240z Race car

dalee

Just listed, specs are impressive

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7755861&__sid=11FB29E915B2&__Qpb=true&Cr=11&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Decimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Model_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=834%201216%201247%201282%201252%201246%204294966615&seot=1&__No=30&__Nne=15&trecs=55&silo=1011

Last Modified Date 09-Oct-2009

Vehicle 1970 DATSUN 240Z

Price $33,000* 

Interior Colour Race Prepped

Kilometres 1,000

Colour Alpine White

Transmission 5 speed Manual

Body 2 door 2 seat COUPE

Drive type Rear

Road Worthy Certificate N/A

Engine 6 cylinder Petrol Carburettor 2400L (2393cc)

Vehicle ID 7721841

Brief Comments Datsun 240z 1969 Classic Racecar Race / Rally / Circuit. No Expense Spared Build

comments

* Datsun 240z classic race car built for tarmac rally and circuit work

Very rare Rust free 1969 model. Car is ready to rally / race with everything done, just a tune and dial in the brakes. The easiest way to get into tarmac rallying. Great fun, simple car using a tried and proven recipe. CAMS logbook. Replacement cost more than twice the asking price.

Chassis and suspension built and set up by The Z Shop in Melbourne. Walker Chassis 8 point roll cage. Joins to front shock towers. Koni 2 way adjustable shocks with adjustable ride height. Very balanced, easy car to drive fast. Fibreglass front guards and bonnet. Bolt on front splitter included (unsuitable for classic rally but good for circuits). Glass windscreen, all other windows are plexiglass. Painted alpine white inside and out and underneath.

Engine: Full race build ($10k+). L24 bored and stoked to 2800cc. 1000km since build (just run in now using Amsoil synthetic race oil). Venolia forged pistons. Nissan crank, crack tested, shot peened rods, ARP bolts. Head fully worked (330hp+). Arizona Z car baffled race sump. No expense spared build, everything done to make engine fast and reliable. Far too much to list (have all receipts). New PWR aluminium radiator. 3" Mandrel exhaust. Brand new Triple 48mm Webers, flowed and smoothed.

Custom Pfitzner Performance Gearbox (PPG) 5spd close ratio box. Straight cut gears. Fresh rebuild only 25km ago by PPG. Xtreme ceramic button clutch. R200 LSD (installed by The Z Shop). 3.7:1. Works Racing 16" wheels, Bridgestone Potenza semi slicks.

Brakes: Front: New Wilwood 4 piston race brakes. 310mm rotors, 21mm wide, huge vents. Race pads but still stop cold. Braided lines. Bedded in rotors fitted, comes with pair of brand new rotors. Rear: 300ZX discs with competition pads. Braided lines.

Interior stripped, race prepped. Marsh racing seats. New TRS 6 point harnesses. Autometer monster tach and shift light.

Nice Jigger!

It's great to see a early Zed saved from the restorers. On your note about the price Ash, did you see the two 240Z's advertised in the Octane magazine that had the restored x works rally car in it (August 09)? one was 22,950 pounds and the other was 23,750 pounds, both very tidy and built by the 'Z' farm in Yorkshire. What does this convert to in Aussie paso's?

back on track, I really hope you get what your asking, It's worth every cent, compared to what you see other historic tarmac rally cars being sold for, Zed's are very cheap for what you are getting.

When Ross built it he was running as a 2B marquesports car. The guy who is selling has done heaps more mods to it but it would still be eligable for 2B.

Guess it makes the 240z shell with a logbook I paid $200 worth putting back together hey :)

ash

To run it as  a 240Z in a CAMS event, eg Rally Tas, he has to run a 2.4 block and run a max capacity increase of 17% (2394 plus 407 equals 2801cc), but in a AASA event like Targa Tas you can use the 2.8 block and go silly! The smart move is the 2.4 block as you can run a lot more events as a 240Z, other wise in a CAMS event you would enter as a 280Z with the big block....with the fibre glass panels and perspex on this car has you would have to run in the C3 class which allows the most mod's.

It's a bit silly I know but there are different rules for tarmac and gravel rallies, and different rules again depending which class you want to enter. They are completly different to again to historic circuit racing and for that matter classic or historic gravel rallies have different rules again! If it was up to me, everything would be Nc Circuit spec......

Whats some more of it's history ZR240? sounds like a good thing.

To run it as  a 240Z in a CAMS event, eg Rally Tas, he has to run a 2.4 block and run a max capacity increase of 17% (2394 plus 407 equals 2801cc), but in a AASA event like Targa Tas you can use the 2.8 block and go silly! The smart move is the 2.4 block as you can run a lot more events as a 240Z, other wise in a CAMS event you would enter as a 280Z with the big block....with the fibre glass panels and perspex on this car has you would have to run in the C3 class which allows the most mod's.

It's a bit silly I know but there are different rules for tarmac and gravel rallies, and different rules again depending which class you want to enter. They are completly different to again to historic circuit racing and for that matter classic or historic gravel rallies have different rules again! If it was up to me, everything would be Nc Circuit spec......

Whats some more of it's history ZR240? sounds like a good thing.

Thanks that makes alot of sense!

I thought it would have to do with class rules

• 1 month later...

HI All

just found out this was actually built by Z shop and ross orginally. Sorry for the miss infomation on my earlier post.

Ross ran it in Marquesports in victoria for quite a few years. It was a good car back then and quite quick. It was running 240z carbs back then and looks like this guy has done quite a bit of mods to it since

Ash

Just interested by the few comments made that it seems expensive...

Has a similar car sold for less lately?

I thought his suggestion that replacement cost would be more than double the asking price was fair enough and would make the asking price quite reasonable.

Do I need to ask?  What is your opinion?  Good way to get into rallying?

Just interested by the few comments made that it seems expensive...

Has a similar car sold for less lately?

I thought his suggestion that replacement cost would be more than double the asking price was fair enough and would make the asking price quite reasonable.

Do I need to ask?  What is your opinion?  Good way to get into rallying?

Yep, definately a good way to get into rallying.  It's got all the right bits to be a competitive early classic car at a good price.

• 5 months later...