Sign in to follow this  
RBZ 260

R200 LSD What Oil?

Hey guys hopefully its a easy one.

what oil u guys recomend and use in your LSD (clutch type) Diffs?

thanks

yeah ive got LSX90 in it now.

ive been hearing about the need of adding this additive in it for the old mech type diffs. but bit sceptical.

mines occassionaly open wheeling. clutches are like new before install so im suspecting the oil that i used may not be the correct one

any other possibilities?

cheers for the help

I know you need an engine oil with Zinc Alkyl Dithiophosphate for the correct lubrication of the valve train in the older style engines (ie our L24/26/28 ie tapped based - there have been many threads on this topic on hybridz and classiczcars in the past) - so I use Penrite HPR range and organic as most of the synthetics don't have Zinc/Phosphate in them - however some of the Penrite semi-synthetics do.

So I would recommend a Penrite LSD oil too - why they have good info on about their products on their website and we have been happy with the HPR range in our L6 engines.

thanks nzeder. As for engine oil i use nissan special blend 7.5/30W as i got an RB oil replacements are every 3500km.

in my SR20det ive tried lot of oils but found that motul 8100 was best one for it.

but since the car is not driven hard and detuned closer to stock its gone back to nissan special blend due to costing of the motul.i change it more regularly. motul i changed every 5000km but the nissan stuff every 3500.

most times i use catrol stuff what nissan recomends and go for the next level.

penrite ive used previously on other cars but dont seem to be sold on it. tend to return to castrol or motul.

nissan recomended lsx80 or 90 for the diff. so i got the 90 for more heavy duty applications. but recently noticing the open wheeling and got me puzzled.

most guys i know that run mech diffs recomend using this additive and they never had any problems. still trying to find out what that additive it is.

Good call - I will update the post above and state for the older tappet setup not the modern shim/buckets as they don't need the Zinc/Phosphate additive.

all good diff working fine.... nothing wrong with it... problem was the owner that is blind stupid and slack to check the tyre pressures on regular basis  :-[

15psi on one side while the other was at 25... than i wonder why it open wheels. pumped it up and now shes swinging from side to side like before...

600px-slippery_road_sign-svg.png?w=400&h=400

i guess my excuse is ... too busy and damn LOW profile tyres  ;D tyres are shagged anyway so didnt bother checking the rears. .... got it booked for two new ones at the back so should pay more attention to it.

all good diff working fine.... nothing wrong with it... problem was the owner that is blind stupid and slack to check the tyre pressures on regular basis  :-[

15psi on one side while the other was at 25... than i wonder why it open wheels. pumped it up and now shes swinging from side to side like before...

600px-slippery_road_sign-svg.png?w=400&h=400

i guess my excuse is ... too busy and damn LOW profile tyres  ;D tyres are shagged anyway so didnt bother checking the rears. .... got it booked for two new ones at the back so should pay more attention to it.

Haha,

Sounds like me, just changed my oil and i could have sold the crap that came out as black paint! its a duty of care we have..  ;D