Sign in to follow this  
Riceburner

240z with bike carbs, no more dellortos

Hey guys, just finished my latest mod. I've fitted six 42mm honda blackbird carbs to my l28, they are Keihins and are very well put together with strong linkages, the throttle shafts are even knife edged straight from the factory!!! Had to buy two sets as they are originally four coupled together, so with a bit of time and patience i managed to separate them and change the linkages to allow all six to bolt together. Had to make my own inlet manifold and re work fuel lines but after initial running they are great!

post-1489-144023535288_thumb.jpg

Havent dyno tuned yet, dont no if i will. Seems to go great as is, heaps of torque and they just want to keep revving, the trouble is finding road to test top end legally! Much better than the sidedrafts i think!  ;D

How does the silicon piping hold up against the heat from the extractors?

Good job!  Nice to see someone else using bike parts on their engine.  I did the same thing although using EFI throttles off a GSX-R 750 (42mm keihin), and I know exactly what you mean about how well made they are.  Puts all the aftermarket throttle bodies to shame when you look at them closely...  Out of idle curiosity, how are the blackbird ones held together?  On the GSX-R efi ones, each throttle is a seperate casting, and they are held together by 3 through bolts.  The linkage between each has a spring and screw arrangement which allows each body to be individually balanced....

post-42-144023535324_thumb.jpg

Pauly, made manifold myself from old su flanges. Then using 40mm aluminium pipe on spare head set up angles and tacked it in place. Pipe cost $40 for 2mtrs, mite get one custom made with all the smooth bends but this will do for now.

Neuby, Each runner is 125mm long and go up on a 30deg upward angle to keep fuel bowls horizontal. Extractors are heat wrapped, but will definately make up a heat sheild soon. 

Zeddophile, wow nice! I was thinking of tbs also. Each carb is individual with the same linkages as yours from the sounds of it, but mine have 2 rods that run through each carb top and bottom, once i removed those they all separated then i just got longer rods.

Pauly, the linkages are stock on keihins. I disconnected the old throttle rod from gas peddle and put a small right angle bracket on the end near ball. Then used a vs commonwhore cable all the way to carbs, the grommet on cable is a perfect fit in fire wall.

wow that is great. I actually picked zeddophiles brains over the suzuki tbs. And once i see what the dellortos do on the dyno might be/ should be going down this path. Saved this thread to desktop.

Mike

I was about to post a nice reply. But I think I need to go change my undies :D Nice job guys

Makes you wonder if 42 or 45 ITBs off a 4AGE will work  ;)

No reason why they won't.  Probably more expensive to buy two sets of than bike throttles from the states though - I think I paid just over $200 a set of 4, and mine are 42mm.  Do your research first though, many many different bore sizes in bike throttles.