Bathurst

Quandary

Seams this thread is being monitored by more than a few people, that don't post here... :)

Brother of Craig (ZZZ8) forwarded this onto one 'David Jones' esq. - David's reply is as follows:

A very interesting thread!  I visited what was left of the Datsun Racing Team in South Melbourne not long after I came to Melbourne (May 1980) with a mate of mine.  There were a number of parts lying around the place including a cast alloy 4 cylinder L series sump, fully counterweighted L16 crankshaft, etc. We only had enough for the sump and that now resides on a certain two tone 1600.

See attached shots of the engine before going back into the car in 2006 before the Tassie Tour, and one of how the sump sits low under the car.  Always have to watch where I go!

Wayne Coucaud used to work at Roxburgh Motors and has a few very interesting tales to tell!

I always wondered what happened to that crankshaft.

As far as Gordon Dobie goes, His 2000 Sports is one of the old Datsun Racing Team cars.  I used to pit crew on one of the others for quite a few years.  We ran the Australian Hillclimb Champ’s with it and the AUS Sports Car Championship.  Those were the days – before marriage and kids!

Cheers,

Dave

post-89-144023539964_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023539972_thumb.jpg

Hey PeterAllen, Ive never seen a Bathurst car with NSW rego plates on it, hmmmmmmmm think you may be right, maybe not a Bathurst race day pic.

Even well into Group C days a lot of the cars raced at Bathurst were road registered as the race spec was very close to what rolled out of the dealers. A lot of the photos of cars running in the mid '60s to early '70s will show cars running with number plates on the track.

A lot of the racers used the run from Sydbney or Melbourne up to Bathurst to run in motors for the race weekend.

Top thread guy's very interesting. Shame that 240Z didn't qualify for Bathurst, that would of opened a few doors now for historic's...There's a ripper article on Gorden Dobie and his Sports 2000 in a very early 'Hot fours and rotaries' and theres a huge article on the history of Datsun/Nissan including all the early Bathurst stuff in a book called 1986/87 Australian Motoring year no.5, which was put out by Berghouse. The book describes the early works efforts in Datsun 1300 Bluebirds, Jack Murrey in a 1967 Skyline 2000gt at Bathurst, the Sports 2000's and the mighty R380, which was a V8 powered sports protoype. In 1972 they shifted there emphasis to rallying, so as you pointed out the 260Z etc were private entries.

It was rallying that 240/260/280Z's made the biggest impact in motor racing in Australia. Ross Dunkerton won three Aust rally championships in 240/260Z's along with fully backed works entries in the Southern cross rally's of the 70's. In the 90's when 4wd's weren't as strong and relable

as they are now, L28 powered 240/260Z's were always a huge threat on both a National and State level, as drivers like Rob Devenish etc proved. Even today a well driven Z will well up there at a State level, Just look at what Brendon Reeves acheived on his L Plates a couple of years ago!

Anyway enough of my crap, keep up the good work.

• 1 year later...

Hi

The Datsun 240/260 Z range of cars do not comply with CAMS Touring car reg's and are therefore ineligible to run int the Bathurst race.

The Z shown in the photo's was built in 1973 by Auto Developments / Datsun Performance Centre, then located at 54 Beach Road Hampton, for Peter Tobin. The car was a 240Z updated to 260 specs to comply with improved production sports car rules producing 295 BHP and 244 Ft/Lbs of torque. Peter raced the car at local Victorian circuits for a couple of years.  I purchased the car and rebuilt it in the late 70's and raced it with considerable success in the Victorian rounds of the Australian Sports Car Championships and the Victorian and Australian Hill Climb Champ's in the 70's and 80's. This car was by far the fastest Z raced in Australia proving it's superiority over the Porches etc on a number of occasions . At the time I was also campaigning the Ex works Datsun 2000 featured on my website at www.datperform.com.

Gordon Dobie

Thanks Gordon,

But keep it coming, Im sure there are many questions that the members wish to pose and your appearence on this forum is greatly appreciated and honored.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

And here are 2 pics of the car, Datsuns R380A MK3 driven by M. Kurosawa at Surfers Paradise on the 26th October 1969, still looks great after 40 years.

]The Nissan R380s pictured competed in the Surfers 12 hour fitted with Prince Skyline engines with twincam fuel injected heads. I remember being surprised to find that they arrived from Japan with only one spare wheel each and no other spare parts. The driver of the winning car over revved the engine in practice resulting in a bent exhaust valve. When I spoke to the Japanese team chief about this he said "not to worry, when valves get hot in race they will straighten" This proved to be the case as the car had a trouble free run to win the race against the fastest sports cars in the country including a 250LM Ferrari, 5 litre V8 Lola, Matich V8 etc.

Gordon Dobie[/b]

post-2965-144023625171_thumb.png

Hi Gordon

Welcome back, before I forget we are having a get together BBQ next Friday, would you like to drop by?

The driver of the winning car over revved the engine in practice resulting in a bent exhaust valve. When I spoke to the Japanese team chief about this he said "not to worry, when valves get hot in race they will straighten" This proved to be the case as the car had a trouble free run to win the race against the fastest sports cars in the country including a 250LM Ferrari, 5 litre V8 Lola, Matich V8 etc.

Details we could never have imagined, I'm sure when I say this I speak for everyone when I say just love reading about your experiences and the technical aspects behind the history.

Also, this was posted not long ago

GD, what happened to that 240/260Z you mention? I'm sure people would be interested in its specs and whether it could be replicated for competition now.

Could you enlighten us?

Cheers

John

From GD.

When CAMS in their infinite wisdom dropped the class I sold the car less engine and gearbox to Paul Monk (son of the late Maurie Monk founder and first president of CAMS). Paul fitted a Rover V8 engine and box and ran the car in local club events. I don't know what happened to the car subsiquently. The 50mm carb's and Facey inlet manifolds along with the camshaft were stolen when my factory was burgled a few years ago. Fortunately the thieves were unable to lift the engine into their car and I recovered it from the lane behind my workshop. I sold the engine to a guy who was building a racing Z a couple of years ago

• 1 month later...

Second set of images car #34 look like Lakeside with the armco much closer to the track than it is now.

I wonder if he is related to Tony D'Alberto? Would be a good source of info if true.

EDIT #2: I love the interweb...

"JN: Where did it all start? Was racing always in your blood?

TD: My uncle Fernando raced a Datsun in the early days and my Dad was involved in the preparation of the car. Dad has always been very interested in the mechanical side of a race car, in his early 20’s he worked in America within Indy Car teams. So there has always been a passion for motorsport within the family."

(Sourced from: http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7166-0-0-0&sID=128011&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=9930460&sectionID=128011)

Also in pics the blue Bolwell Nagari Hardtop iis Ranald McLurkin, a friend of our Melbourne side of the family, and in the white Bolwell convertible is my old school teacher, Alan Edwards.

Recently I caught up with Warwick Steed and Col Matheison, ex Datsun racers and we had a jolly good time reminiscing, and most of the cars in the pics above were discussed

tamales son is quite active on here!, maybe he could ask dad to recall any of the older Datsun race cars for us?

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, just came across your page through FB, I started my apprenticeship at "John Roxburgh Motors" I worked on the Bathurst 260z 2+2, I fitted the roll cage, fuel tank and suspension, the engine was built by 2 guys, Greg Sutherland (son of Fred Sutherland Bathurst racer, and Norm who's last name I can't remember, as you all know the car raced at Sandown and Bathurst, the engine had over size inlet valves(SHH don't tell anyone) when we came back from Bathurst it was road registered and became John's drive car with the race exhaust and fuel tank still in it. I also did the same to a 120Y

that Bill Evans drove at Sandown, hard to remember but I'm pretty sure Bill said the 120Y was a pig and it didn't go to Bathurst, Bill and Bruce Stewart ran the 1200, I didn't have much to do with the  240K racecar back then.. 

Cheers

Graeme Hosking :)

• Administrators

Hey Graeme,

Thanks for stopping by, do you happen to have any photos of the car from back then? We only seem to have a couple.