WATANABE R TYPE WANTERS PLEASE READ

DEVIL-Z 1973

Ok so I checked out Watanabe's site the other day and thought I would hit them up through email for a quote on some custom 17 inch R Type wheels for my 240Z project. Well of course as you know their email doesn't work so I decided to give them a call. I ended up talking with Enari Kiyotaka, a representative for the California shop. I told him what size I was wanting and he said that they don't have 17s available right now. I asked him if they could be custom made and he told me that he would hit up the main office and see. We traded personal emails with one another so he could contact me with the info.

Apparently the only way the main office will supply him 17s to sell is if I ordered 100 sets, (ha... not happening, 4 is expensive enough)which I then told him there is no way that happening but told him I really really wanted them in 17s or I wouldn't buy a set. So he hit up the main shop again. They told him that if he could find 25 PEOPLE that buy 4 wheels in 17 inch they would supply him with 100 sets.

So...I am here to ask anyone serious enough that is truly wanting 17 inch Watanabe R Type wheels, to PM me so I can make a list. Now the catch is that we have to decide on the 2 different setups of the wheels. I was thinking 17x9 and 17x9.5. The offset has to also be decided as well. So please give me some feed back on 1. popular wheel width as well as offset so we can agree and get these wheels ordered.

Again PM me if interested in getting 17s. Thanks for your guys time and help.

Howdy,

How much are we talking for these wheels? I think you would struggle to find 25 Z owners with flared guards that don't already have good wheels. I'd suggest advertising on other car forums as well. I like the idea though and I hope it works out!

Cheers,

Steve

I did the maths on this recently, and for four wheels delivered to Australia in 15 * 7.5 or so, it was going to be A$3200 delivered in aluminium, and $4200 for the magnesium. Price for larger varieties are not materially more money. I have a set of 15"*7" wats that I bought locally and they are a very nice rim indeed.

I'll stick with Bens Rota RBs. 

However, Toyota Corollas/Sprinters use the same stud pattern and sizes and offsets...  Have a look at Toymods, Hachi Roku (I think thats how its spelled), and any other forum similar.  You might be lucky there too.

If you order watanabes from that fellow in the US, whom I a have also spoken to at length, he will order direct with Japan and have the wheels sent straight to Australia. He is just the agent, and arranges orders with the company. This way, we save on transport costs, but don't be fooled, you're looking at close to A$3500 for four watanabe wheels delivered to Australia.

yes, you can get whatever you want (google Aerodyne USA as they have the best watanabe site yet), and they all come from Japan. The point I was making is that it appears that most of the watanabe agents don't hold a lot of inventory, instead they take your order and send to the factory for them to send out. This saves on freight costs and i guess improves the agents margin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I just came across these images and for me, I think I'm happy not to Flare my Z yet if I can get it to look like this:

desmoinespotd2010%20090.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20033.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20095.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20092.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20094.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20096.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20099.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20100.jpg

desmoinespotd2010%20093.jpg

Anyone care to guess what size they are?

Given they are the R type they are only available in the following sizing (given tyres are 16" - will only post 16" sizing)

16 x 8 0 Offset

16 x 8.5 -6 Offset

16 x 9 -13 Offset

16 x 9.5 -19 Offset

Now given I have 16 x 8.5 -6 and have test fitted these to the front of a stock S31 (here is a pic) rubber is 225/50/16 on my rim. Look at this pic and the pics posted above to see if you can work out the rim sizing. FYI that blue zed has the same RIM front and rear but different tyre sizing ;)

[Click to see larger pic]

thumbs_testfitwheels4.jpg thumbs_testfitwheels9.jpg

Here is pics of the wheel when I got the rubber installed - the one is the back is the front setup ie 16 x 8.5 -6 with 225/50/16 you can see the size of the second lip just before the spokes - compare this to the lip size in the blue car above - this leads me to believe they are 16x8.5 on that blue car - you will see the front and rear lips on the blue car has also been rolled. So does that help?

thumbs_wheels4.jpg

• Administrators

I've got some 16x8 r type on the way Gav for my 240, I'll post pics when the cars finished, me thinks you'll like them ;)

Sounds good, will await with baited breath.

Awesome find Gav, looks awesome. I'm not sure if I'd still flare my car if I hadn't already - the stock lines really are nice. My thoughts were if I wanted to go back I'd be happy enough with guards like the awesome 20b featured car has

My car has Watanabe 16x8 front and 16x8.5 rear. That's as big as you can go without stretching the tyres.

F Type I see they come in +5, +10 and +15 offsets in those size/width's so which ones have you got Ben - looks good wearing those rims too ;)