r200 3.9 lsd

herrods

• Moderators

It's not a bad price; ready to bolt in a zed after you replace the front flange with your original and pop out the stubs from your R200. They used to sell for $990 but he's upped the price!

It's not a bad price; ready to bolt in a zed after you replace the front flange with your original and pop out the stubs from your R200. They used to sell for $990 but he's upped the price!

Really? For a 25+ year old diff  that needs further modding to work?

You could get a newer R180 from a WRX with the mods for a zed for close to that..no ?

• Moderators

The one I removed from a early Skyline, I took it to a well renowned gearbox/diff man and he told me the internals where almost like new. The Skyline only had around 76K on it. With the 180, you still have to chase up custom made outputs yet with the 200, you just use all the parts from your original diff. It's up to you whichever you choose.

Ahhhhh with all due respect Herrods & Kalium you guys don't know what you are talking about. That is the standard price if not more for an R200 LSD. I thought by the initial post you wern't sure what the going rate was. To ask for an R200 preferably an LSD??? Well the price difference is about $700- or more between the two. I paid $1,100- for a second hand one a few years back and spent another $400- beefing it up.

In short if you don't really care if it is an LSD or not and money is an issue. Then just get a cheapo R180 or R200 non LSD for $300- to $400-.

Ahhhhh with all due respect Herrods & Kalium you guys don't know what you are talking about.

That's why I had question marks after my statements :-p

I think I've seen the WRX R180 diffs go for around $500'ish, and you can buy the side axles from the states for about $280 a pair.

No worries Kalium. RB30X I can guarantee that isn't an LSD diff. Also keep in mind 4.4 diff's are cheaper than the very desirable 3.9's. Then you get onto the rare 3.36's (LSD) of which I have sitting around at home I wouldn't sell it for less than $1,800-. Mind you I plan on keeping it as a spare.

I guess if your not pumping huge power and not going to track the car then just but a standard R180 to bolt straight in a save heaps of cash with a view to upgrading later if necessary.

I guess if your not pumping huge power and not going to track the car then just but a standard R180 to bolt straight in a save heaps of cash with a view to upgrading later if necessary.

correct me if im wrong 620z, but a r180 doesnt bolt straight in does it?  the R200 is the bolt in option.

I have no idea what the prices are supposed to be like, i assumed similar to the LSD prices we just paid for a subaru brumby project, and i was mistaken.

I saw the 2 off evil-bay and came to my local friendly zed community to find out if i was about to be ripped off...

Hi Herrods look you might be right on the R180. I am not 100% sure of a straight bolt in since I have never had one. You will have to ask one of the many experts on this site. Can anyone give Herrods some info here?

Thanks

The STI R180 is a bolt in option except for 2 things.

1.You need to swap the drive shaft flange for one from a zed.

2.You need the stub axles to insert in the STI diff and bolt to your half shafts. You will ethier have to get these made or get a set from the USA.

• Moderators

how does one determine the ratio of a diff?  (so i can get zedhead26's diff of of him)

Two ways;

1) remove rear cover and look at numbers stamped on crown gear

2) Rotate input flange and count number of turns to make the output flanges turn once. But make sure both output flanges rotate together and not just one. Scribe a mark on the diff housing to be accurate next to the input flange and also on the o/p flange. You can tell for example if it's a 3.9 when the input flange almost makes it around 4 times but just stops short or just goes past the fourth time making it a 4.1 etc..

• Moderators

If you have a standard open R200, the stub axles from that fit into the LSD R200's from the early Skylines just by swapping the shafts from left with the right one and vice-versa. If you have a vernier with the depth gauge, you can check by looking inside which side the longer and shorter one go in hence the left/right axle.

I've been watching this thread and must be missing something. I've got an R200 to go in the car, but before that I was thinking of chucking a LSD into it...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170470830861#ht_2831wt_722 and ratios aside, hey presto r200 LSD?!

• Moderators

With things like that, you have to be careful about the spline count; with that close up pic he has put up, count the splines and compare it with the zed R200. I keep forgeting how many splines the zed dif has...I think 29? If you find a LSD center from an early Skyline, that can be bolted straight in but there are 2 different bolt sizes used on the crown wheel... M10 and M12. Rings can be made to fit M10 bolts into the M12 holes..I did it with mine when I swapped the ratio's from 4.4 to a 3.9 courtesy of Benzed....

With things like that, you have to be careful about the spline count; with that close up pic he has put up, count the splines and compare it with the zed R200. I keep forgeting how many splines the zed dif has...I think 29? If you find a LSD center from an early Skyline, that can be bolted straight in but there are 2 different bolt sizes used on the crown wheel... M10 and M12. Rings can be made to fit M10 bolts into the M12 holes..I did it with mine when I swapped the ratio's from 4.4 to a 3.9 courtesy of Benzed....

I'm not sure about a Zed either, but AFAIK, a silvia esque R180 is a 27 spile, as is a WRX STI. A regular WRX LSD is a 25 spline.  I'm pretty sure that a zed is neither a 25 or 27.

amazing how fast it can get complicated huh.

(for those who search in future)(correct me if i have misread something)

so for cars where a long nose R200 open diff is standard

- a longnose R200 LSD will fit, but the stub axles need to be swapped from right to left, no extra parts.

- An R180 LSD will fit, but new custom stub axles need to be bought, which are around the traps if you look

- An R200 diff centre can be bought, but bolt sizing on the crown wheel could be an issue (fixable) and the buyer MUST get a centre with the coffect number of splines, and the only way to find this out is to count them on your diff.

zedman26, can you have a look inside your diff?  find out the ratio for me?  if its 3.9 i will take it off your hands.

Cheers

Dave

That matches my understanding. There is another option....just to complicate things further. You can purchase an LSD centre for an R180. But as you mentioned for the R200 you need to take care with the number of splines.

For me it made sense to go with the STI diff. I got one for $300 plus $600 for the stub axles. Thats $900 all up for an LSD that is less than 10 years old.

For me it made sense to go with the STI diff. I got one for $300 plus $600 for the stub axles. Thats $900 all up for an LSD that is less than 10 years old.

Exactly.

Better deal than what the older R200s go for I reckon. (plus you save about 10kg with the R180  ;))

Exactly.

Better deal than what the older R200s go for I reckon. (plus you save about 10kg with the R180  ;))

I also grind the back lugs of the diff (we don't use them) that saves me another KG so make that 11KG saving :)