fuel delivery problem

Bruce

Hi Guys,

wondering if you can help?

Went to try and start my car on the weekend after not starting it for a month or so and it refused to start. (Stock 240Z twin SU's, mechanical fuel pump)

It was turning over so I pulled a fuel line off the Carby and there was no fuel coming through.

I pulled the mechanical fuel pump off (which appears to be quite new) and hand pumped it and it siphoned fuel out of a container and shot it 20 feet across the yard so this appears to be fine. I swapped over the fuel filter but to no avail.

I thought there might have been a blockage in the fuel line so I blew compressed air back down into the tank (with the fuel cap off)

The refitted fuel filter is not filling with fuel after a lot of cranking.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

cheers

Bruce

There is fuel in the tank isn't there? If it was running happily a month ago I would suggest filling it up as much as you can, then spraying fuel into the SU's to get it to fire/crank over a few times.

I'm not sure how long you cranked it for, but it could just be that the fuel in the lines has evaporated/drained back to the tank.

Dave

Mmmm, have you tried getting the fuel pump to draw from a small container at the front of the car? If that doesn't work, check there is fuel getting to the float bowls in case the needle and seats are stuck (an inverted screwdriver tapped on the hose fittings usually works)

I got the car started tonight.

Probably not the best way to do it, but I sucked fuel through the pump from one of the lines that was running into one of the carbies.

I then turned over the ignition and it kept flowing through the pump which it wasn't doing the other day. Reconnected the line to the carby and turned it over again and it started. :D

cheers

Bruce