USA Zed's - converting LHD to RHD....

Shan

Hi Guys,

Posted here on the site a couple of times...still looking to buy a zed.  Value v's condition is still a big concern for me. Been some great cars available lately, but price in some cases has been higher than I would anticipate.  Either that or condition and mod's (interior/engine) making the cars price  unsuitable for me.  This being the case, my eyes have wandered to more distant places. With Oz $dollar being as is it is, cars in the states have been looking better to me.  Even with delivery (been quoted $1200 from LA), some of these cars are offering excellent value. Particularly, low-rust california cars.

Converting to RHD drive?  Worth it?  Too hard? 

Been trying to think of the pitfalls...

Firewall - will it allow for conversion?  Are the holes there already?

Brakebooster?  Battery? Dash? Wiring looms? Accelerator? Clutch?  There is a bit to move around/replace....just wondering if anyone has bothered before?  Opinions? Stick with local purchase perhaps?

Yeah - I know that.  Customs charges, GST etc.  Did not know about quarantine charges - makes sense though that they would wanna store it for a period. 

After some further thought I am thinking that getting a 240z from the USA is a bad idea. Forgive me for stupid post...the moment has passed ; )  Even if I can pickup something with everything I want at a great price for US, conversion will be a pain.  Will continue to wait for the right Oz vehicle methinks...

Recently seen some 260z 2+2 pics that are making me think twice about 240z project anyway...

Cheers.

• Moderators

I've done a dash conversion on a US 240Z (and other odds and ends) to convert to RHD and there are a few more differences. Wipers are on the other side and it's not as simple as swapping a wiper motor and arms; chassis underneath has to be modified. Interior bonnet release has to be moved among other things. A new dashboard and loom will have to be sourced. To me, it's not worth it...I'd leave it left hand drive and enjoy!

If you find a real clean 240 in the US, that's original as for a great price, might be worthwhile importing it and leaving it LHD. If I ever go there that's one thing I'll be on the hunt for...

If the imported vehicle is over 30 years old you do not have to convert to right hand drive.

Upgrading of some lighting [headlights to point in the correct direction ] ,seatbelts perhaps and on some cars indicators otherwise it can be kept as is.

• Moderators

Dimitri, I'm tipping your reffering to Georges car. Yep and you can still notice it's a non aussy car if youtake a walk around it. Reallyt cool to see a US spec'd 240 in person.

Sulio

Yep Sulio, Not many people know of that or seen that car...I have some pics when he first brought it to Oz, it was in a sad state to say the least.... Some farm animal was sleeping on the roof and rust was in lots of places...the trick of importing a zed from the US is to bring one without the rust! Excuse the poor quality of the pics..back then I had a .36 Megapixel camera..

post-801-144023556759_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023556766_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023556771_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023556776_thumb.jpg