which mig welder should i get ?

bryan3976

which MiG welder should i get ?

New 130AMP MIG/MAG, Heavy Duty Gasless Welder Welding Machine Two Steps Adjusting Setupless Wire Feed Adjustment Can be Used as Gasless MIG Wire DC Single-phase Output, Portable, Thermostatic Protection, Color Carton Suitable for Flux-Cored Wire Meet Multiple Welding Requirements European Design Stable Welding ARC, Less Spatter, Good Weld Joints Advanced Technology and Perfect Performance Safety Australian Standard, SAA Cert. Approved

Resized330x235_W126367312492.jpg

I am only aiming at fixing rust will the one above do .

Lurch me boy, I get it.  You like MJ.  You envy Bubbles.

Really what's with the over use of the MJ thingy??

I get the thriller reference with the young apprentise starting out on a project.

I sort of get the thriller or how things change possible message in the religious/racial tension of Bankstown.

But this bloke is asking a question about a bloody welder!!

Bryan I don't know as much as Lurch about welders (another reason it's disappointing that he has chosen to post a silly picture rather than help you) but I would stay away from gasless for thin panel work.  This is just my opinion and not based on years of training and experience.

I've recently bought a BOC190C.  It's a rebadged Kemppi and I'm very happy with it.

It might possibly due to this 5 page thread over here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,5327.0.html

It does get asked a lot and tends to cause dramas...

The search function on the site is a bit temperamental. I suggest going to google or yahoo and typing "whatever you want" site:www.viczcar.com when searching. Will come up with better results.

Ie: mig welder site:www.viczcar.com

Hence my recommendation to search using google instead.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=mig+welder+site%3Awww.viczcar.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

PS (lurch excluded in this case) but I think if we know there is an answer on the site for something, direct them to it with a link. Otherwsie when you do want to search for something, you just get a heap of threads saying "Search" like over at www.zcar.com and you have to go through pages of sh!t to find anything decent. It hasn't really been a problem hear but as we get more and mroe members we obviosly get more and more posts. If we can get on it early we might be able to make the site easier to navigate. As always, jsut my 2 cents...

PPS don't feel bad bryan, everyone learns the hard way. But just assume that everything you are thinking of has been done before, because generally, it has. These cars have been around for 40 years. I think lurch was going through puberty when they first came out :P

I dunno, I just did a search for 'mig' and the 4th result it returned was 'what mig do I buy for working on my Z'  ;)

Anyway, I just bought the same mig as MaygZ, I've never used gassless and am still learning to weld, but it's a great little welder, I was producing 'good' results (for a noob! :P) after a couple of hours of practice (with gas). I've already made up a couple of repair panels for the front end of my Z with it.

If you haven't welded before and you do end up buying that one you pictured.. Throw that welding helmet away and buy a good auto darkening one, one less thing you have to worry about.  ;)

Why do you do that .

Aw sunshine don't take offence, spend a couple of years here (or even a couple of months) and you'll get the Jist of it. I spent about 14 hours one night/day just watching the gallery roll by. Put in the Hard yards, Dare to dream because these cars are worth it and you won't be another carbon copy of a young crummydore wannabe. It's all about "Time" and "Pressure" with these two elements you can change anything (except lurch)

Dang i need another beer  ;D

If you haven't welded before and you do end up buying that one you pictured.. Throw that welding helmet away and buy a good auto darkening one, one less thing you have to worry about.  ;)

Absobloodylutely!!  In both my courses (welding and panel beating) I've just finished they had the cheap bottomed standard face shield (with the obligitory burn marks all over the glass).  you couldn't see jack even when welding.  Bought an inexpensive ($130) auto darkening mask and now my life is paved with gold.  Now I can clearly see myself blowing holes in the side of the Zed!

Maybe should do a little more practise with my new welder??  Anyone want some welding done on their car?  I need practise.  ;D

Dale lets me practice on Orange (Zed) all the timeHe might get another one soon and you can come up to Ballarat and shows us your skills!!!

lol. Dale's a good bloke hey? He even lets you work on your mad angle grinder skills by chopping random bits out of his parts car  :D haha.

lol. Dale's a good bloke hey? He even lets you work on your mad angle grinder skills by chopping random bits out of his parts car  :D haha.

LOL, you should see what was done to a bonnet last week. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lincoln Powermig 180C, it is simply awesome. I have used it mainly on .75, .9 and 1.6 steel but it will to thicker gauge stuff just as well.

Not cheap but not too expensive either. Should be able to pick up a new one for around the $800-900 mark if you shop around. Well worth forking out for a quality unit IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LINCOLN-POWERMIG-180C-NEW-Warranty-/230488436209?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Welding&hash=item35aa2e6df1

I have a Lincoln Powermig 180C, it is simply awesome. I have used it mainly on .75, .9 and 1.6 steel but it will to thicker gauge stuff just as well.

Not cheap but not too expensive either. Should be able to pick up a new one for around the $800-900 mark if you shop around. Well worth forking out for a quality unit IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LINCOLN-POWERMIG-180C-NEW-Warranty-/230488436209?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Welding&hash=item35aa2e6df1

Is that Gasless ?

when i first got my mig it was set up for gasless, but i got a gass bottle straight away.

I could not work out why it wouldnt do a decent weld, until some one informed me that you have to revers the polls on the handle and earth clamp when changing form gasless to gas. Now it welds beautiful   

• 4 months later...