All original '74 to '79 Datsun 260Z 2+2 Manual with factory Air Conditioning

Hiya Z enthusiasts,

I'm wondering if I could pick your collective brains.

I'm presently searching to buy an all original '74 to '79 Datsun 260Z 2+2 5sp with factory Air Conditioning.

I have no real preference for exterior colour just not the brown interior, but then beggars can't be choosers.

I say this because I've been looking for this specification Z for over a year now and all to no avail >:( (found plenty that match bar for being auto's)

I presently own a hand full of classic early 70's Mazda Rotary's and a '68 Ford Mustang GT 4sp all of which are all original. (I mention this purely to indicate that I'm a serious classic car collector.)

I have always loved the Z shape and so I'm acting on making this dream come true, but the problem is I'm a fussy buyer, but luckily a patient one.

Due to having a family I've only considered the 260Z 2+2 model and am not interested in owning an auto Z car.

If I succeed in buying this 260Z 2+2 5sp Air Con car, it will be my first venture in to Datsun ownership though my father bought new a green 79 5sp Skyline with my mum driving a Datsun / Nissan Prairie.

My question is do you think I've got my head in the clouds in trying to find a 260Z 2+2 5sp Air Con car ?

I'm prepared to be patient and happy to wait for the right car.

Ideally I'm wanting to find a one owner 260Z 2+2 5sp Air Con car or something in the same all original condition as the mustard coloured 240Z on http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/133680-datsun-240z?query=240z

I love original unrestored cars particularly.

My 260Z 2+2 wish list would be:

- highly desirable - original factory applied paint (OK if had a few minor touch ups but vast majority is still original paint and OK to have very minor surface rust);

- mandatory - no accident history (OK to have shopping trolley dings);

- mandatory - original factory installed engine (including intake and exhaust system) (OK if tired);

- mandatory - original factory installed 5sp (OK if tired);

- mandatory - original factory installed diff (OK if tired);

- mandatory - original factory installed interior (OK to have cracked dash and a few minor splits/tears in the drivers seat);

- mandatory - original factory installed Air Con (OK if not working but must be complete in the car);

- mandatory - proven ownership history with accurate odometer KLM reading;

- highly desirable - original sale documents/manuals etc;

- highly desirable - original factory installed wheels (OK if they've swapped out the original wheels)

Again do you think my above 260Z 2+2 wish list is practical and realistic ?

I look forward to your replies and in anticipation thank you for giving me your time to reply.

PS if you know of a car that fits my wish list please contact me or private message me.

PPS From my 260Z research I've noticed a few things and I wondered if those Z connoisseurs could answer a few query's of mine regarding:

- the variety of interior colour schemes offered back in the day ? (did some exterior colours match interior colours - like with Mazda's - or could any exterior colour match with any interior colour - like with Ford.)

- was the centre console armrest (coinbox) an option, as some I've seen are fitted with it and some not ?

- why do some 260Z's have the bonnet vents and some don't ?

- bonnet vents - why is only the left vent covered from the underside stopping water reaching the engine bay ? (ie. right vent allows water straight through the vent unlike the left vent due to the cover fitted from the underside).

- what were the factory options and what were the dealer fitted options ?

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums...

Your wish list seems realistic to me. You haven't mentioned anything about rust though; But I assume some rust is ok as lons as its not terminal. Zeds like this do appear but it all depends on your budget. If you have around $9-12k, that should find you a nice example.

With the vents, they should be on both sides if it hasn't been tampered with. I know because I have covers for both sides.

Anyways, good luck for the search and as you said, you have patience which you will need..

I think it is a good target. I would not rule out autos that don't have air. Both of these can be changed quite easily if you find a decent car worth the investment.

In other words if you find an auto without air for $2000 under your limit and the rest of the car is solid then it is worth buying the car and converting it.

Good luck with it.

• Administrators

I've see a few cars match this criteria over the years. In fact a nice blue 2+2 such as this was for sale a couple of years ago. It was going cheap at around $5k.

RE: Vents the 260z went through a couple of changes over the years. The earlier 74-75 cars didn't have vents, the dashboard gauges used a different type-face and wiring set up and the door jambs had different locking mechanisms when compared with the 76 - 77 model cars.

There are lots of other subtle differences in the years, but nothing too major other than that. The change over seems to co-inside with the introduction of the 280z series offered in the US (which had fuel injection). Although this was offered in 75 in the states. So it took another year before Australia noticed a change in the model.

The only problem with the 260z's is the original intake equipment. Many owners have changed over to the British SU or Hitachi SU (240z style). This is due to issues related to the flat top carbs. Vapor lock is common (especially in Australian heat) and parts for the flat tops are difficult to source. Performance was also hurt.

I understand you require an original vehicle though, so you may be willing to overlook this issue. You could always change over to Triples or 240Z SU's, and at resale time refit the original intake system etc..

Loads of 2+2's were fitted with Auto's especially in cars delivered to Australia. So depending on how important this item is to originality you may consider converting an Auto over.

Price wise I think you should be able to find what you want for what Dimitri has stated, but you may get lucky and find a good car around the $7k mark.

Its really just a game of patience, I'm sure you know judging by your collection of other cars.

Also feel free to post some photos of your early Mazda's I'm a bit of a rotary fan myself :).

Oh and 1 other thing, the Air-Con never seems to work anyway. So you would have to rebuilt / fix this most likely.

Welcome to the forums...

Your wish list seems realistic to me. You haven't mentioned anything about rust though; But I assume some rust is ok as lons as its not terminal. Zeds like this do appear but it all depends on your budget. If you have around $9-12k, that should find you a nice example.

With the vents, they should be on both sides if it hasn't been tampered with. I know because I have covers for both sides.

Anyways, good luck for the search and as you said, you have patience which you will need..

Thanks "Zedman240" for the welcome  ;D

Glad you think I'm being realistic  ;D

RE: cancer oh I mean rust. Yes nothing terminal. I'm hoping for minor spots of surface rust - nothing serious. Effectively I'm after a fastidiously maintained car. But I'm realistic seeing it is a 35yr old car.

RE: budget happy to spend up to $12k for the right car or up to $15k for the perfect car.

RE: bonnet vent covers - never seen them on both sides but will take note of what you state.

thanks for your time ;D

I think it is a good target. I would not rule out autos that don't have air. Both of these can be changed quite easily if you find a decent car worth the investment.

In other words if you find an auto without air for $2000 under your limit and the rest of the car is solid then it is worth buying the car and converting it.

Good luck with it.

Hi "galderdi"

thanks for taking the time to reply  ;D

I take you point but this won't be an option for me.

Reason why, I'm a super fussy buyer, in that I want an all original car. If it didn't have a 5sp to begin with I don't want to do a auto to manual transplate.

I would possibly consider fitting A/C to a 5sp but again my preference is for it to have it factory fitted. Doesn't have to be working just all the original parts there.

Thanks for wishing me luck too ;D

Does this mean that an original, matching numbers 260Z 2+2 5 speed with factory air is rare and hard to find? Or is it that all the ones you have found don't meet your peferences?

Simon.

Ah clever Simon  ;D

If I was to answer this honestly I'd say yes to both of your questions.

As previously stated I'm a fussy buyer and happy to wait for the right car.

The longer I wait the better idea I get of what's out there and possibly (and hopefully) I don't think back to "the one that got away".

I've see a few cars match this criteria over the years. In fact a nice blue 2+2 such as this was for sale a couple of years ago. It was going cheap at around $5k.

RE: Vents the 260z went through a couple of changes over the years. The earlier 74-75 cars didn't have vents, the dashboard gauges used a different type-face and wiring set up and the door jambs had different locking mechanisms when compared with the 76 - 77 model cars.

There are lots of other subtle differences in the years, but nothing too major other than that. The change over seems to co-inside with the introduction of the 280z series offered in the US (which had fuel injection). Although this was offered in 75 in the states. So it took another year before Australia noticed a change in the model.

The only problem with the 260z's is the original intake equipment. Many owners have changed over to the British SU or Hitachi SU (240z style). This is due to issues related to the flat top carbs. Vapor lock is common (especially in Australian heat) and parts for the flat tops are difficult to source. Performance was also hurt.

I understand you require an original vehicle though, so you may be willing to overlook this issue. You could always change over to Triples or 240Z SU's, and at resale time refit the original intake system etc..

Loads of 2+2's were fitted with Auto's especially in cars delivered to Australia. So depending on how important this item is to originality you may consider converting an Auto over.

Price wise I think you should be able to find what you want for what Dimitri has stated, but you may get lucky and find a good car around the $7k mark.

Its really just a game of patience, I'm sure you know judging by your collection of other cars.

Also feel free to post some photos of your early Mazda's I'm a bit of a rotary fan myself :).

Oh and 1 other thing, the Air-Con never seems to work anyway. So you would have to rebuilt / fix this most likely.

Hi “gav240z” or should I say Gavin,

firstly thanks for a fantastic reply.  I love detail so the more the better for me :-)

Really appreciate your giving me your time too.

Sounds like I started my search just a few months too late with the blue one you mention.

OK RE: bonnet vents. What about the covers – meant to be on both sides as “Zedman240” states? (not that I don’t believe him – just wanting another opinion).

I knew about the carbs and have noted that most original 260Z carbs have been swapped out for the genuine UK SU’s for reasons you mention.  I’m fine with this if in a car I purchase as its an easy swap back to original (as long as I find the original parts).

RE: Auto – not an option – just not interested in an auto trans Z car even if all other criteria match perfectly.

As you state being patient is key and I have great patience especially seeing I have other classics to drive.

Happy to fix A/C – expect it to need attending to being a 35yr old car.

Thanks again for your time.

PS I’ll try and post a photo of one of my well know all original RX3’s.

Just wondered if anyone knew the answers to these outstanding questions  ;D

- the variety of interior colour schemes offered back in the day ? (did some exterior colours match interior colours - like with Mazda's - or could any exterior colour match with any interior colour - like with Ford.)

- was the centre console armrest (coinbox) an option, as some I've seen are fitted with it and some not ?

- what were the factory options ?

- what were the dealer fitted options ?

thanks again  ;D

I knew about the carbs and have noted that most original 260Z carbs have been swapped out for the genuine UK SU’s for reasons you mention. 

Actually the 260z's infamous 'Flat Top' Hitachi SUs are normally swapped with the 240z 'Round Top' Hitachi SUs, not British SUs. The Hitachi round tops look very similar to normal British SUs but if you had one of each type you would be able to see a number of small differences.

I can't help with your other questions except to say that my 75 260z 2 seater had no armrest, bonnet vents with no covers, and was an easy step to convert from auto to manual.

Good luck with the search!

Oh it is really good to see some genuine 2+2 interest on this forum. :P

I was around and 25 years old when 260Z's were brand new off the showroom floor and I purchased a manual 260Z coupe in 1975 after trading in my 1969 Datsun 2000 Sports.

260Z's came out late 1974 emissions free other than the carbon cannister under the bonnet.

The 2+2 came out standard with 5 speed manual or Auto, am/fm radio, hubcaps, steering wheel centre padded hub, no bonnet vents, vinyl covered transmission tunnel, open console, black armrests, $8550-00 on the road.

Early 1976 they upgraded the Zed, adding mag wheels, carpet over the transmission tunnel,  and in mid 1976 added pollution equipment to the engine, bonnet vents were introduced, air-conditioning and am/fm  search radio cassette were now an options pack, steering wheel had a smaller stylish horn hub, interior of the 2+2 now had color co-ordinated armrests and carpets and vinyls. The interior colors were beige/white, bronze/brown and black, the centre console with a lid was introduced.

The 2+2 was an upmarket stylish coupe in its day driven mainly by executives and/or their wives. With patience it is possible to find the car of your dreams but it took me 7 years to find the right car I finally purchased in 1989.

Due to the age of these cars and their suitability or lack of suitability to a buyer it is likely the car will be modified for street friendly driving, this would include 240Z carbies, electronic ignition, new gas for air-conditioning and possibly replacement air-conditioning compressor, most Zeds would have had a repaint as the duco was not good for Oz sunshine, rust is an issue regardless, if you are local in Qld my car would be a decent car to view to get ideas of originality, I still have all the parts I have removed except exhaust. Dealer options fitted as extras were vinyl roof, chrome front nudge bar, perspex headlight covers, front and rear spoiler, lanbswool seat covers, mine has a cargo blind, mudflaps, pinstriping, towbar. I am the 2nd owner of my car. Lynton 8)

post-24-144023562097_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023562104_thumb.jpg

post-24-14402356211_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023562116_thumb.jpg

Ah clever Simon  ;D

If I was to answer this honestly I'd say yes to both of your questions.

As previously stated I'm a fussy buyer and happy to wait for the right car.

The longer I wait the better idea I get of what's out there and possibly (and hopefully) I don't think back to "the one that got away".

I must admit I was a bit cheeky in my question 8). It's just that I own a 77' 260Z with factory 5 speed and a/c.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4323.0.html

I hope you find the one you want because I enjoy mine every time I drive it. Even if the a/c dont work.

Just wondered if anyone knew the answers to these outstanding questions  ;D

snip

- what were the factory options ?

- what were the dealer fitted options ?

thanks again  ;D

I was fortunate to have brought my first zed in '78, obviously a 260, but a 2+2 5 speed manual. Oddly, my current 260 is stock (with original carbs) & auto, I swear it goes better.

I brought it from Brad Boyden Datsun, Essendon opposite the Airport (no longer there), trading in my V6 Capri, got $2K for it and paid $12.5K for the zed.

Now this was dealer optioned as it had been smicked up for Brad Boyden!

Options included a front nudge bar, a blue metallic rear window insert (never seen another) which matched the body colour, padded arm rest over the coin tray & air con.  The seats where fully reclining, something that my current 260 doesn't do, so I'm not sure if they where a option or just came that way in the model year?

It was a sh*t to start hot...no surprises there! stupidly, I traded it on a RX7 and have missed it ever since.

A 260Z is actually a joy to drive over a 240Z, just something different about them on the road( I have both, so I can compare them)!

Personally, I wouldn't discount an auto, it's more likely not to be flogged in it's early life and could be converted. On the other hand you could join me in the more exclusive 260Z club of 2+2, original and auto....

Good luck hunting! :)

Mike

edit..forgot to add the sheepskin seat covers & mud flaps, not sure if the cassette player was factory or dealer.

Actually the 260z's infamous 'Flat Top' Hitachi SUs are normally swapped with the 240z 'Round Top' Hitachi SUs, not British SUs. The Hitachi round tops look very similar to normal British SUs but if you had one of each type you would be able to see a number of small differences.

I can't help with your other questions except to say that my 75 260z 2 seater had no armrest, bonnet vents with no covers, and was an easy step to convert from auto to manual.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks for giving me your time and expanding on this - love reading details - all adds to my 260Z education  ;D

Oh it is really good to see some genuine 2+2 interest on this forum. :P

I was around and 25 years old when 260Z's were brand new off the showroom floor and I purchased a manual 260Z coupe in 1975 after trading in my 1969 Datsun 2000 Sports.

260Z's came out late 1974 emissions free other than the carbon cannister under the bonnet.

The 2+2 came out standard with 5 speed manual or Auto, am/fm radio, hubcaps, steering wheel centre padded hub, no bonnet vents, vinyl covered transmission tunnel, open console, black armrests, $8550-00 on the road.

Early 1976 they upgraded the Zed, adding mag wheels, carpet over the transmission tunnel,  and in mid 1976 added pollution equipment to the engine, bonnet vents were introduced, air-conditioning and am/fm  search radio cassette were now an options pack, steering wheel had a smaller stylish horn hub, interior of the 2+2 now had color co-ordinated armrests and carpets and vinyls. The interior colors were beige/white, bronze/brown and black, the centre console with a lid was introduced.

The 2+2 was an upmarket stylish coupe in its day driven mainly by executives and/or their wives. With patience it is possible to find the car of your dreams but it took me 7 years to find the right car I finally purchased in 1989.

Due to the age of these cars and their suitability or lack of suitability to a buyer it is likely the car will be modified for street friendly driving, this would include 240Z carbies, electronic ignition, new gas for air-conditioning and possibly replacement air-conditioning compressor, most Zeds would have had a repaint as the duco was not good for Oz sunshine, rust is an issue regardless, if you are local in Qld my car would be a decent car to view to get ideas of originality, I still have all the parts I have removed except exhaust. Dealer options fitted as extras were vinyl roof, chrome front nudge bar, perspex headlight covers, front and rear spoiler, lanbswool seat covers, mine has a cargo blind, mudflaps, pinstriping, towbar. I am the 2nd owner of my car. Lynton 8)

Excellent reply Lynton !!  Thank you !!

My pleasure to raise the profile :-)

Reading between the lines it would seem that the 2+2 is apparently considered the ugly cousin to the 2 seater Z cars. I genuinely didn't know that if indeed the case. I love the classic sports car shape - long bonnet short boot. Classic sports car. The fact that its a 4 seater is in my opinion even better.

Thank you for giving me your time, expanding on the 260Z differences.

Us younger folk  ;) love to read information like this from first hand knowledge - it is invaluable.

You're car is beautiful. Love the blue with white interior.

Love the fact that you're only the 2nd owner too and have resisted the urge to modify it from original - easy swap out mods are fine in my opinion as long as you retained the original parts as you state  ;)

I know what you're saying about it being unlikely to find a original car nowadays but believe it or not I've managed to do it with 3 times with the Mazda RX3 and it, in my opinion, was a car that had even more of a chance of being highly modded. Though to be fair I think there were a hell of allot more RX3's sold than 260Z 2+2 manuals.  When you say you took as long as you did to find an original back in the 80's then it isn't looking good for me some 20+ years later !!

Luckily I'm an optimist :-)

Do you know what happened to your brand new 1975 purchased 260Z?

Have you managed to track it down to buy back or is the one you have sufficient to satisfy you?

I must admit I was a bit cheeky in my question 8). It's just that I own a 77' 260Z with factory 5 speed and a/c.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,4323.0.html

I hope you find the one you want because I enjoy mine every time I drive it. Even if the a/c dont work.

Yes I had a looksee at your car once I read your post and saw your signature.

Nice indeed - I think if I was to buy one back in the day it would have the white interior despite it showing the "dirt" quicker.

Just love the white.

The  photo with your kid laying on the skate board as a creeper was funny too :-)  Can totally relate.

Thanks for the wishes too :-)

I was fortunate to have brought my first zed in '78, obviously a 260, but a 2+2 5 speed manual. Oddly, my current 260 is stock (with original carbs) & auto, I swear it goes better.

I brought it from Brad Boyden Datsun, Essendon opposite the Airport (no longer there), trading in my V6 Capri, got $2K for it and paid $12.5K for the zed.

Now this was dealer optioned as it had been smicked up for Brad Boyden!

Options included a front nudge bar, a blue metallic rear window insert (never seen another) which matched the body colour, padded arm rest over the coin tray & air con.  The seats where fully reclining, something that my current 260 doesn't do, so I'm not sure if they where a option or just came that way in the model year?

It was a sh*t to start hot...no surprises there! stupidly, I traded it on a RX7 and have missed it ever since.

A 260Z is actually a joy to drive over a 240Z, just something different about them on the road( I have both, so I can compare them)!

Personally, I wouldn't discount an auto, it's more likely not to be flogged in it's early life and could be converted. On the other hand you could join me in the more exclusive 260Z club of 2+2, original and auto....

Good luck hunting! :)

Mike

edit..forgot to add the sheepskin seat covers & mud flaps, not sure if the cassette player was factory or dealer.

You guys on this forum really are a great bunch.

Thanks for giving me your time and expanding on the options. Really appreciate it.

By the sounds you have a lovely car and all that I'm after except I'm just not a auto person. I bought a auto RX4 Sedan when I was 19yr before I knew better and subsequently swore never again. 20+yrs later I'm still put off buying one. No offence meant :-)

Sounds like you've always had sports cars in your blood. A V6 Capri is a rare car nowadays and I imagine it was back in the day. The '79 to '85 RX7 was a great car but then I'm bias as Rotary enthusiast, but definitely not suitable for 4 people.

Maybe I'll think the RX7 is just a great car after I drive a 260Z, with it being a fantastic car !

You know both, so maybe I'm yet to find out.

With the 240Z to 260Z drive comparison - would it likely be due to the yearly improvements in Monocoque design/construction from 1969 to 1979?

Personally I don't think the 2+2 is the ugly cousin, it is all a matter of opinion really, the number of sales of the 260Z 2+2 in 76 & 77 speak for itself, compared to the 2 seater coupe! The 2+2 in numbers today have now in my opinion diminished very quickly but the cars were generally better looked after from a history point of view because of the type of buyer back in the mid 70's that could afford one. I have posted a photo of my 260z coupe in 75' but I have no idea where it is, even if it is still alive!! Your comments about my difficulty of buying a genuine manual zed based on the time it took me to buy is similar right now today. I have a stock standard Nissan 200sx S15 R-spec the same age as my 260Z when I sold it, 9 years later it is still immaculate and an unblemished vehicle but look at what you see on the roads mostly heavily modified cars many with panel damaged and only a few running around left stock standard. The zeds I looked at during the 80's were already rust infected, carpets torn up from heater leaks, duco heavily oxidised, seats ripped and dashboards cracked, mags without centre caps, consoles cracked, still a bit the same today really but the coupe I sold was mine from new and still like new I just didn't know how badly other cars had deteriorated when I sold it.

The other thing about the coupe is it was introduced after the Datsun 2000 sports and progressively put out of business the MGB, Jensen Healey, Triumph GT6 and TR6, Alpha Romeo Spider which were considered sports cars because of the thoroughbred 2 seater rag top being referred to as a real sports car, 240/260z were called tin tops not real sports cars until their racing debut helped them over the line to join the list of "sport cars" as with Porsche, Mustangs etc; Lynton 8)

post-24-144023562259_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023562265_thumb.jpg

Reading this is like remembering a old flame....or discovering a lost one!

Forgot the headlight covers, they where trimmed with chrome, also the passenger foot rest or panic foot bar, depending on your driving ability. Old age is a curse, but with a little prompting, the memories flood back.

Glad to see that there are others that don't consider a 2+2 the ugly duckling of the family...

Personally I don't think the 2+2 is the ugly cousin, it is all a matter of opinion really, the number of sales of the 260Z 2+2 in 76 & 77 speak for itself, compared to the 2 seater coupe! The 2+2 in numbers today have now in my opinion diminished very quickly but the cars were generally better looked after from a history point of view because of the type of buyer back in the mid 70's that could afford one. I have posted a photo of my 260z coupe in 75' but I have no idea where it is, even if it is still alive!! Your comments about my difficulty of buying a genuine manual zed based on the time it took me to buy is similar right now today. I have a stock standard Nissan 200sx S15 R-spec the same age as my 260Z when I sold it, 9 years later it is still immaculate and an unblemished vehicle but look at what you see on the roads mostly heavily modified cars many with panel damaged and only a few running around left stock standard. The zeds I looked at during the 80's were already rust infected, carpets torn up from heater leaks, duco heavily oxidised, seats ripped and dashboards cracked, mags without centre caps, consoles cracked, still a bit the same today really but the coupe I sold was mine from new and still like new I just didn't know how badly other cars had deteriorated when I sold it.

The other thing about the coupe is it was introduced after the Datsun 2000 sports and progressively put out of business the MGB, Jensen Healey, Triumph GT6 and TR6, Alpha Romeo Spider which were considered sports cars because of the thoroughbred 2 seater rag top being referred to as a real sports car, 240/260z were called tin tops not real sports cars until their racing debut helped them over the line to join the list of "sport cars" as with Porsche, Mustangs etc; Lynton 8)

Sorry I didn't mean to tarnish the 260Z 2+2 with the ugly stick.

I suppose I just interpreted your comment "Oh it is really good to see some genuine 2+2 interest on this forum." in this way.

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this beholder loves the 260Z 2+2 shape !!

RE: the 7 years it took for you to find your one owner 260Z 2+2 in the 80's indicating how hard it was to find an original unmolested 260Z 2+2.

The 200SX R spec comparo is a great comparo to when you were searching in the 80's for your 260Z 2+2 if a person was searching today for a one owner 200SX R spec as indeed your description of modifying is accurate.

The 260Z 2+2 was not considered classic in the 80's and thus not respected to keep original likewise the 200SX.

If searching for an original 260Z 2+2 today I think if any have survived I'd expect (hope) that they wouldn't be modded like they would have been in the 80's/90's....... but then it's not unheard of that people mod original cars :(

Other things that are different when searching for a 260Z 2+2 today when compared to the 80's, is that today there is the internet. This really has opened the search parameters up big time for buyers.

You get to view and read about allot more cars than just having the local rag, newspaper, word of mouth or monthly "Trading Post".

In saying all this I do agree that the odds are against me of finding the car you found in '89 - that is an original owner 260Z 2+2 5sp but if I do I'll be buying it immediately as I'm sure it'd been babied and cherished by its loving owner for them to have kept it all these years.

Nice commentry on the "tin tops" too :)

Your 1975 260Z 2+2 was a lovely car. Very nostalgic photo's.

Did you ever use the luggage rack?

Was that a factory option fitted by the dealer?

I would have thought it would have been a added risk for rust with the drilled mounting holes?

Reading this is like remembering a old flame....or discovering a lost one!

Forgot the headlight covers, they where trimmed with chrome, also the passenger foot rest or panic foot bar, depending on your driving ability. Old age is a curse, but with a little prompting, the memories flood back.

Glad to see that there are others that don't consider a 2+2 the ugly duckling of the family...

You made me chuckle with your "old flame" and "memories flood back" commentary.

Glad I can be of assistance with your memory and hope the memories were all great ones ;)

With the "panic foot bar" was this an option and if so when (what year) did this become an option and was it ever a standard fitment?

When I first saw this bar I thought it was a aftermarket owner fitted part for rally purposes - that is so that the Navigator has something to press as an imaginary brake.

Well the luggage rack on the coupe had adjustable slide/width 'L' brackets, so no screw/bolt holes, it was an aftermarket accessory I purchased that the dealer was keen to move, but it was never actually functionally used, I purchased it and the car from John Roxborough Motors in South Melbourne.........no longer there now!

I see this Zed has come up, auto with no air though!!

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car14.html

This particular Z for sale appears to have modified carbies & air filters & airbox & oil breather pipe, a chromium grille, missing the plastic fusible link cover but has an original drivers door mirror, an excellent example and original uncracked dashboard by the looks of it!!

My 260Z I purchased, I still visit the original lady owner (an old friend now) when I am down visiting in Melbourne.

There was an original 260Z in NSW at the Nationals 2005 and I kid you not a perfect example if you could get onto this car I am sure it is one you would kill for? I have attached photos.

Lynton 8)

post-24-144023562674_thumb.jpg

post-24-144023562681_thumb.jpg