The Lancefeild Collection (13 Zeds in a Paddock).

Sirpent

Hey Sirpent. Rest asured that most of us on here understand exactly what you're doing and where you're coming from. Not to mention the huge appreciation for what you're doing. As garreth says. Perhaps if this situation comes up in the future we should leave contact details out of the equation until the info is finalised. But all of this is completely up to the vendor and in this case it is John. I just hope that the amount of interest doesn't provide false inflation on the vehicles and that they are bought for the right reasons and hopefully restored and added to the fold rather than being bought for one particular part and then ripped apart by vultures. Just my 2c for what it's worth.  ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Well I knew a lot of people were looking for Z's, but 40 odd people showing up? That's just crazy, I have a feeling at this rate you are right, the Z will be the next XB / XC Falcon and the days of finding a bargain are becoming increasingly limited.

I have to agree with Hunterzed, and say thanks for taking the time to put everything together. I guess in future you should keep contact details to yourself :).

• Administrators

Just to add though, he did have cars on Ebay and it was possible to see other Zeds in the background so anyone browsing Ebay with half a brain would have given him a call anyway or sent him an email through eBay to ask about them ;).

• Administrators

Oh and John just to let you know that we have had 80 new members register within the last 30 days.

That's compared to the previous 30 days where only 38 registered. So maybe those Forum Trolls did register :).

Time to bring up the old discussion of a $10.00 paypal joining fee at that rate, any serious Zed person will happily pay $10 for what they value, thoughts/

Rev.

P.S thanks for all you did John, more people appreciate your effort than those who may have exploited it.

Time to bring up the old discussion of a $10.00 paypal joining fee at that rate, any serious Zed person will happily pay $10 for what they value, thoughts/

Rev.

P.S thanks for all you did John, more people appreciate your effort than those who may have exploited it.

+1

Rev.

+2

i only sign into post, i'm not sure of how many others there are who do the same...there are many forums where you have to login to view certain threads/sections, and also have a section purely for donating members, and another again for admin.

i think blocking off the whole thing to only paying members would be against the welcoming nature of the club. but as long as we DON'T have a minimum post count to be able to put items up for sale i'm happy!

good work on taking all the photos and getting details, definately interesting stuff, and a lesson on the importance of a garage or atleast a car cover!

• Administrators

John - this may be of interest to you :) (See attachment to this post)

Where (not set) = people who have not signed in, in the last 3-4 months. So a mix of forum lurkers (trolls sounds a bit nasty doesn't it?) / members who haven't signed in for that long.

auszcar_member should be fairly self explanatory :)

12725_965981328589b3ca9453db5a19c0ad5cd70fdd48.pdf

Thanks Gav,

If I am reading that correctly, it was a big spike on and around the 10th when I posted the pics and comments, and a 3:1 ratio of reads of Guests to Members.

As Evan mentioned, it would be nice to have a facility to lock certian threads off to members only, I would never suggest locking the site off in totality to non members, that would defeat the purpose of a forum which is also to accomodate new potential members and participants.

And Rev does make a good point also, a minimal anual fee is not beyond any serious enthusiast wanting to be part of this forum, the question is Gav would it be posible to set something up where both Evans and rev's suggestions are practical on this hosting service?

I will now retreat back to my dark corner and think only evil silent thoughts for a stretch, think I have abused my average bandwidth allowance for this month...........  ::) LOL

Cheers

John

OK, I can't sit by and see the Sirpent cop all this so .....

He has done something very good for this forum.  It has taken his time and effort (he was even breath tested leaving Lancefield!!)  I know we all appreciate his effort and many have told him so.  My excuse is that I still know shiver all about Zeds (but thanks to guys like Sirpent, and there are many here like him, I am learning quickly.  My list would have red something like:  there's a rusty red coupe, a rusty blue 2+2 etc.

Sirpents concern about what he eloquently refers to as Trolls is the Lancefield John had several parts and other items stolen on the Wednesday he opened his place for what turned out to be a public viewing.  Yes he had his contact number in his eBay ad, but many told him they had seen the info on this forum.  Now obviously being a member of the forum doesn't preclude dishonest behaviour, but the thefts have a effect on us ALL.  ALL the members of this forum, to some extent have been tainted by these thefts.

Not ALL Trolls are thieves and not ALL members are honest, but I will say that in my experience, if a person belongs to a group then they tend to moderate their behaviour to suit the group and comply with the ethos, customs and requests of the group.

I see that the distinction has been made between the 'try before you buy' group and those that use the site and contribute nothing.  I know that I fell into the first group for a couple of days and I'm sure that most do.

I would encourage all to join.  Anyone who has a love or interest in Zeds has something to offer all of us.  Joining also allows you to ask specific questions and gain help suited to your needs.

My 2 cents ....

I must admit Gav, having a members section of the forum would be kind of handy.

I'm not really in favor of having a paid site since it would cut down on new members BUT if you made certain parts of the forum 'log in required to view' then I can only see it boosting your numbers of signed up members.

Ultimately even registered forum users can be dicks, it IS free to sign up after all. So it's not as simple as saying that we should only let members have access to information like this. Maybe we just need to limit what information is posted to avoid situations such as this.

John, good on you for posting up all this information, if I had been on the market for a Z I would have been very grateful.

Steve

Lurch,

I think that is the sensible way around it, although what would determine 'Authorised Member' for that specific access and how would you determine what information was to be processed into that specific zone?

The freedom of the site information is actually the best thing about the site and I am sure that is why the information is shared amongs its participants so freely, to everyones advantage, I am sure that is why the membership of activity is so high and rewarding and non political.

Lynton 8)

I think the 'Authorised Member' section is a good idea. Maybe just have it open to donating members? I think most information should still be under the free section but maybe the authorized section could have things like group buys for rare parts or things that members have organised for the benefit of others (like this collection).

I've still been meaning to donate $10 at the start of every month and making a thread about it, which would hopefully remind or inpsire others to do the same. Qld Z Car Club membership is about $100 a year and I probably get more benefit out of auszcar.com so I can justify $120 a year (when I can afford it ;) )

I think the 'Authorised Member' section is a good idea. Maybe just have it open to donating members? I think most information should still be under the free section but maybe the authorized section could have things like group buys for rare parts or things that members have organised for the benefit of others (like this collection).

I've still been meaning to donate $10 at the start of every month and making a thread about it, which would hopefully remind or inpsire others to do the same. Qld Z Car Club membership is about $100 a year and I probably get more benefit out of auszcar.com so I can justify $120 a year (when I can afford it ;) )

+1

P.S.

100 members @ $100 a year = $10,000 income.

Food for thought considering 100 paid up members would not be out of the question, that money could then be put towards facilitating a much more multi role and interactive site.

Then again, maybe this thread has gone to far for all of us to collectively stomach.

Cheers

John

Not yet.  He got $1300 for the shell and $350 for the 2+2.  Those prices would confuse anyone.  I can tell you he has been advised on the red 240Z prices ranging from $500 to $3000!!  That too would confuse anyone.

he sold a couple of bars for $300 so that suggests that whole cars are worth a lot more.

I have told him that he will make more money if he breaks them up, but will be left with most, if not all, the shells still to get rid of.

He was waiting for offers, but I have suggested to him that he simply nominate prices and see how he goes.  I think that is what he is working on now.

Both Sirpent and I (independantly) have suggested that about $1000 a piece is about right.

Correction.

Sorry Simon, I didnt indicate any prices to him for his cars.

I told him to consider putting prices on them and advising what he wanted for them, I did point out as an indication that a 2+2 (Sorry to the guys who love them) in registered roadworthy, if only just so, condition where a $1500 to $2500 proposition, but considering all of his were far from that, and required MAJOR work to get them anywhere near so would mean that they were worth a 1/4 that at best.

With the 2 seaters, I explained that a good example in the same registered roadworthy, if only just, would fetch between $4000 - $5000, but as his have rust spots in the major areas you could put a fist through, NOT JOKING !

And that 2-3 of them had a lot of gear i.e motors panels missing or smashed not to mention a couple of them that were hit hard from accident damage,

that they would be under a grand, except for the late model Silver one.

As I worked for AMMI, Folwes, and Autogroup over the years, there was no missing the "fluro penned" total loss numbers on some of the screens, I gather that he picked most of them up at auction years ago in the late 90's.

Back then a 2 seater would have been on par with a 2+2 and would have had an insured value of maybe $2500.00, based on the 75% write off method, the salvage reserve would have been $625.00, if they fetched that period, so some of these cars would have been picked up DIRT CHEAP at that time.

I saw so many of them go through, many stolen and recovered, burnt out, or Maribyrnong river recovered swimming pools, and they just wouldnt sell.

How times have changed.

Cheers

John

Such a shame those Zed's have been left out like that, hopefully in the next year of so i will have a Zed (doesnt seem too likely), but i will agree that some information i.e (cars for sale, parts for sale section) should be for registered members only (ill donate once i get a Zed then i can really feel like i belong  ;D)

Its great that he gave everyone the opportunity to come and have a look at his cars, pity some people took advantage of his generosity.