i swear it just fell out

leonZ

i reversed out of the driveway put it into drive and there was a real messed up sound as soon as i pressed on the gas, the car rolls for a dew meters while I'm thinking what the hell, then another sound my drive shaft falling out at the gearbox, pushed it home now I'm thinking the gearbox was serviced and driveline tested less then a month ago also only passed its RW about 2 months ago from kmart tire and auto. should the mechanics have picked up on this?

post-1407-144023539268_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Broken Yoke or Uni Joint? Looks like the Universal joint broke. This I must say is very unusual, I've never heard of this happening before.

I'd be concerned if the mechanics didn't notice anything strange, especially if you have the driveline tested and a roadworthy done not long ago.

should the mechanics have picked up on this?

Anything can happen anytime.....Looks good one day and the next bad.

Zed's are 30odd years old with no warranty, So anything can happen anytime.

That's so we can flog them, break them and send all weekend fixing them ;D

Man my is still under its 40+ warranty form the guy I got it from at the pink pig. He wasn't jocking at the time was he .  ::) ::).

On a more serious note that what it all about. If it breaks you can fix it. Not some stoty nose kid with a laptop that pulgs in and tell him what wrong. That why i lov my "Z" and I sill have half of that warranty to go. 

regrads

Bruce

• Moderators

Not sure where the pics went that you took from the transmission end, but I think the uni bearings failed. If you look at the rusty part of the uni, seems the bearings ran dry, crumbled and fell out, then the cap fell apart and  the uni was able to fall out. Lucky you weren't on the freeway when it happened or else you wouldv'e been AusZcars' pole vault champion!

They tried that on Myth Busters, but it didn't work !

Have to say I'm not a fan of Myth Busters methods, they tend to 'bust' some where in reality it CAN happen.  If you do a bit of searching on youtube I'm sure there would be at least one video of a drag car launching itself from a failed tailshaft.

all i know is changing a uni joint on an old zed sucks the bat hard, especially when you only use a hammer, smaller hammer, stupid F clamp from woodworking and a screwdriver with the car on home made ramps.

i had no idea but the old uni must have been stealing some power from the wheels because the the car now A feels like its riding on air now and B dose higher speeds at lower revs and C the power feels alot more fluent and constant now also climbs revs faster, im going under the car with a greese gun tomorro see if theres any other losses in power from driveline friction.

everyday i learn something new that reminds me just how little i know ;D

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys how do i check the diff oil level? i think that's the problem, I'm getting a high pitch whine coming from the back end and as soon as i hit 90 to 100km/h the car losses power to the wheels and the sound turns into a deep brrrrrr, also the revs will not climb at that speed, then after i roll down to 75km/h she works fine.

PS. at low speeds the car revs nicely. and the whine doesn't stop when the car is stationary 

• Moderators

To check diff oil level, make sure the zed is on a level surface, then remove the filler plug with a 1/2" ratchet drive from the rear cover (top right from memory!) If oil seeps out it's fine but if no oil seeps out, add some till it does! Then quickly re-fit the filler plug to stop the stinking oil from spilling on the concrete.

LOLZ! Jeeze that doesn't sound good at all...!

There a 2 threaded plugs in the back of the Diff cover - get the car level, then unscrew the TOP one see if any oil dribbles out.

If it doesn't, top up the oil.

Easy ;)

EDIT:

Damnit Dimitri! That's the FORTH time you've beaten me to a reply!!!

I'm gonna get Pauly to beat you up for this...

EDIT:

Damnit Dimitri! That's the FORTH time you've beaten me to a reply!!!

I'm gonna get Pauly to beat you up for this...

Dimitri, You know Lurch goes first..Take it easy or I wont feed Korina's fish in Fishworld.(FB)

• Moderators

Don't know why people tighten the f#$^ out of a filler plug...as if it's holding the car together! Jack it up nice and high, try and get the longest bar for leaverage on the tool and undo...Brute force is the only way...or you can weld a large nut on it if it gets rounded and try again with a good socket and breaker bar etc..

Have to say I'm not a fan of Myth Busters methods, they tend to 'bust' some where in reality it CAN happen.  If you do a bit of searching on youtube I'm sure there would be at least one video of a drag car launching itself from a failed tailshaft.

I am a fan of Mythbusters. I like the entertainment factor. But I do agree their methods are not reliable. In this particular case they used some huge yank tank that probably had 2 tonne sitting over the rear end. So no great surprise the shaft gave way first. Do the same thing with one of our zeds and see what happens.

OK quick question guys do i need to take the bottom or to plug bolt off, the bottom one is a half inch ratchet plug and the top one is a square bolt which is 3 or 4cm off center and about the same higher then the first bolt

• Moderators

Remove the top one.....or flip your zed upside down and remove the lower one. If its impossible to remove, you can add some oil from the breather on top of the diff. But do your best to remove the filler plug on the top. You will have to do it sooner or later.

i ended up putting the oil through the bleeder to see if no oil in the diff was the problem i got about 300ml in there and it hasn't done any good i think i might wave the white flag here and call a mechanic. i have no idea what it is making the trouble, but the car is now limited to 75-80km/h anything over that and it sounds like a truck and has no rev response at all also makes the  whole car vibrate like it did before i changed the uni joint, i have looked under the car a few times now and the things Ive noticed are, theres no grease nipple at the back wheels and one of the ends off the joints at the back wheel is sunken in about 2mm not sure if either of these things matter though. ???

all thoughts are welcome before i give up and dish out some cash to a local scam merchant to fix it ;D 

lol at least when the uni busted i could see the problem :-[

• 4 weeks later...

they dont just fall out , sorry ok its normal yeah tailshafts just break an fall out like that , absolutely no sign or evidence of this happening prior, what you coudnt tell didnt notice anything abnormal prior, please let us know who your mechanic is we need more like that im sure , just see myself following a zed down the road and the tailshaft falls out and plummets through my windscreen and takes out my paasenger and all i can say to the coroner is thats normal its a datsun zed , why havnt you encountered this before or cripes mate where you been

• 2 weeks later...

PS. at low speeds the car revs nicely. and the whine doesn't stop when the car is stationary

Sounds more like a clutch prob to me.  Broken lever spring or stuffed thrust bearing.

LeonZ, what was the prob?