the label it is actually 98%Ethanol these days.

Another good thing about supermarket Meth/Ethanol,

An engineering signatory actually advised that I run a 20% ethanol mix in a car that had to pass an emission test, Keeps the emissions down when you need to as well. It passed.

If you run by a United servo in your daily travels, they have 95 octane and 98 octane ethanol fuels, and the 95 (Plus ULP) is 4 cents a litre cheaper than regular (91 octane non-ethanol) unleaded, and the Boost 98 is a little more expensive than normal unleaded - but about 8 cents cheaper than Optimax etc. I've been running Plus ULP in my rangie for over a year, no worries, and ran my alfa before that on Boost.

(Range)Rover have had hardened valve seats etc since 1977(introduction of the SD1) no problem with unleaded, This engine is at it's best on straight gas,never ever go dual fuel.I had a TR8 with a gas research carb set up(10.5/1comp+split timed cam) current owner has put 150000Ks on it , still has 130lb compression on all 8 cylinders.

The bronze inlet valve seat was replaced with steel in E88 heads used with 260Z heads from about 1976, which was about the time that unleaded fuel was mandated in Japan (although it should be noted that recession mainly affects exhaust valve seats).

TetraEthyl Lead was originally discovered to provide improved anti-knock capabilities but, as a combustion by-product, lead also provides a 'cushioning' effect on exhaust valve seats.

• 3 weeks later...

As a mechanic I feel its only my suty to put my opinion in on this subject! with all my 260's I have always run them on BP ultimate 98 octane, with a slightly advanced timming and have never had any problems at all. we run our race cars on it, street cars the lot. Please please dopnt orture the car with an ethanol fuel, in the long run it will only cause you more problems than it is worth.

thanks for the heads up at the moment the car is in the shed just sitting there cause i got no money :( so i havent put anything but premo so far but its running like crap i think the timings out bad but with any luck i should score a job and presto itll be goin so thanks for the info

pauly

When i got my BP Ultimate 98 octane fuel the other day i noticed a pack of 10 tablets on the counter which you add one tablet into the tank and its meant to give more power, more milage and cleaner emissions. Was about $35 for 10 tabs. Anyone heard of or used these? Does it make any difference?

I run several old cars (back to the 50's) and use premium unleaded, advanced timing, and add 100ml of ATF (auto transmission fluid) to the tank each time I fill them. This not only cleans like an upper cylinder lubricant, but boosts the octane level. It is not necesary to use new ATF - clean (filtered) used oil works just as well. Ethanol causes problems with rubber components eventually.

Craig

As a mechanic I feel its only my suty to put my opinion in on this subject! with all my 260's I have always run them on BP ultimate 98 octane' date=' with a slightly advanced timming and have never had any problems at all. we run our race cars on it, street cars the lot. Please please dopnt orture the car with an ethanol fuel, in the long run it will only cause you more problems than it is worth.[/quote']

• 2 months later...

Hate to dredge up an old topic, but after running my worked L24 E88 on unleaded with valve saver fluid for the last few weeks, I noticed that my car was running on after I shut it off, thinking that this was carbon build up, I thought it would go away. But after going to Lindsay at Zshop, he told me my problem would be solved by premium unleaded due to the shaved head, cam from hell and whatnot on my L24, but he said that lead shots were not nesscessary. I'm not able to find out what exact modifications were made to my engine when it was reco'd a few years back, i'm sure you will all notice at the meeting that it definately isn't stock. Just wondering what lead replacement would be nesscessary assuming the engine hasn't been reconditioned for unleaded. Were 240's originally made for leaded fuel?

Cheers,

Jack.

• 1 year later...

I am running the standard unleaded in a completely stock 260Z that has never had the head off it. Have done about 4000k in it without any trouble.

I was told the heat build up with ULP only effected cast iron heads so most Jap cars had no issue with running ULP.

I will tell you if I do the values :'(