Sign in to follow this  
acf321

Cooling Ducts for 240Z

I'll be running standard brakes all round on the Brown Hornet, albeit with upgraded pads, fluid and maybe braided lines if necessary. However, i'm wondering if anyone has or knows of a source for front brake cooling ducts that channel air to the disk surface for these cars. I've seen a very simple and effective design used on early 911 racers that literally looks like a sugar scoop with a pipe attached and directed at the calliper / disk.

If anyone has such ducts, or knows a source for such i'd be interested in following up.

Rgds

Adam

Be careful when adding cooling ducts to discs to put them in the right loaction. Solid discs need the ducts right on the front edge preferably with a small divider. Vented discs need the duct mounted pointing to the centre to force the air through the slots. If that makes sense! Most of the ones I've seen are made of sheetmetal and the hose is aicraft grade stuff available from race car shops...bit exy though

This might sound strange but go to a vacuum cleaner shop and have a look at the different nozzles they have for industrial vacs. These are designed to maximise air flow remember.... They will also have hoses that can withstand a bit of a beating. I've seen it done on a couple of cars and they look really good. They just will have a few different sizes for tubing as well. One guy I saw had a couple of different sized nozzles and hoses that he could change depending on the air temp on the track. They had a bracket that was built to hold the piping in place that attached to the caliper mount.

Thanks guys .. will need to do a bit of work on this, but i appreciate the feedback. From reading the web articles on venting, one can seriously increase the efficiency of even a standard front brake to race car standards with the correct air cooling.

As i'm keeping the standard brakes for reasons of authenticity and weight, this I think will be the modification I can make.