Brisbane Z related thread

roadshow

Hi all!

hey can anyone point me in the direction for some Z advice in the QLD region, or any advice at all would be great - i have been looking about this site and forum but due to inexperiance a lot of what is said goes a little over my head

I'm a first time Z owner (just bought my '77 260z 2+2 last Saturday) after lurking/looking about for at least 8-10 months, a self admitted noob no less!

My first job is to replace (or re-work?) the rear struts, can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest any specifics which i may need to consider, this job pretty much needs to get done asap

thanks heaps in advance!

(p.s. it looks as if Alan Stean is no longer running the Z car workshop, and the QLD club site has no forum etc.)

Heya

By rear struts do you mean the springs/shocks? Any suspension place can do that for you, I can't recommend anyone down here in Brisbane but in my hometown I bought new shock absorbers for my 74 z and the local suspension guy installed them for $50. If you need springs and shocks I would go all out and get all of the rubbers/bushes, springs and shocks to do the lot. I got a 1 inch lowered and hardened kit from my local guy for $1100 or $1200 (i think).

These are the parts he ordered for my 77 260z (not including rubbers obviously):

Shocks: KYB (Kayaba) Gas Shock Absorber Excel-G Part No. 361002

Front Springs: King Springs (Formula Chassis Parts) Part No. FDFL-04

Rear Springs: King Springs (Formula Chassis Parts) Part No. xxxx-xx [sorry havn't written this part number down yet :S]

While they were out i snaded and painted them aswell...

Suspension_Painted_Small.jpg

You can buy the parts and do it your self but you would need a spring compressor when it comes time to put it back together. It's honestly worth paying the labour for them to do it. It will take about a day and no work involved for you :) .

If you become a member of the z car club there are a lot of guys that can point you in the right direction here in Brisbane. I'll email someone and see how the forum is going, would be handy to have it back :)

• Administrators

Hi there, I recently replaced my struts in my 240z with Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks.

You can often find a set of shocks floating around on ebay. Sometimes local distributors place them on ebay because there old stock they want to get rid of.

I'm not sure what budget you have in mind, but doing it yourself won't save that much money. It's a relatively simple job with the right tools. I had trouble with mine because someone had done the upper gland nuts up way too tight.

As stated above it's probably a good idea to replace bushings and other suspension componentry all at the same time if possible and within budget. You will certainly notice a transformation in the way the car handles.

I'm pretty sure the 2+2's have different length inserts or they are different width. I can't recall I know I've been told before but not having had a 2+2 for a number of years doesn't really help.

Best of luck!

Anyone in Brisbane or close by should come along and visit the CLASSIC JAPANESE SHOW AND SHINE run by the Zed Club Qld

Sunday 1st October 2006 should be good for a variety of cars on show!

Regards

Lynton :D

? Directions as follows-

Map 89- follow Bruce Hwy, pass Kallangur, Mango Hill, pass Murrumba Downs, Griffin.

Map 99- pass Murrumba Downs over river, pass gateway arterial on left, stay on Gympie arterial to Strathpine.

Map 109- turn right Strathpine rd before Bald Hills. (This joins Gympie rd from the left) Straight through, entry to park cnr Kremzow rd.

? Alternate rain venue ? Petrie Village, Youngs Crossing rd, Petrie

(Confirm with Ray, Ph: 32094018 or 0431205888)

? Directions as follows-

Map 89- follow Bruce Hwy, pass Kallangur. Take Mango Hill left exit, to get onto Anzac Ave overpass on right of Hwy.

Map 88- stay on Anzac Ave, pass Petrie, follow to end at T junction(Map98)

Map98- at end of Anzac Ave turn right into Dayboro rd, follow to Young?s Crossing rd on left (Map 88)Follow 100m, turn right following signs to Show and Shine at Petrie Village.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks sushi & gav,

actually i'm not planning on replacing the entire struts, just a refurb for me, and i have no big plans to modify the car any time in the near future

but thanks heaps for the tips should i decide to replace them, but for now..... refurb

does anyone know or have a preferred list of people/businesses that i would be better off going to for this, even if this is a simple job i prefer to follow word of mouth advice anydays, especially from other zed owners!

?

CLASSIC JAPANESE SHOW AND SHINE run by the Zed Club Qld

great show put on by the z club, loads of great local Zed's and a few funny bits and pieces about the place (one hilarious subaru sticks in mind - must have been pre rally!)

i was happy to see a lot of different peoples zed's, some show cars, some rally and a few that look to be put to good use

if any thing i was hoping to see more 2+2's - being an owner myself and heavily biased of course - but all in all it was well worth it

Hi Roadshow' date='

I was there with my Vic number plated Blue 2+2 which was yours?

Did you see the yellow 2+2 for sale $12K phew!

Lynton :)[/quote']

Hey Lynton,

i remeber you there mate, i was very interested in your z as it's the same model as mine, which was not there...

hey check you PM's

cheers

Hey Nigel just another couple of pics to let you know that the car appears to be in good safe keeping hands.

You must be dissappointed to have sold it but life has its mysterious ways I am sure we will see you with another Zed just as unique, one day?

Lynton :(

post-24-144023472629_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023472635_thumb.jpg