Sign in to follow this  
johnzon

240 front indicators

Hi all

Whilst I am still shopping for a 240 can anyone fill me in with the correct type of front indicators that is aussie spec. I have seen them on the side guards and my old one had them mounted on the front bumper, but most are without.

Also my old 240 "73" had a throtle control next to the choke. Was this not standard in aussie spec?

the throttle control, im quite sure wasn't standerd on a 73, you might be thinking more of a choke, but the 70 did have a choke and throttle levers.... 2 levers, when the 73 only has 1....

again, front bumper was put there for ADR purposes i beleive...

you sure you had a 73, not a earlier 240, as the front indicators on the bumper, and the throttle lever, sounds more like a 70/71....

did the car have grills on the rear hatch, like vents

The front bumper indicators where from a boatload of 73's that should have been delivered to the UK. That was a UK requirement, not an ADR.

Apparently there was a wharf strike in the UK, so management decided to drop them off in OZ instead.

You will notice that 260's don't have them....

Hi

Here is a different version of the bumper mounted indicators.

I though the ADR's were changed as of 1st July 1973 specifying that indicators had to be orange. Hence the last lot of 73 240's had the bumper mounted orange indicators fitted to comply.

The 260 that followed had the combination orange indicator and white parking light.

FWIW

Warren

G,day boys.

I have bumper mounted orange indicators on my Nov 1972 date of manufacture 240z ...Jimbo....

What really got me started about the front indicators, is that there is a 240 for sale and it has them on the side guards like the US spec.

My 73 Zed did have the front bar mounted indicators and the front lowerbrow lights with a single fillement bulb, Wires taped back for indicator wires to the lowerbrow lights as per the change. No indication on mine of a modification to include brow lights to a blank brow panel it looks all factory to me. I have to agree with Warren Z, I think this change was ADR driven.

My question above the bar or below the bar for standard I think above.

MY 2C

Steve

My 73 240Z was identical to sjcurtis.

I had to source earlier parking light units with 2 globe inputs, as i converted mine to the earlier 240 setup.

Mine had the indicators mounted underneath the front bar. I know that the english cars were mounted above the bumper, but not sure with Aus spec 73's.

I just had a look at my front Bar and the factory holes are under. I have 4 holes, two after market (read rough) on top, and two with chrome in them (pre-drilled) below. Also My guards are original with no repairs for the removal of guard indicators (Euro spec for UK).

I agree with Zedrally on the diversion of UK shipments to AUS, but I believe they were the earlier Zeds built with guard indicators and lower lip indicators prior to the UK mandate on indicator hight that forced the production change for the UK spec. This forced a market change on NISSAN or re-work of whole shipments waiting to move.

This would also explain so many people thinking thier pride and joy had suffered damage of some kind ie guard changes, too later model stuff with guard indicators.

My 2C

Steve