What should I do? Triple Mikuni's or EFI?

luvemfast

I am in the final stages of getting the car back on the road, or so I thought.

I have discovered there is more work to convert to triple Mikuni's that I first thought.

Here's a list of things that I have been advised to do-

Replace EFI fuel pump with lower pressure one

Replace Cam

Lash pads

Re-Grind rocker arms

Then Dyno tune for timing and jetting.

Not expecting any change from $1000 for all that.

This all takes time and money.

Or I can just replace the old factory EFI set-up. Since I have been working and a GTR individual throttle body set up for the future anyway.

So any advice, opinions or offers of help? ???

Simon

Well carbs will get you back on the road and apart from replacing your fuel pump I can't see why you need to change the cam and everything associated with it?

Your standard efi will only get you so far and you'll need an aftermarket ecu to drive your custom throttles anyway plus the many hours to tune that set up.

Go carbs like me then do the efi thing after a while when your bank account settles down. ;D

Go the triples Simon  :D Unless you want a wild cam the only thing you'll need is a low pressure pump. I use a pierburg it was bout $90, try efi hardware think they have em. If you do change your cam, make sure rockers are in good condition and just fit bigger lash pads(mine were 2nd hand) to get correct wipe pattern. Thats what i did with my 72deg cam, thats lasted 2yrs of racing and 4yrs of day to day driving.

Not sure why the cam needs changing either, but to my mind, if you are going to put individual throttles on later anyhow, why put the triples on at all?

Grab an aftermarket ecu, use the standard intake for the moment but turf the air flow meter and pollution crap, and get the aftermarket ECU on there and running.  You'll need it for the individual throttles anyway, and likely you'll keep everything you put on there now when you get round to the throttle bodies.... (unless you set it up for a dizzy for the moment, and go to coil packs later...)

Properly tuned it should give you a decent whack more power than the L-jetronic ecu (turfing the AFM helps a LOT), not to mention much better fuel economy than the triples  ;)  Chuck the mechanical fan for some thermos run off the ECU as well, and you'll be laughing.

Won't sound as good as triple carbs, but then again in all honesty individual throttles don't sound quite as good as carbs either (close though!).....

The final decision could come down to legalities.

I can go to carbs as its only on CH plates.

I've always wanted triples, since I was a kid. Can't beat the sound.

Here's a comparison pic between the two set-ups.

Not sure why the cam needs changing either, but to my mind, if you are going to put individual throttles on later anyhow, why put the triples on at all?

This could take me a while to do as I just want to get it on the road/track again and enjoy it for a year without any more 4 week projects that turn into 10 month projects.

post-396-144023548293_thumb.jpg

post-396-144023548308_thumb.jpg

Simon

Go the triples, when set up properly they will feel just like injection.

If you are coming to the NDSOC Xmas party then you can have a drive of my Zed and see for yourself..........throttle response is instant and as smooth as silk ............(Lou knows his stuff)

Alan

post-301-144023548474_thumb.jpg

The airbox is the rarest part of the whole setup.......it is off a '66 Prince Skyline GTB which had triples fitted as standard. It need some minor modifaction as the Prince carbs are stargard in height so there was some welding and realignment of holes to get it to fit. These are very hard to find and I came across the last in existance (or so it seems as we have tried to find more) The airbox boost mid range power, looses no power at top end and is quiet and EPA friendly as I have the crankcase and rocket vented to it reburning the gases.

The front filter housing is from a US spec 280z (S30 260z fitted with the fuel injected L28 ).........bolts straight into the existing mounting holes.

• Administrators

Simon

Go the triples, when set up properly they will feel just like injection.

If you are coming to the NDSOC Xmas party then you can have a drive of my Zed and see for yourself..........throttle response is instant and as smooth as silk ............(Lou knows his stuff)

Alan

Looks great, I'd say any parts for a Prince GTB would be impossible to find now.

Do you know if Gavin Strongman ever made more of the Airboxes he put on his 260z?

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Not sure..........I did try and contact Gavin some time back but did not get a response.........and then I came across the GTB airbox which is factory tested and really works (and I tested it on the engine dyno as well) We proved that it helps and doesn't hinder performance.(as some airboxs do)

The GTB air box is flowed and tapered to enhance air flow........not sure how well the others actually work

Steve Newing also had an airbox he was working on some time back.

• Moderators

Steve Newing does have airboxes ready for sale now. I think they are going for around the $300 mark but apparently work very well; look very similar to Gavin Strongman's airbox. I intend to get one but firstly I need my engine built first!

Robco Engineering had a batch made for Gavin (useing Gavins mould) - Rob had about 4 sitting on his workshop bench about 12 months ago.

He might be worth a call - Ph No. is in the recommended business's section... ;)

Robco Engineering had a batch made for Gavin (useing Gavins mould) - Rob had about 4 sitting on his workshop bench about 12 months ago.

He might be worth a call - Ph No. is in the recommended business's section... ;)

If someone (in Oz) rings and finds out the details please let me know - might be keen to get hold of one.

Agreed, those airboxes look mighty nice.

I changed the fuel pump over tonight with a 260Z electric one and test fired it. It ran the best yet since fitting the triples.

Obviously they don't like running fuel at 30-36psi........ duh

Makes me think the reason that I couldn't get the red 240Z with the RB30 running was due to the fact I was using this same 260Z pump, about 4psi......duh  :-[