suspension help please

waxhead

• Administrators

Then your ineffective at searching. Have you considered taking up Golf instead of Zeds?

The 280ZX is NOT the same as the late 260Z.

The forums internal search could yield better results too. I've noticed the results are not always that great and I've had feedback from member Sexual_Sushi about it too! :)

The plan is to eventually migrate all site content to the 1 Content Mangement System which will make search a lot better, but also more powerful at the same time.

To answer the OP question. 280zx suspension is completely different to the S30 series. The diff is about the only common factor, as far as I understand.

On that interesting note

I have a 1974 260z, its on wheel ramps at the moment, I replaced the suspension at the back a while ago, tokico illumina springs and adjustable damper shocks.

The passenger car has always (before and after) the change, sat about an inch higher.  Its almost un noticable until you level the front on stand taking it out of the equasion.

nothing looked out of order, (I replaced a bent control arm last time) but hte problem persists.

I just looked again and i found that the shock tubes are not the same on both sides.

One tube has a mount on it for the handbrake cable, the other does not, (and no spot where it has been obviously removerd.

My question is, is there a difference between 240z, 260z, and 260z 2+2 suspension tubes/heights/anything else I should be looking out for?

• Moderators

I have been offered a kit for 280z coil overs for a great price

I was just wondering if they fit or can they be made to fit within reason

I know anything can be made to fit but i don't want to have to cut the back end out of the car to do it

Wax, did you mean coilovers for a 280Z or 280ZX? If its for a 280Z, yes they are the same. 280zx on the other hand are completely different; spings, strut tube etc..

280zx

I knew the 280z was the same and was hoping the zx was the same as well

don't go to any trouble lurch

Sorry my searching is not up to scratch, I may look at selling my zed and taking up golf as you suggested

Any one want to swap my car for a set of clubs

Guys could we use S130 to ID the 280zx and Fairlady Z 280z (JDM 280zx) and S30 for the 240z, 260z and 280z (remember the 280z was a US/CA model only too with the rest of the world still getting the 260z) after all these are the base chassis ID's for each model.

S30 = early/70's Z

S130 = 80's Z/ZX

Z31 = 80's ZX

Z32 = 90 ZX

Z33 = 00 Z

Z34 = 10 Z

The above is approx decade.

• Administrators

For crying out loud - this has been covered before!

Seems like I'll have to write FAQ about Struts & Suspension now... ::)

(My first post edited just for you Tim :-* )

Maybe you should Lurch :). I think the problem is the information is here, but its scattered in lots of different posts. Time for sticky?

Your S130 coilovers will suit C210, R30, ADM/JDM 910 and possibly R31 (both ADM & JDM). for that matter, they may even adapt to the Z31 without too much trouble.

The construction of the rear suspension is completely different between the S30's and S130's.

(The more astute readers will notice that there is a wide range of suspension types in the above list, but the R30 IRS rear struts also fit the BW live axle R31, and the H165/H190/IRS Bluebirds...)