Mighty Mick

bluerat

Howdy, We had the Highcleare hillclimb yesterday up here in the NW of the State and Mick had his first run in the mighty LS-1 powered 240Z after a major rebuild. The cars is a real credit to him and he picked up the best presented car trophy for the event. It was great to see him out of the rotary and back in a real car, the Zed sure looks good on the track.

post-1057-144023549919_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023549931_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023549941_thumb.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Event was credit to organisers 37 cars and we had 6 runs by 3 pm

Thanks for putting pics up hodgo had good day car ran sweet just love the power of the ls1 sure makes warming tyres up real easy think need extraction fan inside to clear smoke though lol

The bug catcher was one thing i really missed once i put ls1 in i know would have been more of a sleeper without it but after night on the grog with mate we had a plan and it came together really well got smooth power of injected motor and still got my bug catcher

Was shock to get best presented paint job is nearly 20 years old but still looks good on a sunny day

Car felt great very happy with hp launched very nicely did need some control on throttle

Liked balance of car didnt seem as keen to understeer as it used to be

Might try some stiffer springs in rear and need to check out brakes there working as good as they should

• 1 month later...

hopefully i can make hillclimb on 13 feb took car to power cruise last weekend put car on dyno first time since fitting ls1 car ran 247 rear wheel hp was pretty happy mate said reckoned car was missing so checked leads sure enough a lead had melted to header new leads back on dyno 295.5 rear wheel hp and man can u feel the change car was fun before its an animal now cant wait to get out on track properly

mick

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Dropped my baby in for tune tonight kinda excited to see what improvements tune can make been running new motor with big cam 232 in and 242 out with previous tune

computer has had it running so rich compensating for changed cam

have replaced cat converters with hi flow ones and removed hotdogs from exhaust Havent got around to tackling long tube extractors yet have plates and collectors all ready to go

Can feel huge improvement over old ls1 package so hoping with tune it can get more lol Hoping for some big numbers

will post results tomorrow night

mick

Well got tune done today not without its on problems first the computer in car was locked by last tuner so couldnt get into tune to change it

Easy fix run home drop spare computer i bought off ebay told it was Vy commodore manual Dont believe everything you read on ebay lol was 2001 automatic firebird computer so yep more money need to buy vcm credits to access computer then more to override the automatic

Then i ring guy how u going No good just blew lower radiator hose do u have spare ummmmm no think it was a landcruiser one i got from repco or what ever matched the wire i bent and took there as a sample Got to tuner again and was just loose clamp clean up water and finish tune

So the meat of it old motor Vt clubsport with mafless mail order tune 295 hp at wheels

Vy motor with cam and hi flow cats hotdogs removed from exhaust and same tune 341 hp at wheels 

Vy motor with cam hi flow cats hotdogs removed and new tune 401 hp at wheels

how does it feel on quick drive home amazing smooth and just pulls like a train cant wait to take it out for a good play

mick

• Administrators

Vy motor with cam hi flow cats hotdogs removed and new tune 401 hp at wheels

how does it feel on quick drive home amazing smooth and just pulls like a train cant wait to take it out for a good play

mick

400 HP at the wheels!!!!

Man I'd be scared to drive that thing. Well done, I know it's been a long uphill battle with this conversion.

Thanks gav has been long slow progress lots little niggles and not enough time to put into car to sort them out but thats life makes u appreciate it more when it all comes together

Was hoping would have more time with new business but its been so busy getting harder to find time for car

Was worried id gone to far with cam but tune has smoothed power delivery out Dont think ill need the NOS kit that i have in shed for car lol

Now time to fine tune and get out and play with it

mick

• 1 month later...

Car looks awesome mate.That engine combo makes some serious power,would be a heap of fun.Its good to see another v8 zed.If I had to do mine again I would probably go the LS engine just for the weight saving over my ford v8 and I own a 2003 monaro since new and the engine hasnt missed a beat after 90000ks with maf tune pipes etc and made 234kw at the wheels threw an auto.So I could only imagine the combo in a zed.

The Ls1 motor is great motor and so much after market parts on the market for them. I took me 15 years to decide what motor to replace Nissan V8 with just so glad i waited for the ls1 to come out

Such smooth power and the big bonus to me is the 6 speed box cruises at 120 km doing 1500 rpm with 3.9 diff

• 5 weeks later...

Mighty Mick lived up to his name yesterday at the Highclere hillclimb claiming an excellent 4th outright and 2nd in class. It was a tricky day as the road had just been re-sealed and was more like driving on gravel than bitumen! Not ideal for 6 litres and a nice paint job! I popped my video camera on board for one run and will try and get it up on you-tube and also track down some photo's. Mrs. Bluerat was spectating for a couple of runs and said 'Why dont you put one of those motors in yours!'....

Hodgo

I see where the Longford Revival is scheduled for early April. Are there only demonstration runs on the 'Flying Mile' or is it open to competition? It would be interesting to see how Mick and the other Tassie Zed owners would go.

Attending those nostalgia events in one thing driving me to finish my project.

They are having 'Timed demo run's' along the flying mile and the entry is $700!! might not see to many club level (or State) cars having a run. But should be a top event, they planned it well, after Phillip Is Historics and the Melb GP and It will be well worth a trip over to see, Mrs cant wait as we are all getting dressed up in the period gear, should be a hoot!!

Was good day at the hill congrats to northwest car club for organising another good event. First run was very loose road did improve by 3rd run but then want off fast .Was struggle launching car got to keep reminding myself to feed the power on not use throttle like on off switch Think i need to look at tyres with more grip too ,might go back to my 15" rims for speed events now i have raised exhaust

Sounds like Mrs Bluerat is a smart lady to me Hodgo cant knock the ls1 power and my zed was quickest car there driving home not like the trailer queens that where in front of me

Look forward to seeing video Hodgo was one of my looser runs for sure

mick