What sort of distributor is this? How do i hook it up?

d3c0y

Bought this dizzy out of an MQ Patrol L28 at the wreckers thinking it would be as easy to hook up to a 240Z as a 280ZX one. Stupid me.

It doesnt look like it has an ignition module on it but maybe you dont need one being an optical sensor to just fire the coil. It also has 3 wires coming out of it. If this cant be made to work can it be used with an MSD 6-A or similer?

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Cheers

Jake

• Moderators

Most likely it will need an external igniter to fire the coil. The good ol' Bosch 022 modules are easy to wire up. The 3 wires could be positive, negative and pulse signal output at a guess. You will need a wiring diagram for more accurate details. You will have to find out if it runs on 5V or 12V and what wire is what. I'm just guessing.

External ignitor would make sense i wish i could have found teh patrol it came out of. Good for an MSD i guess...

I should add that the optical gear inside has hitachi logos and the ID on the body is for a 280C or MQ Patrol.

If i get an MSD i still need to get the distributor re-curved for better advance right?

Hi Jake,

Looks like you have a Crane XR700 electronic ignition trigger. It would have been attached to the ignition module. I have one on my 260z. A good simple system which has been on my Zed for about 4 years.

Regards

David.

post-176-144023569296_thumb.gif

I have a Crane HI-6 and a LX-92 coil (45.000 volt), that i'm thinking about parting with, it's used, not new, i decited to use my NOS ZX dizzy.

Now you know i have it and if it's has any interest to you, you can PM me.

Chris