L24 EFI ITB installation...again!

Zedman240®

• Moderators

Just thought I'd put up again all the fun of installing individual throttle bodies and distributor-less ignition on a zed with a L series engine. Sourced the L28ET distributor to be used as cam/crank angle sensor, and the splined oil pump/dizzy drive. Installed that last weekend; I'll post up more detailed pics of that when the time comes. For now just installed the engine/gearbox, setup throttle linkage and test fitting extractors/inlet manifold. Most of the fun will be modifying the distributor to work with the Wolf V500 and the wiring. I'll post up all the info when I know!

post-801-144023532748_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023532755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow looking good mate, there's a lot more room around the trumpets when your engine only has one camshaft. ;D I'll definently be looking foward to the CAS on the dizzy tech, I was also wondering how I could use an electronic dizzy and somehow get a signal for the ecu for the injectors. And will pulling a vacuum signal from only one manifold port still work fine.

Ohhhhh the questions I'll have for you. Good luck.

We seem to be awash in dribble !  I see you have done some pre installation ( plug going into the firewall near the battery ) .

What is it ? Where will it go ?

I'll be an enthusiastic watcher/envious/cross armed/fan of this thread.

• Moderators

We seem to be awash in dribble !  I see you have done some pre installation ( plug going into the firewall near the battery ) .

What is it ? Where will it go ?

I'll be an enthusiastic watcher/envious/cross armed/fan of this thread.

That plug is actually the 3 channel ignitor (ignition module) for the 3 coil "wasted spark" coil pack. The ultimate which I will do later as the funds allow would be 6 LS1 coils to do the direct coil on plug arrangement. Just have to do some re-wiring and some engineering to mount the coils and it's done. When I'm utpo the ignition part, I will go into more detail but for now I'm still getting all the info/details.

Tim, the Redline manifold has the last two throats joined for the brake booster; It's worked before with the last setups I had so this will be unchanged.

• Moderators

Hehehe... the more that convert to EFI the better!

Shane, I may have to pick your brain about that.. I've called Steve Newing about modifying the distributor so he should be able to help. He's told me he has played with them before.. I found an R31 trigger disc in my collection; I may have to use it instead of drilling holes in my existing one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Only news so far is finished plumbing the fuel lines, need some 10mm heater hose, going to take some pics of the modified L28ET distributor to post up and looking for a contortionist to help me replace the heater hoses under the dash. My intrusion bars of the roll cage make it impossible for me to do it so just have to ask some friends..After the dizzy is wired in, just have to bolt up the inlet/exhaust manifold and try and start it! 

• Moderators

Small update, had the distributors (yes, two of them, something that hard to come by you need to have a spare!) modified and installed. Just need to wire it up which is no big deal, only three wires; +12, Ground and Signal (60'). Friend helped replace the heater hoses from under the dash and next on the list is to mount the coil pack on the spark plug side of the engine. After that, and need to put wheels and tyres on the car, I can try and crank for the first time! youtube vid will follow..

post-801-144023534263_thumb.jpg

post-801-14402353427_thumb.jpg

So with the dcoe runners vs the rb25 vac plate (tuning wise), are you just getting a vacuum signal from one of the runners for the maf/map signal, and then the tps?

I've made my adaptor plates for mine to go from dcoe to GTR throttle bodies. I'm not sure whether to masacar a dcoe intake manifold by drilling holes and welding in injector bosses or get new cnc flanges machined with tapered port runners and injector bosses and get my own completely custom manifold made?

• Moderators

With the Wolf V500, it gets the load signal from the TPS vs RPM. If the RPM's are low and the throttle position is for example over 90%, it knows its under a fair bit of load. There is provision on the ECU to connect a hose for manifold vacuum but I didn't bother. Also, the throttle bodies I'm using have been designed to bolt onto a Weber type manifold. There is nothing left of the RB25 setup under my bonnet anymore.

As for which way you want to go, whatever works the best without spending a heap will be the best way to go. Just research all the different setups you can use and see which one works out for best performance without taking out another home loan. I'd probably get a triple manifold modified to fit injectors near the head and use the GTR throttle plate.

Looking good!  I will be waiting for youtube vids....

[sNIP!] Just need to wire it up which is no big deal, only three wires; +12, Ground and Signal (60'). [sNIP!]

My old man (retired auto elec, now builder) used to reckon that you could use a reluctor based distributor to get the same information using rising/falling edges of the output signal and was just as reliable and accurate as an optical based CAS up to a certain RPM when both begin to diverge.  I have been looking at EFI using the reluctor 280Z dizzy in my 240Z at the moment but the only ECU I can think of that could be adapted straight to the analogue signal is a megasquirt.

My old man (retired auto elec, now builder) used to reckon that you could use a reluctor based distributor to get the same information using rising/falling edges of the output signal and was just as reliable and accurate as an optical based CAS up to a certain RPM when both begin to diverge.  I have been looking at EFI using the reluctor 280Z dizzy in my 240Z at the moment but the only ECU I can think of that could be adapted straight to the analogue signal is a megasquirt.

Sorry to go mildly offtopic here, but another possibility if you currently have electronic ignition is to use the output signal from the module to the coil as the rpm input into the ECU, then drive the coil itself from another module (perhaps built into the ECU, perhaps external).  That's how my Rangie is running, as I couldn't get a signal straight off the reluctor in the dizzy, so just took the output wire from the module to the ECU instead, and used an ignitor inside the ECU to drive the coil itself. 

Obviously there is a little bit more to it, like locking the advance mechanism in the dizzy (which you need to do anyway if controlling spark!), and I think from memory I had to feed 12v through a resistor into the module output, but the point was it can be done that way if needed, rather than installing a trigger wheel + sensor...

/end hijack!

• Moderators

That can and I used to run a reluctor based sensor but that was only good for the earlier Wolf ECU that batch fired the injectors/spark plugs. Reason for the CAS sensor is the ability of the sensor to show ECU cylinder posi 1, whereas the reluctor cannot tell which is number 1 cylinder to the ECU. The current Wolf V500 that I'm using is sequential in firing injectors and spark; ie one plug/injector at a time. Saves fuel!

I've made some progress with my own L series itb. I've made up some dodgey adaptor plates from dcoe to rb26 throttle bodies. There will be some small porting to take care of and the subject of where the injector bosses will go, but other than that the engineering wasn't that tricky. Obvioulsy the tuning might be.

Picture250636378.jpg

Picture250636379.jpg

• Moderators

That's looking excellent.. Probably the best place to put the injectors would be right next to the head like a 280ZX manifold. Next thing you will have to decide on is the fuel rail; how would it be held in place and bolted to? If you can get somebody to weld on the cast manifold, you should be able to devise a setup. That's why I chose those DCOE type throttle bodies....eliminates alot of stuffing around!

Looking good rb30x!  How do all the ports line up?  You could go fully hectic British touring car style and put the injectors just outside the trumpets....mmmm atomisation!!!

Good point about the optical versus reluctor in picking up cylinder 1 Zedman.  What kind of performance are you hoping to achieve from the L24?

Ports line up pretty good. I used a smaller hole saw so I could continue the taper of the port runner through the flange adaptor plate so it matches the throttle body bore.

I'll probably have to track down an L28 fuel rail or make my own.

Picture250636381.jpg

I've love to buy the proper throttle bodies like you did Zedman but I'm too cheap ;D