Diff issues

Weekend before last I used my new R180 diff for the first time. It worked well during the sprints but on the way home it stated to make a clunking noise whenever I started to engage the driveline.

I had a quick look under the car. Without checking properly (only checked visually) all the bolts seem tight. There only seems to be play on one side of the diff (one half shaft).

I have not had a proper look yet but I'm wondering what the issue is most likely to be. Could it be that I have snapped something in the diff centre?  or has it worn in the space of one day?

Also when I looked at it I noticed that the oil looks like it sprayed up out of the breather tube. Is that normal. I'm hoping that it has only lost a little oil, not the whole lot.

Check over all of your half shaft bolts.  I go over these before every meeting and normally find a few that have worked slightly loose.  I also had trouble in the past with the two nuts that hold the diff to the moustache bar so check them.

As for the oil, it is normal for them to spit some out when they get hot.  I run a hose off the breather all the way up to my catch can in the engine bay to stop it making a mess.

Its like a delay in taking up the slack. imagine very lose bolts allowing the shaft to spin a bit before engaging the wheel.

sounds exactly like the clunk in my car Greg. We had it over a pit and think we have narrowed it down to uni's on the half shafts, but I haven't replaced them as I'm still waiting for my subi diff ;) I'm still thinking I might just replace the stock shafts cause I don't think I'll get the subi diff for a while yet...

Check over all of your half shaft bolts.  I go over these before every meeting and normally find a few that have worked slightly loose.  I also had trouble in the past with the two nuts that hold the diff to the moustache bar so check them.

Have you considered replacing the spring washers on the 1/2 shafts with Nord Lock washers?

Check out this video demo on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I was told about them recently by the local bolt shop when discussing replacing the rear spindle with a bolt and how I was concerned about vibration (doing this as I am about to install my rear suspension with a rose jointed rear control arm and want to be able to remove a bolt to adjust the joints + these Nord Locks are reusable)