What you would like your Z to look like?

Toecutter

Real sports cars don't have back seats!

Apart from being useless, uglies up the looks/line as well.

you can still find 2 seater 280 and early 300s in NZ,( most will have gone to the tip by now)You don't need compliancing, and there is a monthly roll on roll off car carrier service, I bought in a car from there a couple of years ago, freight was only $1300, duty and GST bugger all on Kiwi prices.

Same from the states-You dont have to look far here to find heaps of unwanted 4 seater for your conversion parts.

I think I'm probably the only person alive who doesn't like Jack's Z. I really don't like G-noses, I don't like GT wings on Zeds, and I don't like those rims. Not a fan of the yellow either. Sorta leaves me screwed when it comes to liking that car!

On the other hand, I definitely admire the amount of work that has gone into that car, my hat goes off to him and his cohorts for that.

RUSS: I generally agree that a sports coupe should have no back seats, but that said, I think the MkIV Supra (1993-2002) was a pretty good example of how you can have backseats without ruining the shape of the car. It's one of the best looking coupes I've ever seen.

That said, the seats were absolutely useless. To get an adult in the back (I say an adult, because I never let anyone sit behind the drivers seat - it would require me to move forward and I wasn't going to do that!), the front passenger pretty much had to crush their legs up against the glove compartment. Not exactly ideal!

Doesn't change the fact though that the roofline of the Supra is absolutely perfect. :)

Back in the late 60's a sports car was a rag top, in the 70's it became a coupe, in the 80's it became a 2+2 in the 90's it became a sports sedan,

Back in the 70's a 2+2 was considered an older persons grand touring transport definetly not a sports car/coupe, then the RX8 wins sports car of the year recently!

I have given up on what determines a sports coupe/car.

If you like the shape...be happy and put your own stamp of approval on it!

I still like rag tops, I still like Coupes and I currently drive a 260Z 2+2 & a S15 200sx and occassionally a Z31 Californian I think we become to fussy. In the end it is all in the eyes of the beholder, so go drive an MX5 another great fun sports car! But really in the end I have a facination for Zeds! I think I need a stable of cars to stop me complaining geeez!

Lynton 8)

Back in the late 60's a sports car was a rag top' date=' in the 70's it became a coupe, in the 80's it became a 2+2 in the 90's it became a sports sedan,

Back in the 70's a 2+2 was considered an older persons grand touring transport definetly not a sports car/coupe, then the RX8 wins sports car of the year recently!

I have given up on what determines a sports coupe/car.

If you like the shape...be happy and put your own stamp of approval on it!

I still like rag tops, I still like Coupes and I currently drive a 260Z 2+2 & a S15 200sx and occassionally a Z31 Californian I think we become to fussy. In the end it is all in the eyes of the beholder, so go drive an MX5 another great fun sports car! But really in the end I have a facination for Zeds! I think I need a stable of cars to stop me complaining geeez!

Lynton 8)[/quote']

Stuff the MX5 :shock: , try driving the AW11 MR2 :D - now thats one fun car that has unbelivable levels of grip and traction when you want it to.

NZeder had a 2 seater 280 i think i remember him telling me. i do love the shape of a 2 seater zed and if i ever got another one i think itd be a 2 seater, but seeing as im 19 and its my daily, it just makes an inpracticle car like the zed that much more practicle by being able to carry 3 times as many passengers if i really had to.

That's the point, why bother with a back seat if it is useless.I've owned several that had them, just a bad compromise between a sports car and a people mover, and once you try to move a couple of people , you realise it's a padded parcel shelf.

Another personal opinion, everybody should own at least one ragtop , preferably English, they are the best leakers, first time it rains the learning curve begins. Forget the skin cancer, start with a good soaking!Ahhh.. the smell of rotting carpet,sparks from under the dash...

Also, a real roof is a bloody good thing to have when you are going down the road at 100Ks an hour upside-down.

Notice how many mx5s and BMW rag tops have rollbars that are lower than the head they are behind?The road will grind a few inches of bone off before they even start to work..smart.

• 5 weeks later...

gotta partially agree with you there Russ - everybody should own an older English car - something about headlights dropping out at 100km/h on a deserted highway that you just don't forget....also the wiring smoke that seems to escape at random times through the vents.

NZeder had a 2 seater 280 i think i remember him telling me.
Correct - I did own one - should have kept that one too like so many other zeds I have owned :( maybe one day I will pickup another one they do come up for sale here in NZ every now and then.

• Administrators

Hey Sulio, love the maroon ZG with Watanabe's absolutely perfect.

Myself I think I'm going for something like this eventually.

The silver Z looks like a real possibility.

679_.jpg

680_.jpg

Love this white S30Z. Makes almost 400HP from an NA L28 :).

Gotta ask for more details and/or proof of that. Sounds like a big load of bullshit to me.

Dave

No all true - The engine is not really a L28 anymore - runs a lot of Kameari Engine Works internals including the custom fully counter weighted 83mm stroker with 138mm rods and some light 89mm pistons. It also has TWM triple throttle bodies and ATI Super Damper. He has blown a few engines over the years and in 2004 his dyno showed 300-310ps at the wheels = 400HP at the flywheel. Here is the dyno sheet.SAVE0003.JPG

I think it is running 11.5:1 and the head has 38cc cambers running big lift/duration.

This year he changed his header for a new 6-1 drag header (looks like a Kameari unit - not cheap) and made 328PS at the wheels.

So yes it is a 400HP L28 only 328PS at the wheels :) big :)

I would just like to preface this post with my view that dynos are particularly useless for comparing hp values.

On the sheet you tried to link to which can be found towards the bottom of this page http://zhp.satokikaku.com/makingofs30/z21/index.htm

there is indeed a dyno sheet there that indicates 328ps. I really wish I could read Japanese (or that babel was working), because I can't see anywhere indicating that is rear wheel hp. If it is crank hp, multiplying it by a standardish conversion factor (85%) gives us around 275hp.

Which is inline with another page, where it is clearly rwhp, the dyno indicates a more realistic maximum ps of 275.5 at around 6700 http://zhp.satokikaku.com/makingofs30/z26/index.htm

That is much more believable.

The head on that car is basically stock and doesn't look anywhere near 400hp capable to my (inexperienced) eyes.

FWIW one theoretical maximum I have calculated from the high flow figure for a L intake valve I have heard of puts the maximum hp at 390, with a 3.0L engine making this power at close to 11000rpm.

I know such calculators aren't worth their salt, but there is too much of a discrepancy between that and what you are telling me, so I get suspicious.

Dave

Thanks Dave that make a lot more sence now - 328ps crank and 275rwhp and this does work with the dyno's screen shots shown :) like you find it hard to work out the language with the aid of bable etc but then alot of the time is still hard to workout the translation. Like you these figures are more workable with a Zed head in NA format - now if it was boosted then much bigger numbers would be seen (if build for boost :))

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have seen this car before, very nice.

Many of the cars from RockyAuto are quite nice and nearly all of them are for sale if you have a spare $50,000. However if you look closely there are often a lot of imperfections, if you thought quality body work was a dying thing in Australia then it is barely hanging on by a thread in Japan.

I was hoping drop by the workshop sometime soon, if I do I will grab some more photos.

Here are some older photos I took:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19690&highlight=rockyauto

I have seen this car before' date=' very nice.

Many of the cars from RockyAuto are quite nice and nearly all of them are for sale if you have a spare $50,000. However if you look closely there are often a lot of imperfections, if you thought quality body work was a dying thing in Australia then it is barely hanging on by a thread in Japan.

I was hoping drop by the workshop sometime soon, if I do I will grab some more photos.

Here are some older photos I took:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19690&highlight=rockyauto[/quote']

my god your photos .............*DROOOOOOOL* hahahhaha......

I will defly go back to Japan.......this time for a purpose.........been there twice in the last 3 years for holidays.

Where abouts is the shop JP?..........

Anyone know where I an get these mirrors from?

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10144&d=1133136346

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10142&d=1133136334