Longford 1967

PeterAllen

That's awesome, thanks for posting it Peter.

Unfortunately a highway now runs straight across the track and a lot of the other setions are in disrepair however I believe a revival meeting is currently in the planning stage which will use some sections of the original track if it goes ahead.

Hopefully Bluerat sees this thread as he usualy knows a lot more about these things than me.

Thank's Pete, What a ripper!! that's magic. We had our CC dinner Sat night and everyone was talking about the clip on u-tube, now i know why. My understanding of the Longford revival, is Historic racing at Symmons Plains, only 10 minutes up the road, display's and get togethers in the town itself. There was talk of a sprint type event on the 'flying mile' part of the track. Dont hold your breath on it, it's at least the 3rd time in the last few years the revival has been attempted and they keep stuffing it up, ie no paperwork in etc etc. The two bridges are no more and the bit that goes off the start line, which is the main hwy now, under the viaduct is also gone, most of the rest is still there. You can still see the water tower, just near the start line and if your ever in Longford, the Pub has an excellent display of photo's and stories. I've collected and scanned 100's of photo's of the event over the years and if you ever get a chance, Barry Oliver is a real guru on the subject. Longford holds a fantastic street stage in Targa every year as well.

bluerat - There are plenty of Australian threads on that site which should have references to Longford. There was something not so long ago about Wally Mitchell (sp). Here is an example:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=93148

There are plenty of enthusiast who would love to see your photos so you might care to post. My slides sat forgotten in their boxes for 30+ years and people now ooh and arr over them.

Here is a photo supplied by Terry Walker on that thread. Bruce McLaren and Graham Hill at Longford. Note the parade cars.

post-684-144023551488_thumb.jpg

Great photo there Pete, I'm sure thats on the 'Long weekend at Longford' DVD, they are travling in style!! wonder if the Fairladies stayed in Tassie?? Funny you say the above, My father in-law had a heap, and after scanning them and getting a few out there he sold the right's to them to a photo library. It's amazing what's out there, locked up in peoples cupboards.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, I had a top day at the Longford revival yesterday, there was a fantastic display of cars and some very quick run's down the flying mile. I didnt get to meet Walter the Legend as he was out pace noting but we all got dressed up in the 60's gear, drunk plenty of wine and had a ball, Dont buy a used Porsche or Ferrari off this dodgy bloke.....

post-1057-144023618808_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023618811_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023618816_thumb.jpg

LOL yeah it sure goes alright for a Daewoo!!

If your interested.... I could do you a real good deal on Moby..only done a few 1000kms in France...

The 956's are tiny, they always look huge in photos'. Fastest thing there was a Hybusa (DLRA Lake Gairdner) at 280km/h, fastest cars were the Brock 24hour Monaro and a blown EFGT (On Sat). The Porsches were only taken to just over 200..Best sounding was Moffets Mustang from the Bowden collection. Theres a Courier company down here that better cough up some Sponsership so we can see Scando having a run next year?? Great event.