Zcar Nationals 2011 - Goulburn

Toecutter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In hindsight that was a poor choice of words on my part Geoff, so my apologies.

However, Zed owner such as Vince & yourself are the exception, rather than the rule.

I don't know of many other Zed owners from either SZC or NDSOC that have a genuine interest in other Datsun Models, apart from Zeds...

Hey Lurch,

Everything you said was fine except where you generalise about Z owners with grey hair not wanting to see other Nissan Datsun models.  You young blokes don't have a mortgage on liking other models apart from the Z and I think you will find that quite a few 'grey haired' Z owners would like to see the whole range of Nissan/Datsuns on display (As there was in 2005).

Cheers

Geoff  :)

We also have to look a little bit at the history, from my recollection the event started out as the Z nationals and grew to be the event it is now.

Also, isn't it up to the organising club to put on the event they want and only really need to cater for who they want to cater to, ie, their members. They are the ones who are putting in all the work to put the event on so they can put on whatever type of event they want.

If people don't like it they don't have to go and they can organise their own event if they want.

I have no affliaition with any of the clubs, but having been involved in the Sydney Z club many years ago know what work goes into these things and the number of people who whinge and moan about not getting what they want, but won't put their hands up to help orgnaise anything gives me the shits, and it's applicable to just about any club or organisation.

This was my post on the subject on the Ozdat forum

"At risk of copping a big spray............here is my take on the subject:-

Quite simply- It has been left to three clubs to host these events, the NDSOC (which initiated the "all invited" format in 2001) and the QLD and Sydney Z club.............no other club is yet to host an event of this scale.

For all the p1ss1ng and moaning and ridicule coming from owners of "Non Zeds" (lets not get precious about the word "other") I am yet to see anyone actually step up and volunteer to organise a National event of this size and complexity.I have been heavily involved in organising the last two Nationals with the NDSOC (2001 and 2007) and the amount of effort required is enormous (and we are all volunteers remember) ...........the ridicule coming from those (a very small minority) who do nothing constructive to assist in the planning or execution of the event is positively draining and make us organisors wonder why we bother in the first place.

In summary, I think I can safely say that the vast majority of the entrants to the last two Nationals came away with a great experience and all this talk over logos and perceived Zed bias is simply narrow minded nonsense.............you get out what you put in...........and those who ridicule and complain almost never "put in" .

So I congratulate the QLD and Sydney clubs for embracing the "all welcome" format of the Nationals and persevering "in the face of adversity"  , for those who feel the need to rubbish the event.........step up and show us all how it should be done.

And ask yourself the question

If any other club hosted this event (510, Skyline, etc) ...........would there not be a bias towards that particular vehicle that the club caters for ...........I think the answer would be "yes of course"

Alan Fildes

Life Member

NDSOC

any club, organisation, body, group, association, team etc will have their own DNA which others may find hard to accept and embrace.  I have to agree that boycotts, whining,and tearing down ultimately is the greatest waste of opportunity, whereas constructive criticism (feedback) and a willingness to 'roll up your sleeves' and be part of a solution based outcome will win every time.

Rev.

Ahhhh Ha Ha

I see the same people bitching and moaning about the same thing year in year out. Surely you guys must be getting tired of this?

It's simple if someone chooses to put on event in what ever format they like then let them. If you don't like it don't attend. If you want something else then get off your butt's and organise it your self. PZG302 said it perfectly.

Oh Lurch you know we have solutions for old grey haired, Zed owning ba$tards.  ;)

• 1 month later...

I dont know any of the background of this issue although I have just read alot of posts about on this site and "other" Datsun site.

I just dont get what the big deal is? If a Zed club is organising the event then they can call it what they want i would think?

I agree that all Datsuns should be welcomed and have always loved old Datsuns/Nissans. My first 4x4 was a 1970 G60 Patrol.

Anyway i would think you would have general classes , Zed specific classes if it is supposed to be a Zed event and other model specific classes if there were enough of that model at the event.

I was pretty interested in going to this event and thought it could be a good road trip with other Zed owners etc. but it sounds like alot of you arent even interested in going?

I know i havent added anything to this topic but im just really confused of what the real issue is ::)

I guess the issue is that its the Datsun Nationals...  Not the Zed nationals.  I'll still go.

As far as I know the nationals were originally the Zed Nationals way back when it first started and then was expanded to include the other models to make the event worthwhile to put on.

• 1 month later...

Originally began as a Z car nationals back in the day when these sorts of get togethers were rare and enthusiasm for other Dattos was virtually nil. So obviously a Z car club would in one way prefer to run a Z exclusive event but with the big increase in costs plus the current enthusiasm for other old Dattos it makes practical sense to include everyone. Plenty of Z owners like other Dattos too so its win win for everyone, a lot of the rivalry comes from stirring, very few Z owners are truly snobby about their cars, its not a BMW or Porsche club situation ;)

Hope the above puts the current situation in context, if any non Z Datto owner gets offended they need to HTFU, seriously :)

Originally began as a Z car nationals back in the day when these sorts of get togethers were rare and enthusiasm for other Dattos was virtually nil. So obviously a Z car club would in one way prefer to run a Z exclusive event but with the big increase in costs plus the current enthusiasm for other old Dattos it makes practical sense to include everyone. Plenty of Z owners like other Dattos too so its win win for everyone, a lot of the rivalry comes from stirring, very few Z owners are truly snobby about their cars, its not a BMW or Porsche club situation ;)

Hope the above puts the current situation in context, if any non Z Datto owner gets offended they need to HTFU, seriously :)

Its funny you mention BMW. A few of us attended the RACQ Motorfest yesterday. There was a very cool BMW with a Nissan SR black top and Skyline rear end. I suggested he should put 1600 badges on it :D

they need to HTFU

HA!!!

That is what I have been thinking all along.

I love the 1600s and the 1200s and one day hope to own one of each. But at the moment I own a Z.

At the warwick nationals I loved looking at all the "other datsuns". Some absolutely gorgeous examples (some that I would even be tempted to trade my Z for).

In the end though it was put on by a Z car club so I don't see the big deal with things being more Z related.

I think that the offended "Other Datsun" owners need to put on a Nationals in 2013 or 2015. Then it would be more orientated towards the 1600 or the 1200 or even 120ys, but it would still be a great opportunity to get out and see all the cars.

And if you think your car is not going to get noticed just because it isn't a Z then you are kidding yourself. People respect the time and effort gone into any car build, even if it isn't the car that they start with (I do draw the line at Commodores though).

Well made point Garvice.  When we go to the Car Show, do we make a bee-line for the Nissan stand and then leave?  I went to a Show 'n Shine recently and it was an old Dodge ute that had me captivated.  The work in that vehicle was awe-inspiring.

I would love to pour over a beautifully restored or a tastefully renovated 1600 or 1200.  I love the symetery of most of the Skylines (not really a fan of the 31's, but that's just me).  Lots of the 'other' early Dattos would be great to see.  I wouldn't pi$$ of a Tida if it was on fire, but I don't expect there to be any there.

We used to have the same issues at AROCA.  Pre-war cars were the meaning of life, 105's were great, GTVs were OK, Suds/Sprints/33s and anything else made after 1980 were 2nd, if not 3rd class citizens and worthy of only contempt.  There will always be one model in each brand that is believed to represent the marque.  This doesn't mean that the others aren't worthy (except the Tida).

I agree that if a group run an event, they run it to their rules and wishes.  The economics of the event will be balanced against the stress and complexity of the organisation.  If the organisers of any event chose in include or preclude any other group, it will be done with the economics of the event in mind.  If the rules aren't to the liking of a person, and a request is made to alter the rules and this request is knocked back, then don't go.  There is always the option of the disenfrancised putting up their collective hands and saying something similar to "We are happy to organise the events involving the 'other' cars, so as to reduce the stress on the current organisers and operate under the banner and authority of the organisers".

My 2cents

• 2 months later...

At the risk of resurrecting a stale thread (Lurch/mods - fell free to make a new one as you see fit), we should start a bit of discussion on who's interested in going to the Nationals. I only found out about them on 02/10/10, and have already started working on if I can get my car back together in time. I had my Stagea entered in the '05 event, and we had a ball (even if I was too scared to take it on the track!). There was a fine selection of non-Zeds at the '05 event in Goulburn, which did very well at complementing the z-esque focus of the show (including a KPGC10 replica). If my Z can't make it, I'll work on tidying up a few loose ends on my DR30 and take that instead!

• 3 weeks later...

Just jumped onto their site , they are still asking for registrations , so I would presume the Nissan  Datsun Nationals      "Hosted by the Z Car Club Sydney " is still a goer.

I hope it is, as the 240z should be ready by then.

Definately a starter if the car is

The information form submission leaves a bit to be desired, but there's certainly no indication of if not going ahead. Hopefully some more information will be forthcoming soon which will clear things up. Lurch, do you know the origin of the rumour?

Never trust FB!

Those of us that were subscribed to the NDN11 FB page would have received this message this morning: [Donna Lown canceled Nissan Datsun Nationals 2011. Donna says, "See website for update of details". 7:32am]

Latest update I have from 30 min...s ago is that they have only cancelled the FB EVENT PAGE, but the REAL EVENT is still on :-)

Unfortunately for them, they appear to have made a change and referred people to a website for updates - but the website is yet to be updated..... www.datnats.com

Maybe the organisers are still making their way back from their previous organising gig in Delhi hahaha......