Sign in to follow this  
BenZed

Rat Rod 240Z

And people with money to fix rust every few months?!

Having said that it does look pretty cool dumped on it's arse, even though it would be totally unusable unless you didn't car about the unibody!

Haha there's a huge thread over at hybrid about this, they seem to hate it! Their argument seems to be that it isn't safe yada yada yada. I like it. I wouldn't own it and you couldn't drive it anywhere, but i like it.

I can understand why the guys at hybrid are jumping up and down about it! However I'm more interested to see what the reaction of some of the other forums are!!

I would say that I can't weld (still learning), but even I could do a better weld then this

IMG_9442_yuta_shakotan_S30_240z_copy.jpg

I have driven unsafe cars before (had one corolla that if you hit a bump on the highway the back end would oscillate back and forth because the shocks were stuffed. Only corrected itself when you accelerated out of the oscillation), but those welds are terrible.

is that a bottle opener on the back panel  :P

...tragedy..

I believe it's the overhead grab handle from a public bus or train. Its a Japanese trend that is filtering to the states.

2 seaters might be plentiful over there but in my opinion as an aussie, and how scarce 2 seaters are becoming here I think the s30 deserves a bit more respect than that. You want to practice your welding try it on your civic instead.

Hmmm i dont HATE it.. but i now see a defination of TOO LOW. Its just doesnt look right. Usually massive offset and lowered equals aggresive, but that looks totally wrong.

I with you Locky. I lov the Look don't know wether I could pull that one off as far as street cred  ::) ::) but cool. I Looking  forward to the baraged now of hate posting.

SpaMaster 

I reckon my Zed will look a bit like a Rat rod once Lurch finishes getting rid of all the rust!! of course the welding will be better though ;D

Logically, I should hate it, but for some reason I just can't.

Although, I don't understand how the back wheels work relative to the guard flares - it looks like they're touching, when it hits a bump how does it not rip off/smash the rear quarter?

i love it ... but ive always love "rat"rods as they are called

it looks like it will rape you if you even look at it the wrong way :D

problem in aus is that the cops would hate it ... in the states they get away with alot more

Logically, I should hate it, but for some reason I just can't.

Although, I don't understand how the back wheels work relative to the guard flares - it looks like they're touching, when it hits a bump how does it not rip off/smash the rear quarter?

Actually there's a simpler answer. Because it is so low it only has about an inch of travel left before the shocks bottom out. With the stretched rear tyre and the arc of movement of the wheel at that height, it can move that far without touching the flare. Even if it does rub there is enough flex that it probably wouldn't get torn off, just wear away at the tyre.

I quite like it, but have always liked the concept of Rat Rods. And it would be harder to pull of and look great than what people think it is. I mean, you couldn't exactly use a green door or something like that, it would destroy the look being aimed for.

like someone said above i want to hate it but can't.

it does look tough. though i probably couldnt live with it or own it i think theres maybe 1" of clearance between rails and road.