Sign in to follow this  
fomoco_44

L26 vs L28

Hi All  :D

I need some advice\opinions on an engine swap I'm thinking about doing.

Story: I bought a rusty old 260z 2+2 off ebay a few months ago to scrap for parts. Body is gone(not a panel salvageable) but it was mechanically complete. I decided to sell the engine+auto once I got it running, as the L26 I already have is running ok. Judging by the state of the car, the engine probably hadn't seen action for many years. However, after some new fluids and gentle prodding it kicked into life. Dosen't blow smoke, oil pressure is good and compression tests were 150psi all round

Foolishly, I had it sitting for many months without even bothering to check what engine\head combo it had until last night.......turns out it's a F54 block with a N42 head(not sure of the cam, though I think its stock).

Now, from I can can gather, thats a L28 block with an L26 head?....previous posts have mentioned that this combo gives good compression.

So here is the question: Do I swap engines and take a chance on what seems to be a good more powerful motor, or do I stick with the current tested setup?...is the horsepower gain really worth the drama of the swap?

Current setup(P30 block, N42 head, standard cam) has survived a track day at Oran Park....can't remember what the compression test was but once its running again I'll check to do a comparison.

I'd swap it, it's really not that much work.

If your not fussed with originality then my opinion has always been it's best to work with the biggest and strongest platform to begin with.

N42's are heads from the L28 engines. I had that same combo in my 240 and got plenty of Hp. I'd do the swap, only cost is time and some gaskets. If you have the original L26 with matching numbers, keep it stored and modify the L28.

Just remember if it's rego'd you have to go through the hassle of blue slip to get numbers changed onto your rego.