Sign in to follow this  
mouse240z

r200 diff

yes, my understanding is all 260zs had R200. Kinda weird cause the 280zx had R200 for the manual and R180 for the auto.

Just as a side note: It is a common conversion to use the moustach bar from a 260z to convert a 240z from the R180 to an R200.

Having said that I have just converted mine back to the R180 for a weight saving.

Wish I would of found that out before I found this forum, Allready imported 280z driveshafts and mustache bar from the states. (DAM) Thanks for your help.

No problems, no early zeds had an LSD.  There are plenty of threads on this forum about all this though, so i suggest spending a little time doing some searches on the topic.  I have and the others have posted a lot of info on the diff options, so there is plenty to be learned there.  If you can't find anything, then feel free to ask.

Good luck with it mate.

I know there is other threads but since this is recent, I've been talking to a few people regarding the R200 and if there was different types.

I've got what I believe to be an R180 in my 240Z.

I've just pulled a similar sized/axled R200(?) from a 260Z 2+2

And I've also got an R200 from a 280ZX which looks much bigger than the one from the 260Z and has the push in half shafts and CV's instead of the bolt on flanged uni joints that the R200 from the 260 has.

Obvioulsy the diff from the 260Z would go into a 240Z a lot easier because they share the moustache bar but what are the differences between the two different R200's I think I have? The one from the 280ZX is much bigger. Are any of them LSD from factory (I'm too lazy to check atm).

Diff from 260Z 2+2

Picture250636393.jpg

Picture250636399.jpg

Picture250636394.jpg

Picture250636401.jpg

Diff from 280ZX

Picture250636395.jpg

Picture250636396.jpg

Picture250636397.jpg

Picture250636402.jpg

Picture250636403.jpg

The bolts don't do much anyway. They only ensure there is a good seal against the rubber shown in your second last photo. I still think they are both R200 probably just an optical illusion.

A previous response noted that early zeds didn't come with LSD, and that is absolutely true. However who know what a previous owner did in yours. The only way is to jack the car up and check.

i have 2 r200 diffs sitting on my shed floor. One is from a 260z the other is from a 280zx and they are both identical with the same shafts and all.

Did the series 2 280zx have CV joints??

I do know that some 280s came with the R180 (the autos mainly) some came with the R200. Some came with CVs and some with unis. Its the luck of the draw....there probably was some logic behind it but I'm not sure.