Track Tyre pressure

I have had toyo r888's and dunlop's, i usually run 29 on working side and 30 on non working side, then check immediately after first run to even the hot temps out. Bathurst may work the tyre a little more than other tracks though  :-\  I agree, try 28 to start and check temps/ pressures straight away.

Greg, have a chat with Jason when you get there. My recommendation would be around 28 front 28 rear. As lurch said get a infra red gauge and check the tyres as soon as you can after your run. What you're looking for is an even temprature across the tyre.

Also, before you head out have a chat to the tyre blokes there, see Billy at Gordon Leven Tyres, let him know Matt Ryeland from up north with the Green and white diamond Z sent you, he probably won't remember me ;D. Billy will sort you for pressures as he is the Bridgestone motorsport distributor for NSW and will be spot on with what pressures to start with for the conditions there on the day.

If you want some more info, you can give me a call before you head off down south, pm me for number if you want.

I'll be around for the next couple of days  on here before heading back out into the field.

As the other guys have said, about 28psi cold is a good starting point.  I assume you have the SR2 compound?  The most important thing is to check them as soon as you come in after each run while the tyres are hot.  Try to get them so they're about 34 psi hot.  If they go over 36psi hot they will go to mush.

You're cold starting psi will need to take into account the ambient & track temp and how long you intend to run for. The colder it is, the less variance you will have between cold to hot temp psi. As per Scando's comment, 34 psi hot should be your target.

you boys in oz do run high pressures - we have 30psi hot here in NZ any higher and the car is all over the place so we start around 25-26psi and check after each race - that is my job, temp and pressure check. That is R888 toyo BTW

Be careful. This information only applies to street legal slicks. They have a different structure (stiffer side walls) that allows them to run at lower pressure.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH STANDARD STREET TYRES.

Will it be ok on Bridgestone RE55s semi slicks? (For sprints)

I have felt that my previous were to high, so time to play with pressures.

Will it be ok on Bridgestone RE55s semi slicks? (For sprints)

I have felt that my previous were to high, so time to play with pressures.

yeah, no worries on semis. For all semis you should be looking at around a hot temp of 32-34psi, starting pressures at 24-28psi depending on tyre.

If in any doubt and to get a good starting point always talk to your tyre deraler when buying the tyres. If they are any good they will ask questions like what type of car, suspension mods, basic alignment specs and weight. From this they will be able to give you a good starting point for pressures.

As an exam[ple of different tyre typres and pressures run for the same car:

My 240 track car has run in a couple of different classes and therefore very differnt tyres.

Slicks use a starting pressure of 22-23psi

semis, in this case Toyo proxes RA1's 24-26psi depending on whether its a wet track or hill climb

and when the car ran as a 3F street sedan and the control tyre was a Ducaro the starting pressure was 38-40psi for a buffed street tyre.

you boys in oz do run high pressures - we have 30psi hot here in NZ any higher and the car is all over the place so we start around 25-26psi and check after each race - that is my job, temp and pressure check. That is R888 toyo BTW

I haven't run the Toyos but I've heard they like low pressures.  Might explain the difference?  I've only run Bridgestones and Dunlops.  Bridgestones I would start with 28-29 and aim for 34-35 hot.  Dunlops I would start with 25-26 cold and aim for 32-33 hot.

I've have used mainly the Yoko's r spec semi slick and have aimed for 32-34 hot as advised by the tyre dealer but this can also vary depending on whther the compoud is a soft or medium