z31 200zr

zedevan

dsc_0074.jpg

I'm sure many of us would have come across pictures of this car before [ http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=6734.0 ] and there are quite a few nice examples in japan

img8642a20czikezj.jpeg

most of them in australia seem to b the uglier 2+2 version, however they are eligable for importing, the downside is the import costs pretty much equal the cost of the car in japan (and the interior looks like vomit). although it would be awesome to get one thats already got an rb26 in it :D its about the only car that tempts me away from getting an s15...

Any recommendations for importers that would be able to get their hands on a modified, good condition car?

yedriven couple of these both 2 seater and 2+2. i kinda preffer the 2+2 as it seems more proportional. also prob cause im used to the oz cars.

Evan the old red rocker cover RB like in the 200zr are notorious for things failing. most on the end end up transfering the silver Rb20det over.

red ones have issues with the ECU, crank angle sensors, and coil packs. turbos are also smaller and weaker.

drivability is quite nice likes to have its rear end at 45deg when right foot planted.

other than that the interior can be bit shoddy which need some brightening up.

I'm sure many of us would have come across pictures of this car before [ http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=6734.0 ] and there are quite a few nice examples in japan

I'm pretty sure I've been in that 200ZR. Nice cars and plenty quick enough with an RB26. Obviously you have to be able to embrace the 80's interior.

I would consider getting an RB26 powered one if I was in the market for a fast car.

yeah the blue one isn't a 200zr, but looks the part...

for me, these cars definately fall more into the '240z replacement' category than a 'daily driver' category - even though i'm sure they could be ok at it when fixed up correctly! insurance also isn't that much nicer than newer imports

just thought i'd spread the love, and see how much love was out there! if the following pics aren't dam sexy, i dont know what is!

avion2.jpg

avion3.JPG

I bloody love these cars! I almost bought a black 200ZR a few years ago, but ended up with my 240Z instead! However, when I get a real job (and finish uni) I will be importing one for sure!

The black interior isn't bad at all really, just watch out for the horrible velvet blue and red, and the tacky tan leather :P

when I get a real job (and finish uni) I will be importing one for sure

the issue is though that for the same price u could prob buy an s15...and the only thing i can think of that this has over one of them is it isn't common, and doesn't have any stereo typical image associated with it. however when it looks nice like that blue one it probably isn't far off!

the issue is though that for the same price u could prob buy an s15...and the only thing i can think of that this has over one of them is it isn't common, and doesn't have any stereo typical image associated with it. however when it looks nice like that blue one it probably isn't far off!

True, but it's got that certain 80's feel to it. The s15 might be faster, but WAY more common, and I agree do have that race-boy stigma attached to them.

That and I used to own an '85 2+2 N/A, which was a lot of fun, and still had that Z feel. 200ZR however would be much more fun!

True, but it's got that certain 80's feel to it. The s15 might be faster, but WAY more common, and I agree do have that race-boy stigma attached to them.

That and I used to own an '85 2+2 N/A, which was a lot of fun, and still had that Z feel. 200ZR however would be much more fun!

Hate to burst your bubble, but I reckon 98 per cent of people that see one wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 200zr and any of the other nissan sports coupes released between '85 and '95.

In my lifetime having owned/driven most nissan/datsun sports models starting from 1965 through to current date, the S15 is pretty hard to beat as an all-rounder.

Having said that my only criticism of an S15 is the engine sound, yet with all the power and refinement of the turbo and slick 6 speed g/box I do miss the low down torque and engine sound of music, of the nissan six cylinder Z engines. Lynton ;D

• 5 months later...

Currently looking at getting a Z31 Californian, as a daily... stay tuned (is in getting inspection)

For what they are, and the cost etc, its a pretty good setup, couldnt get much better for $4k...

i have a Californian. I paid $3000 for it and love it to bits, it is very nice to drive.

the are no sports car though, there targa roofs give them the structural rigidity of a wet noodle.

Look out for leaky injectors, this is there biggest fault. if they are leaking vl turbo injectors will fit if you swap to the non turbo single feed fuel rail.

if you want to know where the ozzy z31's hang out check this out

http://www.auz31club.com/index.php?sid=fd50a7ac8c2e87817110e3fe7f32a51e

if you know where to get the parts from they arnt that expenceve to fix.

Just dont buy genuine parts if you dont have to

I rebuilt the heads and with new valves and replaced all injectors  for not much over $1000

I am about to have the rack & pinion rebuilt by adelaide z cars for $450 which i think is reasonable

There is always the option of replacing the vg with an rb if you want to make it easier to find performance parts 

I have a black '87 2-seater with an RB25DET.  It is a gem - low ks and is astonishingly quick.

I never liked the V6 Z31 or 2+2 shape, though. 

My car has all Skyline running gear and I especially love the gearbox. I have a couple of Z32s and the gearshift on the 200ZR is like a knife through butter by comparison.

I'll post a few pics if anyone is interested.