Sign in to follow this  
1600dave

Help identifying SU's, plus jetting question

Hi all - I've got a few questions about SU's. I'm looking for a pair of 1 3/4" SU's to use on a 2 litre stroker motor in my Datsun Fairlady.

Anyway, I've found these for sale - can anyone shed any light on what these carbs are ? Hitachi or genuine SU ?

Is it possible to fit genuine british SU needles to hitachi carbs ? The stock 240Z carbs will need rejetting to suit the 2l motor, and I was wondering what to use ?

Or an even more obscure question - anyone know if parts from the 240Z Hitachi and the Hitachi's fitted to the fairlady U20 motor (USA only) are interchangeable (this might be a source of appropriate needles) ?

carb1.jpg

Hi all - I've got a few questions about SU's. I'm looking for a pair of 1 3/4" SU's to use on a 2 litre stroker motor in my Datsun Fairlady.

Anyway, I've found these for sale - can anyone shed any light on what these carbs are ? Hitachi or genuine SU ?

Is it possible to fit genuine british SU needles to hitachi carbs ? The stock 240Z carbs will need rejetting to suit the 2l motor, and I was wondering what to use ?

Or an even more obscure question - anyone know if parts from the 240Z Hitachi and the Hitachi's fitted to the fairlady U20 motor (USA only) are interchangeable (this might be a source of appropriate needles) ?

carb1.jpg

Some posible help,

I have checked the info I have on 240Z round tops, there are 2 versions, the pics I have are almost identical of the 2 types, one being HJG46W and the other type being HMB46W, the main visual difference between the 2 are that the Depression chamber necks are of differing shapes, the HJG46W type are slender wine botle neck in appearence with a rounded depression chamber, the dampener caps actually wider than the neck itself, the other type being HMB46W is more like a stubby neck and the dampner rod neck is about the same width as the neck much like a stubby top would be on a stubby for lack of a better discription while the depression chambers are flat topped.

From what I can see, yours are the HJG46W units.

The info I have states that both types were produced "Under Licence" so Id say that they are basically identical SU's copies so the likelyhood Im guessing is yes to the jetting question, but please confirm this rather than taking it as gospel.

Cheers

John