Sign in to follow this  
zedhead26

280zx 2+2 1982 best suspension choice?

Hi guys,

i have just recently had an rb26dett converted into my zed.

am now in the prosess of putting in the r200 and giving it a good suspension setup.

some feedback on good shocks and springs (also where i can get them) for the 280s would be apreciated.

I think we need more info about the purpose of the car.

If you are just after a sporty road car then I found Pedders sports shocks and springs to be excellent although the back end rolls just a little more than I'd like.

I know I'll probably get shot down for it....but I am very happy with the result.

If you are after a track car then you start talking about Bilsteins or Konis??? 

sorry guys im new to the forums.

yea im just looking for a sport/street style something thats going to handle nicely.  i hear the kyb shock and kingspring setup work well

im really only wanting to spend $600 max

$600 ?  A little optimistic me thinks Are you talking about second hand? If so I might have some in the shed.

RB26dett and $600 suspension?  ??? surely you would be wanting suspension with performance on par with your engine?  :-X

I'd also be looking at a healthy brake upgrade before suspension!

+1

A $600 suspension and standard brakes won't do an RB26DETT justice.

Get Koni Yellows and 300ZX 4 spots as a minimum for something with chassis twisting power

Bigger brakes are always good but then there are the engineering fees. The 280zx brakes are quite good, they were a vast improvement on the 240/260. The standard brakes have good pad area and the rotors are ventilated. The weight of the car is not increasing with the engine conversion so I would be leaving them in place.

Put it this way the standard brakes will easily out perform any road tyre so any benefit from an upgrade would not be realised without significant upgrade to track tyres too. 

Although if it is a series 1  280zx I would seriously consider an upgrade to the back to series 2.

Bigger brakes are always good but then there are the engineering fees. The 280zx brakes are quite good, they were a vast improvement on the 240/260. The standard brakes have good pad area and the rotors are ventilated. The weight of the car is not increasing with the engine conversion so I would be leaving them in place.

Put it this way the standard brakes will easily out perform any road tyre so any benefit from an upgrade would not be realised without significant upgrade to track tyres too. 

Although if it is a series 1  280zx I would seriously consider an upgrade to the back to series 2.

I have upgraded my fronts to 4 spot calipers and the difference is HUGE. (larger dia and thicker too)

Are series 2 actually better?

I have series 2 and sold my series 1 to Lurch years back, the series 1 are larger dia...

Yeah, I'm certainly not suggesting the 280zx brakes are the best possible solution. I am saying that they are not bad and if there is a budget involved I would focus the cash on suspension and tyres first. I am sure 4 spot brakes are better but whats the point if the tyres lock up when you only use 50% of the braking potential. If you have better tyres then you might be able to use 75% of the potential which then justifies the upgrade.

I have never had any problem with my standard 280 brakes. Even under heavy abuse....

These comments are specifically regarding the 280zx as the priorities are totally different for the 240 or 260.

I have Ford BA brakes on my 240. Again they are not the best brakes possible but even with track tyres the tyres give way long before the brakes so what is the point in spending more money to get the absolute best, when the tyres will still give way at exactly the same point.

Yes the series 2 rear brakes are significantly bigger. The discs are the same it is just the caliper and pad size that differ. I estimate a 40% increase in surface area (don't quote me on that )

With the weight of the 280 not increasing much with the RB engine, power/top speed will surely increase meaning trying to pull up a 280ZX with brakes designed for a engine with a quarter of the power IMO would need something a little more adequate. Not saying 330mm discs and 6 pot calipers but a setup similar to Simon's should suffice. Since the engineer is already looking at the engine, have the brakes done too... Just my thoughts...

I still don't get the logic.

On my 280zx I had Yokohamas which where quite good. With those Tyres lets say I push my foot 75% on the brake at a certain speed before the tyres give way. Then I spend big dollars getting a brake upgrade. Now I push my foot 50% on the pedel at the same speed before the tyres give way. What is the advantage?

My point is that the tyres will always give way under the same load. Massive brakes will not change that one little bit.

If you could push the brakes 100% without the tyres giving way, or they were fading after heavy use then a brake upgrade would be justified. But I have never had either of those on my 280zx.

Again I am not suggesting that a brake upgrade is not a good thing. I use the same logic for all components of the car. Focus on the weakest link. In the case of the 280zx I believe the weakest link for stopping is the tyres. Through some 15/7s on with some street legal slicks, then the weakest link would become the brakes.

Thats my two bobs worth :)

The way I'm thinking, I'm not talking about just one stop. Planes for example have small setups for what they do. They are only good enough for one stop then over heat and have hours or even a day to cool before they are needed again. With a 280ZX with a huge power plant, after multiple high speed stops, you will need some decent hardware. For city driving it should be fine, but say you were to go along the Great Ocean road, you will find their limits. Plus changing tyres puts a bit more stress on brakes. Going to a semi slick from a road tyre offering more grip, will make it harder to lock up.

To me, the faster you go, the better you have to stop!

I still don't get the logic.

On my 280zx I had Yokohamas which where quite good. With those Tyres lets say I push my foot 75% on the brake at a certain speed before the tyres give way. Then I spend big dollars getting a brake upgrade. Now I push my foot 50% on the pedel at the same speed before the tyres give way. What is the advantage?

My point is that the tyres will always give way under the same load. Massive brakes will not change that one little bit.

One thing you are forgetting about the advantage of going to bigger brakes is the heat. Like you said above, only after the upgrade, only having to press 50% on the pedal, you decreased pedal effort and heat in the brakes. Both of these very favorable! It's upto the owner what he wants to do first... I'm just recommending what I would do first..